Where to fish in 2021

• Sylvanboat

Latest news seems to be the US-Canadian border will remain closed for the foreseeable future. I am from NE Illinois and my son and I have traveled for many years to NW Ontario for our annual fishing trip. 2020 trip was cancelled and we are now facing possible cancellation of our 2021 trip (but who knows). I am looking for suggestions for a US fishing trip, perhaps in Minnesota, South Dakota or ??? Our Ontario trip is a 710 mile drive and so we are certainly willing to drive for good fishing.

In Ontario we target smallmouth bass. We like catching walleyes for shore lunch and the occasional large northern. In Ontario we use a resort that offers American Plan and we always hire a guide. That approach works for us and I would like to continue with that.

Any suggestions on US fishing spots to consider? Thanks for your help.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

LOW
    Red
    Kab
    Leech

All would offer what you have been doing in some ways. Well I have never heard of smallies in red but who knows.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d throw in Vermillion. To me, the area has a very “up north” or “Canadian” feel.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I would throw Rainy Lake in the mix

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Rainy Lake, stay at the Thunderbird or on a Houseboat and get a RainyDaze Guide
    Leech Lake, lots of great places to stay, get Phil Bauerly to guide.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Rainy or vermillion, even crane would be my go to. Crane is awesome to go do a mechanical portage and get your boat on a belt to bring you to off the grid lakes.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Venice,LA

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Were in the same situation as you. We are currently looking at a trip to Fort Peck. Its actually closer to us here than our normal Canadian location. Fort peck will be more of a lake Trout trip with a mix of Walleye, Pike, and SM bass mixed in. Sounds like the Lake trout and Walleye are on par with what were use to in Canada and the SM is much better. Just not as good of BIG pike fishing. We are currently looking at booking a Guide for 1 day. We are likely to use the Same guy that James fished with on his show last June.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.