Where are the cabbage weeds in Minnetonka?

• tim hurley

In the water! Ha beat you to it….
    I seem to do well fishing in and around this stuff-Cabbage is not everywhere on that thing-Would not have to ask about Millfoil. Gonna fish ‘Tonka next week-love it and hate it (mostly I hate the traffic)
    Thanks

tim hurley

Cabbage weeds have little tops that stick out of the water about an inch or 2-grow in hard bottom areas-the leaf part is wide and curly kind of like an egg noodle (but green) Leaf is much wider than milfoil and gives fish some nice shade and places to ambush their prey. With all the traffic on ‘Tonka its hard to see those tops sticking up. Anyone who knows the lake if you could tell me a bay to check or island that would be great. Lake is HUGE-and complex.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

One thing that always stuck with me was someone telling me when I was younger, for the big pike, look for the cabbage. Figured out that it wasn’t just pike and that cabbage is best during the summer, mostly because it grows in deeper water, especially this time of year when other weeds are dying.

tim hurley

Nice pic-see room for predators to move around and for your lure to move around. (now what bay or island!)Thanks

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can’t help you there.

Dan Baker

If you haven’t been on tonka for awhile you might be surprised at how deep the weedline are this year. We are constantly finding weeds growing out past 20ft. The water is crystal clear all over the lake.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thank you Zebra mussels.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.