Who pays for that?

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I see they knocked down the store at the Rapidan Dam site. I assume it was to keep it from going downstream like the house did. Is that something the county or state would have done? Somebody had to buy the owners out, I’m wondering how that all works out. Sad deal for the owners but maybe a god send as there wouldn’t have been any business in the future anyway.

LabDaddy1

A quick google search shows blue earth county bought the property. Beyond that I’m not sure.

Deuces

Store wasn’t much of anything in inside, seemed like a handful of sheds put next to each other. Sledgehammer and a can of red bull and a few dumpster bins could’ve taken care of it quick.

10x the memories stored there from lots of folks tho. Rebuilds are never the same

Netguy
    Minnetonka

May be a dumb question but why wouldn’t you get a house mover to come in and move it out of danger. Too much $$$$. Easier for the county to buy you out?
    Same for the house. Does insurance cover anything?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

May be a dumb question but why wouldn’t you get a house mover to come in and move it out of danger. Too much $$$$. Easier for the county to buy you out?

Insurance will likely use the “act of God” excuse to get out of this one, unless they had flood insurance.

Just thankful I’m not in the owners position. While it may all work out in the long run it’s been a hell of a week for them.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I assume if you live along a river you have flood insurance. You’d be pretty foolish not to. It may actually be a requirement if you live in a designated flood zone.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Seeing the house go in was amazing but so was the full size tree that went in a few minutes later.
    Got to be so hard on the family with their home right across the street from their business and now both gone.

Hunting24seven

What I read said they brought in a contractor to look at the possibility of doing this but the contractor said it was too dangerous for them to attempt.

OG Net_Man

A quick google search shows blue earth county bought the property. Beyond that I’m not sure.

Seems a bit odd. This would be a pretty fast transaction for a government agency.

munchy
    NULL

Takes weeks if not months to prepare a house to move. And when you have several “additions” like they had that were likely just a randomly poured concrete slab and built to suit with no formal planning then its likely impossible without serious engineering and blueprinting. Not everything is destined to survive forever, it’s just a building, thankfully everyone is safe.

munchy
    NULL

I assume if you live along a river you have flood insurance. You’d be pretty foolish not to. It may actually be a requirement if you live in a designated flood zone.

What I heard was flood insurance won’t cover it because it wasn’t actually flood water that took it out, but a landslide. Totally different coverages. Which is why GoFundMe’s were setup to help the family.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>LabDaddy1 wrote:</div>

Seems a bit odd. This would be a pretty fast transaction for a government agency.

That was my thought also. Who for the county comes up with a number and is it a take it or leave it number? Based on tax value? This almost seems like a situation that we are taking it down and we will work out the numbers later. Maybe it will turn out to be a property swap with the county. Who knows. It just seems so out of character that a government that needs multiple meeting and committees to do anything could move to do this in less than 24 hours.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What I heard was flood insurance won’t cover it because it wasn’t actually flood water that took it out, but a landslide. Totally different coverages.

Good call, makes sense.

MX1825

All I can say is I’m glad I don’t have to deal with the insurance companies. They will have more excuses than a politician after being elected. doah

The owners have my sympathy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.