When to use snap swivels…

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Ive always been a direct tie guy, especially when it comes to walleye fishing but i was just watching the most recent episode of IDO fishing and James had a snap swivel on, and of course they were catches loads of fish. When do you guys use a snap swivel? I always figured that it would be a deterrent to catching fish and didn’t want to take the risk but it would save a ton of time cause i switch out baits sometimes 20x a day if i cant get them to bite. I suppose like anything its a case by case basis but id be curious to find out how many of you guys use a snap swivel

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

All of my walleye sticks have a #1 snap tied on them.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I use a dual snap or a fast snap when fishing raps or spoons. The swivel is tied a few feet above.

I almost always use a snap on my jigging stick for walleye, but rarely use a swivel. The only time i tie direct is when a specific lure tangles too frequently AND it is producing well.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I always use a stay lock snap, never a snap-swivel.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I use small snaps but never snap swivels.

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

I have been using Fas-Snaps. They are very small so they don’t stand out in the presentation. They are a little bit too small for my thick digits to manage well, especially in low light, but they have stayed hooked and I have caught my largest fish through the ice with them without incident.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kipper-PBA-24-Fas-Snap/dp/B00354I348

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I learned from James……. over 10 years ago already, the convenience and workability of using a small snap. I’ve been doing it ever since. -)

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

For ice fishing:
    Fas snaps on everything

Only exception is when I need a certain orientation out of a small panfish jig.

I don’t run any swivels because I’m running all black Betty inline reels. First year going all inline and I’m enjoying the lack of line twist for sure.

Sam Slaby
    Sioux Falls

I purchased a few packs of the Fas-snaps in small and mediums. I did put them on all my rods because I am new to most of the lakes in SE SD and end up trying many different jigs/spoons in all colors. Once my fingers get a little cold, it’s dang near impossible to tie with such a thin line (2 lb Nanofil and 5 lb Suffix 832). I haven’t been out to see if the fish dislike this strategy or not. I tied the smalls with a very small Tungsten Tubby Jig. Has anyone noticed if this interferes with the bite. I’m sure there are a million different situations such as a light finicky bite might be better direct to line while a very aggressive bit, a snap would be just fine. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Tonka
    Minnesota

I use a cross lock snap W/O the swivel on my Walleye rod using spoons, jigging raps, rippin raps, darters, etc. It’s so fast and easy to switch out and I’ve never seemed to notice that being a deterrent with Walleye. I also use the same snap for trolling and casting raps in the open water and it works great. It makes switching lures a dream no matter what the application. On the flip side I truly believe that with panfish, going direct even if you’re using a spoon is the way to go. My thoughts on this, good luck!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m sure there are a million different situations such as a light finicky bite might be better direct to line while a very aggressive bit, a snap would be just fine. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Take a horizontal presentation:
    When you use a snap, your jig rocks when you ‘jig’ your rod.
    When you tie the same bait directly to the eye of the jig, your lure Bounces up and down, rather than lifting/rocking on the snap.

Bout the only difference.

Yesteday i put a big nymph plastic on a tungsten jig. With a snap, it kind of layed at a 45 degree angle. I wanted to fish it horizontal and wanted it to bounce rather than rock; so i tied directly to the eyelet.
    After unhooking every fish, i have to reposition the knot so that the bait lays how i want it to…vs a snap, where it will lay where gravity takes it.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

I use a cross lock snap W/O the swivel on my Walleye rod using spoons, jigging raps, rippin raps, darters, etc. It’s so fast and easy to switch out and I’ve never seemed to notice that being a deterrent with Walleye. I also use the same snap for trolling and casting raps in the open water and it works great. It makes switching lures a dream no matter what the application. On the flip side I truly believe that with panfish, going direct even if you’re using a spoon is the way to go. My thoughts on this, good luck!

..X2 on what Tonka says. Plus Not all snaps are created Equal. It depends on who makes them. I have had #1 and #2 snaps that were way to big and heavy. Also have found #1 snaps that were extra small a few times. But they are not norm. The last time I found snaps that small was with Dean Marshall. Back when Dean was still at Everts. So when I find the right size I buy a bunch. I had Dean order me a 1000 snaps. I use these mostly on jigs in the soft water. I have a few buds that are purists that will Never put a snap on when fishing with jigs. They will only tie direct. That is just fine but I catch just as many fish as they do. And I don’t have retie every time I change out a jig.! …rrr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.