Where to go when you have no place to go? (Labor Day Weekend)

• Zack Busse

So, long story short, plans fell through for my gal and I for labor day weekend. We live in the metro and have a dog. Looking for an affordable spot to stay Friday-Sunday Labor Day weekend. With all the COVID stuff going on in addition to a holiday weekend, it is slim pickings. Thought about North Shore, most campgrounds are completely booked. Plus dogs are kind of tough with some hotels/resorts/campgrounds. Any suggestions? The gal would like some place pretty (hiking/viewing/water, etc)

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Go camping, large national forest in MN and WI, find a spot, setup a tent….and it’s free.

Reef W

check your PM

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ll be on vermillion. Big lake lots of free spots go Thursday grab a free tent spot

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

A lot of the State Parks have been full, which is frustrating

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is a small state campground on the Ash River Trail (Kabetogama Lake) that is never full. I think it’s first come first serve.There is a hiking trail there.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I don’t camp so I am asking the question. Do campers not like to camp out in the wilderness? Do they prefer to be around other people. I see 1 or 2 people out camping in the forest but not many. Not directed at you Lindy, just quoted you because I hear this a lot.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

I don’t camp so I am asking the question. Do campers not like to camp out in the wilderness? Do they prefer to be around other people. I see 1 or 2 people out camping in the forest but not many. Not directed at you Lindy, just quoted you because I hear this a lot.
    [/quot

I think it’s economics more than anything. Young people with kids (or without) that can’t afford motor homes or campers but still want to experience the outdoors. Campgrounds afford them that with only a tent and sleeping bag. Or you have the hard core who want to “rough it” and stake out a site in the middle of no-where.

It’s like boats…..you get one that floats and you are good to go or you add luxury components as you desire or can afford.

ThunderLund78

Try Silver Rapids Lodge in Ely. It’s on White Iron Lake but you have easy access to the Kawishihwi river into Garden and Farm Lakes. It’s a resort but they have campsites for really cheap, I think $15 per night last time I was up there (maybe 10 years ago). Camping still gives you access to all the resort amenities (they have a shower and restroom area for Campsites). They may be booked but I know I’ve gotten campsites there in short order before. VERY cool place!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wilderness for me. The more secluded the better. My girl friend likes ” activities” or some crap and state parks. So we go back and forth.
    I personally gate going way up north or somewhere to just be 30ft from other people.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You don’t have to go way up north. There are plenty of parks, trails, and lakes to enjoy in the metro area where you live. You might encounter more people, but dogs are welcome and you don’t have to drive hours to do it. The Three Rivers Park District maintained parks are very nice and I enjoy them regularly without paying a dime.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Fondulac campground by jay cook on the st Louis river might be an option.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Sorry to hijack your thread Zack, after I posted I realized I should have made a new post but it seems people better than I were able to answer both questions.

I may be camping in the future as the kids talk about it, but if we do it will be a 1 night thing to try it out first. I myself prefer my space and have seen how stacked people are in campgrounds, it doesn’t appeal to me.

Looks like there are some options to check into, good luck.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The Three Rivers Park District maintained parks are very nice and I enjoy them regularly without paying a dime.

x2 Lake Auburn is a cool campground with a nice beach.

Zack Busse

Thanks everyone. Might try a first come first serve campground, but man, that would be a bummer to head way up north just to sleep in my truck. I guess I wouldn’t have a problem with it, but I can imagine who might.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

If you go first come first serve, have a couple options and start making calls when you get on the road, a lot of places will put your name on a spot if you are on the way. Did you look at vrbo or similar?

lindyrig79

Well several factors I guess. The first couple are easy, access to power, water, restrooms I suppose

The other would be location. Other than straight up camping in the Forest or in certain places on the river, you can’t just camp anywhere you want

Places that I like, such as trout streams, good fishing lakes, or stuff on the north shore with hiking trails and maps, typically require staying at a campground

lindyrig79

I prefer being away from people too, very much so.

But other than going to the BWCA my tenting days are dwindling. After a full day of being outdoors I am starting to prefer a decent bed, being able to change clothes standing up, and even some temp control. Bought a hybrid camper earlier this Spring and love it. We were trout fishing early this year with temps dropping down to the mid 20s and stayed cozy warm with nobody around us (because it was too cold for most tenters). Gonna be using it again this fall for hunting.

lindyrig79

I do like camping on the Islands on Vermilion (and for free) but definitely requires more work and more time

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

and even some temp control

This was always the one thing that deterred me from doing a whole lotta camping. I can’t sleep in a hot room. I always wondered how people can sleep in a tent when its 90 degrees and humid out. Like when people camp on the 4th of July and its just swampy.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

This was always the one thing that deterred me from doing a whole lotta camping. I can’t sleep in a hot room. I always wondered how people can sleep in a tent when its 90 degrees and humid out. Like when people camp on the 4th of July and its just swampy.

Beer.

bigpike

Check out Price county campground. Solberg lake. Rated one of the top county parks in the state of Wisconsin. Tons of hiking trails from the park. Lakeside camping. Free firewood. Swimming beach. Fishing. Etc. A few resorts on the lake if you want some food or drink. First come first serve but since I live here I can get a sight b4 others. I can work something out with you if you’d like. P.m. if your interested and I’ll work something out with you.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

[/quot

I think it’s economics more than anything. Young people with kids (or without) that can’t afford motor homes or campers but still want to experience the outdoors. Campgrounds afford them that with only a tent and sleeping bag. Or you have the hard core who want to “rough it” and stake out a site in the middle of no-where.

It’s like boats…..you get one that floats and you are good to go or you add luxury components as you desire or can afford.

So the poor people stack up tents in the campgrounds while the rich people are out in the wilderness in their campers. Got it.

Deuces

Work. This year, no complaints

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

[/quot

So the poor people stack up tents in the campgrounds while the rich people are out in the wilderness in their campers. Got it.

Good. I made it as plain and simple as I could.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

My fam made a quick trip up to the North Shore last weekend to camp with my rents who were there for a week. Wow is it nuts up there. We’ve been going up there for years and have never seen it that busy. Every lodge, resort, and campground had no vacancy. Throw in the idiot drivers and it just didnt have same feeling as usual. I wonder if how crazy it is this year it would affect the remote sites in the Superior National Forest being filled up too? There are great sites on some excellent fishing lakes though.

lindyrig79

Believe it or not there are tons of out-of-state visitors in northern MN this year because people can’t get into Canada

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Beer.

And White Claws.

Zack Busse

I think I’m better off having a fire in my backyard and trailering my boat to a local lake.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.