Who fishes with spinners and chatterbaits?

• tim hurley

Love casting spinners into shoreline structure-even use them mid-depth. Would like to start using chatterbaits-will they replace my beloved spinner. Think each bait has its nich—-so who uses both and when?

robby
    Quad Cities

Wont replace all the time but…..lots of the time!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

I love Chatterbaits, and use plenty of spinners. Chatterbaits vary with the Original Z-Man Chatterbait being the best vs some of their newer offerings which the snap/tie connection changed and changed the action. I would love to try their newest offering, the Jack Hammer, but at $16 a piece I said no. I rarely if ever use a steel leader and thus lose a dozen or more per year to those toothy pike.
    Some days color doesn’t matter and others, you better have that one color.

Good Lucka and have fun.

https://www.zmanfishing.com/cms/products/chatterbait/

My largest fish was a 43″ Pike on a Black/Blue Original Chatterbait on a Lake in Chanhassen, right from the dock at the access 1st cast of the day at 6am.

tim hurley

Ok just waiting for someone to tell me when they would go with the spinner over the CB or vice versa.
    Thanks

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When you say spinners, do you mean spinnerbaits? If so, you can sort of buzz a chatterbaits, but a spinnerbait is better. A chatterbaits blade breaking the surface will stop the blade cadence. You can finesse a spinnerbait blade to break the surface and keep cadence making plopping sounds.

Outside of that, on days where fish might be finicky and the thumping of a chatterbaits too aggressive, I’d try a spinnerbait.

But on the flip side you can work a chatterbaits slower in shallow water.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

When you say spinners, do you mean spinnerbaits? If so, you can sort of buzz a chatterbaits, but a spinnerbait is better. A chatterbaits blade breaking the surface will stop the blade cadence. You can finesse a spinnerbait blade to break the surface and keep cadence making plopping sounds.

Outside of that, on days where fish might be finicky and the thumping of a chatterbaits too aggressive, I’d try a spinnerbait.

But on the flip side you can work a chatterbaits slower in shallow water. So if they are hyper aggressive, burning a spinnerbait might be a better option.

tim hurley

Thanks! Great feedback mpls-Anyone else have feedback on when to use each?

I use one chatterbait and one only: The Jackhammer. I own 8 of these and couldn’t be happier with how they’ve performed. I used to exclusively fish spinners, but I’ve found that chatterbaits work 95% of where I used to throw a spinner.

The only time where a spinnerbait >>> chatterbait is in water less than 50 degrees.

Lots of people are reluctant to buy a $16 chatterbait, and I respect that. However, if you make the switch to chatterbaits and devote your time to them, the jackhammer really makes up for the price. Works 2x better than any other bladed jig on the market.

(Knock on wood) I have yet to lose a Jackhammer to a pike. No leaders, just 20# braid.

FryDog62

Spinnerbaits when it’s clear water and relatively calm. Chatterbaits when it’s windy/choppy or murky water…

But this overlaps, switch off and see what works best..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Lots of people are reluctant to buy a $16 chatterbait, and I respect that.

I think it is funny. People put backing line on braid set ups to supposedly save money. How much does a dozen large suckers or shiners cost? Gas for one trip?

But I do understand, now a lot of hard baits and terminal tackle are over $10. Most are $6-10. But I now understand getting old. Those prices seem expensive because “when I was a kid” I could walk down to the Holiday store with $5 in my pocket and buy a Rapala. Two if there was a sale.

tim hurley

Mpls is right-all the money we spend and the lure is the final connection to the fish-make it good! IMHO

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If you think $16 is expensive for an artificial bass lure, muskie fishing isn’t for you. Artificial muskie lures are $16 on the low end.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.