Wheel polishing and PDR.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The aluminum wheels on Mrs. Grouse’s Lincoln are heavily corroded. I’ve never seen anything like this on aluminum wheels, no idea what happened and I’ve never seen passenger vehicle wheels this bad. They started corroding almost from new and now they are really bad.

I’d like to get them polished and if possible coated to prevent future corrosion. Does anyone know anybody who does this? I’d prefer East metro or North metro, but polishing beggars can’t be polishing choosers.

I’d also like to get the 2 door dings in the passenger side popped out by somebody who’s good at paintless dent repair. Anyone know anybody who does it?

Thanks.

munchy
    NULL

It might be cheaper to just buy new wheels.

wkw

Ive used Mothers Cream on aluminum wheels before. Takes a little elbow grease. but works good

FinickyFish

Have you fully ruled out replacing based on how far gone they are? I’m dealing with the same thing and could share thoughts, but also don’t want to tell a man what to do if you’ve decided on ‘refurbishing’.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I really didn’t care what the alum rims looked like. The problem I had was that corrosion got into the seal and constantly leaked air. Especially in the winter. Two wheel shops did the tire off, clean it up and re-install. Still leaked. Last place got it right after I told them how bad it was. Just something to think about.

-J.

Jason

I would either recycle the wheels or powdercoat them to the color of your choosing.

FinickyFish

What Jon said is my exact experience.

MX1825

I really didn’t care what the alum rims looked like. The problem I had was that corrosion got into the seal and constantly leaked air. Especially in the winter. Two wheel shops did the tire off, clean it up and re-install. Still leaked. Last place got it right after I told them how bad it was. Just something to think about.

The secret to corroded rim sealing flanges is wire brushing the rim AND the tire bead till it is totally smooth. Then a liquid rubber sealer applied liberally to both, inflate, and clean excess sealer off the tire. Did hundreds and was usually good for at least 2 years. Also helps to keep air pressure at required levels at all times.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

liquid rubber sealer applied liberally to both

Yep, this is what the last place did. And you could see it right away. Looked like a mess. Like I told the guys, I don’t care what it looks like, I don’t want no more leaks! I think the other places took a half assed shot at it and called it good…..

Carlson Auto 94 and Century. Great shop there. Have been happy with all of the jobs they have done for me.

-J.

Reef W

The secret to corroded rim sealing flanges is wire brushing the rim AND the tire bead till it is totally smooth. Then a liquid rubber sealer applied liberally to both, inflate, and clean excess sealer off the tire. Did hundreds and was usually good for at least 2 years. Also helps to keep air pressure at required levels at all times.

Very interesting… 3 of my tires leak horribly, like 5psi a week, and Discount Tire just says new rims is only solution.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Very interesting… 3 of my tires leak horribly, like 5psi a week, and Discount Tire just says new rims is only solution.

We have seen the rims be so bad it could be true but most likely they could be fixed with some work and sealer.

Grouse I do use a couple wheel refinishing places and can get you there info if you like. As others have mentioned you could probably get aftermarket wheels for the same cost though and would not have to be without the vehicle for a week or whatever it takes.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I really didn’t care what the alum rims looked like. The problem I had was that corrosion got into the seal and constantly leaked air. Especially in the winter

Already had this problem and the solution was EXACTLY what MX outlined above. I took them into Maplewood Auto at Century and Minnehaha and they said the rims needed not just the usual QuickieTire job, but the full meal deal including wire wheel, sanding, and then whatever the sealant goop is. Fixed them all in one go, and it wasn’t that expensive.

It might be cheaper to just buy new wheels.

Thought about that and we’ll see what the quotes come in at.

OEM rims are roughly $400 each and that’s not mounted or balanced. Of course aftermarkets can be had cheaper, but man there’s a limit to how cheap I’m comfortable with. Some of this crap is WAY cheaper than I can feel safe with, I mean really are you seriously going to put Timu $59.99 18 inch rims on something and feel good about it going down the freeway at 75?

I’ll see what the polishing costs, appreciate all the replies guys.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Place in WI that refurbishes wheels and use your old ones as a core if they have the same one in stock.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I would assume discount tire doesn’t want to play in the refurb game because they don’t want to warranty the work. And their business is selling new wheels and tires. I’ve seen them sell a guy 3 rims and install them, because he was still saving for the full set. that was a wild conversation to hear! I’ve never had any real bad experiences with them but that one made me question this particular location a bit…

MX1825

Grouse check with Keystone Auto. They furnish refurbished wheels to body shops and independent shops.
    I got a set for a 2500 Silverado once with lifetime warranty.
    Also does any business deal in factory take offs? Here in SW WI a business handles new factory take offs. Complete wheel and tire sets.
    I bought a set of 18″ Silverado wheels 2 years ago with new GY tires on them for $1200.
    Company name is RPM AUTO.

Deuces

FB MP got me brand new wheels w tires from a new truck take off, 1200. Guy said he knows a guy from some dealers and pedals em on the side. I wanted new wheels anyways and tires were just a bonus. Worth keeping an eye out

MX1825

FB MP got me brand new wheels w tires from a new truck take off, 1200. Guy said he knows a guy from some dealers and pedals em on the side. I wanted new wheels anyways and tires were just a bonus. Worth keeping an eye out

Sounds exactly like my deal.
    I have summer and winter sets.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well the first two places I called came in with very similar prices. $1,000 to $1,200 Plus I have to take the tires off the rims, put them back on, and rebalance them on my own.

I know it’s the labor shortage etc etc etc but that just seems really high to me.

I’m going to call a couple more places that are suggested above and maybe I’ll get a different answer. I was looking at aftermarket rims and you can get really nice rims for less than $200 each.

MX1825

Many after market rims do not handle the salt belt winters very well. I’ve seen some in bad shape after 1 or 2 winters.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.