Where to get Custom Boat Cover

• Ny
    N Metro

I am looking at getting a custom boat cover made for my 2003 18 ft Lund Explorer. I would like one so I can leave my trolling motor on when I put the cover on. I am still using the original cover and it is getting pretty worn. Where have you guys had the best luck? Looking at places around the twin cities or around Lake Mille Lacs.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Otsego. Right off of Hwy. 101. Canvas Craft. 5781 Queens Ave Ne.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Economy Canvas in east Bethel Hwy 65 and 22 just west. Best price in town. Last cover he did for me was $200 less then Canvas Craft.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Economy Canvas in east Bethel Hwy 65 and 22 just west. Best price in town. Last cover he did for me was $200 less then Canvas Craft.

My recommendation as well. Did a great job on my boat too.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0183.jpg

2. IMG_1173.jpg

Ny
    N Metro

Nice looking cover biggill!!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Lakes Area Custom Canvas in Chisago. Great work.

Shop around. Some of the best known places charge outrageous prices. Get several estimates.

Grouse

Ny
    N Metro

How the canvas craft & Lake area compare to economy canvas? My boat sits outside during the season and goes into inside storage in the winter. I’m looking for quality & something that can handle the the sun, wind, & rain!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Like Fords vs Chevy, Lund vs Ranger, everybody has their own opinion. Go check out the material the shops use and decide from there.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’ve had a canvas craft cover for 2 years. My boat is outside 365 days a year. I get it wrapped in the winter though. It’s a nice cover. Believe I paid around $800 for my 17.5 boat. It utilizes snaps so it doesn’t look like the cover biggill has in the pictures above. The snaps are attached to the boat on the underside of the outside lip of the gunnel. It’s a very snug fit, which is both beneficial and sometimes a pain. It takes a little precision to get it on. Never had a drop of water get into the boat with the cover on. I have had a few of the snaps break off but canvas craft will repair that free I am told. Overall happy with it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My boat sits outside during the season and goes into inside storage in the winter. I’m looking for quality & something that can handle the the sun, wind, & rain!

It is important to be clear when you get estimates on what your storage conditions are so that you are given an estimate on the cover you need.

Then make sure the other estimates are as close to apples-to-apples as possible. Material type, weight, construction details,etc. Otherwise this makes comparison impossible.

Be aware that lead times in the summer can be long for some work. Just the way it is here in the tundra.

Grouse

bigcrappie
    Blaine

How the canvas craft & Lake area compare to economy canvas? My boat sits outside during the season and goes into inside storage in the winter. I’m looking for quality & something that can handle the the sun, wind, & rain!

Who ever you go with TOP GUN material is the best and what you want to go with…

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Im really happy with the factory cover that Lund is using now. The cover is made by Dowco. The fabric is absolutely awesome material. Im not sure where they are located, but worth checking into.

mojogunter

Banner canvas in Ham Lake is another choice as well. Rapid marine has their custom covers made there if a customer wants one made. They do very good work and have fixed my commercial party tents after storm damage.

kidfish

A friend of ours does custom covers in his garage in Vadnais Heights. Ron does incredible work and can do any style or options you would like.
    I had a custom one done on my 1775 Pro V tiller similar to the ratchet strap types Ranger uses. The poles have vents to let the inside breathe to prevent mildew.
    Here is Ron’s website.
    http://superfitcustomboatcovers.com/

Iowaboy1

for you guys that had one done,what did it cost per foot??
    the reason I ask mine is in need of replacing as well.
    I was quoted eighty dollars a foot,is that anywhere near average??

that adds up to almost fourteen hundred bucks for me,ouch !!

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Got mine out of your area in 2001, I got the snap kind and love it. Great for covering the boat while docked on vacation. It’s saved the boat in several storms.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Top Gun is good all around material but for long term sun/UV, I’d suggest Sunbrella.

If you have downriggers on your boat, be sure to ask for flaps at the mounts so that you can have downriggers on while the top is on. I hated having them lay on the floor of the boat so I had the flaps added to my last cover and like it a lot better.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Shel, my cover goes from windshield to transom on my 21′ boat. It cost $800.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I had to buy a cover last year (dam mice). A factory Skeeter cover for my MX1825 was $875.

Ny
    N Metro

Just talked to the guy from Economy Canvas, said he uses Aqualon fabric? I am not sure if that is great or not.

kidfish

The cover for my 1775 pro v tiller was around $750.
    It all depends on width and how many extra spots they need to see into each boat.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Just talked to the guy from Economy Canvas, said he uses Aqualon fabric? I am not sure if that is great or not.

These materials typically have a guaranteed life expectancy. Ask the guy what it is for this material. Also, since you mentioned you have covered Winter storage, find out what the strength of that material is. It sounds like waterproofing by the name. For Summer use, you want a material with a high UV characteristic.

Ny
    N Metro

Got my cover done about 2 weeks ago from Economy canvas, I am very happy with it!

Attachments:
    1. boat-cover.jpg

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Im really happy with the factory cover that Lund is using now. The cover is made by Dowco. The fabric is absolutely awesome material. Im not sure where they are located, but worth checking into.

Dowco makes covers for many, many boat companies (Lund & Alumacraft for sure) as a factory cover. You can order one from them by year, make, and model. Go to their website. Also mention Larry Smith Outdoors and you get a 10% discount. Not sure of quality but many factory covers leads me to believe they must be a pretty good product.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Got my cover done about 2 weeks ago from Economy canvas, I am very happy with it!

Awesome. Glad you like it.

FYI… I swapped out the ties he gave me with these. Easier to tie up in my opinion.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat-Cover-Replacement-Straps/701716.uts?productVariantId=1215765&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02929115&rid=20&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_HOBRBaEiwAvLBbosSZWzg_ZFFcJbCenj9NuM0zeOJW7GJ2UF6smP2OX5ZJqKkUyhAN6BoCL2UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ny wrote:</div>

Awesome. Glad you like it.

FYI… I swapped out the ties he gave me with these. Easier to tie up in my opinion.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat-Cover-Replacement-Straps/701716.uts?productVariantId=1215765&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=02929115&rid=20&gclid=CjwKCAjw3_HOBRBaEiwAvLBbosSZWzg_ZFFcJbCenj9NuM0zeOJW7GJ2UF6smP2OX5ZJqKkUyhAN6BoCL2UQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just an FYI. I did not purchase these straps from Cabelas. I believe I got them on amazon. The ones in the link above appear to be crap. Based on the reviews I wouldn’t buy them myself.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.