Which power tools?

• onestout
    Hudson, WI

I was planning to go with Milwaukee but they don’t tell you much about what you are buying. Is it brushless, fuel etc. I went to the Milwaukee site and it doesn’t do a very good job of selling me on why I need fuel over anything else. It looks like Dewault 20v brushless is about half the price of the same M18, but again, it is hard to tell because Milwaukee doesn’t make it easy to figure out which you are getting, besides the price. Looks like I am going to go with Dewault 20v brushless, should be fine for my occasional use.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Just a homeowner who bought the m18 fuel for a k drill and general use. Came with a “free” hedge trimmer and I have also added the blower and string trimmer. I have been very happy with everything and will keep adding some more.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I ended up going yellow, Dewalt 20v XR(brushless) compact drill and driver combo was on sale for 250 and you got a “free” tool 199 or less with it. I think Milwaukee top of their line is probably better but for 2-3 times a year I will use it they should last.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m a Milwaukee Fuel guy. My crew probably has over $2,000 worth of the stuff. The tools last and really work. Our problem is we drop them far to often. Those battery’s are expensive.

DeWalt has also treated us well.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Been following this one. The OP has made his choice, I wish him the best and hope it will suit and make him happy with his choice!

I waited to buy my first cordless drill back in 1984 when there was the first clutch system that came out. 7.2v AEG.

Since then I’ve owned (not sure of the correct order but here goes) Two Super Cyclones by Skill 12V? maybe. I think I had this one twice back to back. Darn good tool! Then came either the Panasonic 14.4v or Porter Cable 14v.

Dewalt 18v was the first cordless that I’ve owned that the battery would last more than 2 years. Wholey Carp, Really! A battery that has a life??

Then in about 1994/1995 +/- I purchased my first multi cordless 4 tool kit of the Dewalt 18v XRP. I’ve never looked back. From that kit my first replacement battery was after 8 years! Say what?? I ended up with 6 hammer drills, 2 rattle gun, 2 sawzalls, 2 “Skill Saws” (sorry Dewalt for the name recognition it’s a tool like the “Crescent Wrench”). Small impact and a large 1/2″ impact gun and a small shop vac. I’m missing some other stuff but who cares. I also own several 110v Dewalt tools too, again who cares!

My main point,
    I found something that had longevity,
    It WORKED, had lots of Tork, and we worked it hard all day long with 2 to 3 other men in construction for many years.
    The tool (drill, driver/hammerdrill), only one ever failed I smoked a hammer drill, it was my second hammer drill and I lost one charger after that.
    Batteries I’ve only purchased 2, 2pac’s for replacements for the what,,,, 25 years that I’ve run them?

I’m sorry, I can’t complain! We set chargers outside screwing off decks in 100+ degree heat and switching out batteries while they have not had the chance cool and forced them to recharge only to cycle them through again during the same day. That is death to batteries!

I would run one drill to pilot holes in Hickory cabinet facings only to run 3″ cabinet screws with one other rattle gun for all day long setting custom kitchens. I can’t tell ya how many oak cabinets for multi living buildings that these drills have seen here in Central Iowa either. Usually I can get 3/4 of a hard day out of a charge, and these are not new units then either.

I’m without a doubt that there are Many great tools out there now! I just found a tool that performed and had virtually no repair issues, I had many of them so why should I not stick with them?

Whether the shell be yellow, reb, blue, green or whichever color of the rainbow, if it serves you very well at the cost that you find reliable and affordable, don’t mix them up, stick with one and work them!!

Versatility is key!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.