Who uses a BFS setup?

• Jeff Schomaker

Am I the only one that became addicted to fishing with BFS setups this year? To begin the year it was difficult to find the rod I wanted in stock but once I did it was game on. I started the year off crappie fishing with them. Then come May I caught numerous walleye and smallmouth. Including my PB smallmouth at 5-14. What are your setups and what do you like/dislike. I will start. After reading numerous reviews I went with the Major Craft 6’7″ Light and 6’5″ Ultra Light. And I couldn’t have made better purchases. Super light and crazy sensitive. I put KastKing Zephyr BFS reels on them and for the money IMO they can’t be beat.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

OK I have to ask what is a BFS Setup.

big_g
    Isle, MN

It means Bait Finesse System… ?

Jeff Schomaker

Yes. Bait finesse System. Basically a super light baitcasting setups. 6 pound braid to 4-6 pound flouro for me.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It essentially replaces a spinning setup. Some anglers, more specifically in the south, prefer bait casters over spinning when bass fishing. Traditionally, bait casters were designed for power fishing methods, using heavier lures. Not for smaller lures like ned rigs. Well now someone decided they didn’t like spinning steups so they’re using a bait caster for finesse fishing.

I’m fine using a spinning setup. Don’t get sucked into the BFS nonsense.

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

Interesting. Thanks for posting, I much prefer casting setups to spinning so I’ll look into this!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Yes. Bait finesse System. Basically a super light baitcasting setups. 6 pound braid to 4-6 pound flouro for me.

Thanks. I had no idea. Never heard the term before. I current use a spinning setup for all my light applications. I have a hard idea understanding how a baitcasting setup can do it near as well. Simply due to design.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Interesting. This fills a real gap in my fishing. I’ve always wanted to create a massive backlash using light line but I’ve never had the chance. Until now!

Seriously though, I can see the potential.

Jeff Schomaker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jeff Schomaker wrote:</div>

Thanks. I had no idea. Never heard the term before. I current use a spinning setup for all my light applications. I have a hard idea understanding how a baitcasting setup can do it near as well. Simply due to design.

It definitely doesn’t get rid of spinning setups. I am just a big bait cast fan and have found several panfish and walleye applications that I can do better with the BFS setup than a spinning. I am also much more accurate with a bait cast setup.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I went with the Major Craft 6’7″ Light and 6’5″ Ultra Light. And I couldn’t have made better purchases. Super light and crazy sensitive. I put KastKing Zephyr BFS reels on them and for the money IMO they can’t be beat.

How light of a lure are we talking with this setup? your not talking about fishing 1/64 or 1/32 oz. jigs are we?

Jeff Schomaker

Interesting. This fills a real gap in my fishing. I’ve always wanted to create a massive backlash using light line but I’ve never had the chance. Until now!

Seriously though, I can see the potential.

Been using it since late February and I have yet to blow up the reel. A few minor backlashes but that was user error. If any fellow bass heads also fish docks for crappies, imagine flipping a half ounce jig but its a bobber and hair jig. Killer setup!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t see any potential over spinning with the possible exception of line twist. Still, seems like a answer to a non existent problem. I can see guys from the deep south flocking to it.

Jeff Schomaker

I went with the Major Craft 6’7″ Light and 6’5″ Ultra Light. And I couldn’t have made better purchases. Super light and crazy sensitive. I put KastKing Zephyr BFS reels on them and for the money IMO they can’t be beat.

How light of a lure are we talking with this setup? your not talking about fishing 1/64 or 1/32 oz. jigs are we?

Depends on the application. I can cast a 1/32 with a 2″ plastic. My setups really thrive with a 1/16-1/8.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Depends on the application. I can cast a 1/32 with a 2″ plastic. My setups really thrive with a 1/16-1/8.

Interesting, I would not even dream of trying to cast a 1/32 oz jig with any of the Baitcasting setups I have. I have played around some throwing a 1/8 or 3/16 oz jigworm setup on my baitcaster but prefer the spinning setup far better. Then again it sounds like your setup is far different than the lighest baitcaster setup I own. As interesting as it sounds, not anything I think I will try any time soon.

Riverrat

I can see lots of uses for BFS especially from shore fishing. Further casting distances, better sensitivity, pitching. I almost got a dedicated setup, but decided to put the money into my spinning rigs instead.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Been using one for 20+ years. It’s called a Shimano Curado Bantum on a St Croix 7.6 ft ML rod. peace

-J.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I couldnt imagine using a baitcaster for real light stuff. But real light lures to me are 1-2oz when you are a musky guy jester

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.