Whats your favorite lure for Walleye through the ice?

• DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Today’s Tackle Tip Tuesday is about my top 5 Ice Fishing Lure’s for Walleye! What is your “Go To” lure when you are out chasing Eye’s in the winter?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

My top five not in any order

Northland Buckshot
    Lindy Rattl’n Flyer Spoon
    Rapala Jigging Rap and Shad Rap
    Salmo Chubby Darter
    Northland Mimic Minnow

All of those above have caught me fish just. With the exception of the Buckshot spoon, the other four have caught fish with no baiting.

Honorable mentions goes to: As since I do use a lot of spoons and the following have all caught fish too.
    Daredelve Spoons
    Mepps Syclops Spoon
    Kastmaster Spoons
    Swedish Pimple Spoons
    Acme Sidewinder Spoons

The following are what I plan on using more this year:
    Eurotackle Z-Viber
    Eurotackle Z-Darter
    Northland Impulse Live Paddle Minnow
    Berkley Snap Jig
    Jackall Deracoup Tail Spinner

Even if I don’t catch fish, I still have fun just playing with my lures in the water.

SW Eyes

Always depends on the body of water, weather conditions, etc.

I try the latest and greatest every year but always come back to the same things:

1). Rattlin Flyer
    2). Rippin Rap (smallest 2 sizes)
    3). Forage Minnow
    4). Tungsten Fat Boy
    5). Pink Gamakatsu Octopus

4 and 5 are tipped with a fathead or shiner under a venom slip set as close to zero buoyancy as humanly possible. I’m almost always running some combination of 1-3 on my first rod and 4-5 on a “dead stick” of sorts. I like to think I’ve been pretty successful.

It’ll change on some different lakes. LOW for example, you can’t get me to take off a gold glo-shot with a red glo-stick. That’s been phenomenal for me up there. I’ll do some different things out in South Dakota as well.

This got me excited. I’m working on a specific big ‘ol swamp donkey over the next week or two. Once that’s over I’ll really be jonsing for ice.

SW Eyes

Another I forgot that I crushed on LOW with last year that I recommend: sebile vibrato.

Funny looking, but can be a hammer if used properly (many people don’t use them properly and think they suck, like rippin raps).

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Plain hook.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Another I forgot that I crushed on LOW with last year that I recommend: sebile vibrato.

Funny looking, but can be a hammer if used properly (many people don’t use them properly and think they suck, like rippin raps).

What size and color vibrato?

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

All of these sound good! I also almost always run a Deadstick with a minnow so that was left out but the rest of the new ones I haven’t tried will be fun to try this winter! I have used a lot mentioned and most of these put fish on the ice!

NOW WE JUST NEED ICE! woot

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Plain hook.

I’ve spent most my ice fishing walleye pursuits on Mille Lacs…a great destination to test “favorite lures” because there are typically many willing biters, but not so easy that whatever you drop down there guarantee’s a walleye.

After literally spending days out there jigging most everything already mentioned, 90% of the walleye’s caught are on a fathead/shiner/sucker on a plain hook down on a rattle reel.

Maybe it’s just that lake? whistling

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Plain hook.

I’ve spent most my <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing walleye pursuits on Mille Lacs…a great destination to test “favorite lures” because there are typically many willing biters, but not so easy that whatever you drop down there guarantee’s a walleye.

After literally spending days out there jigging most everything already mentioned, 90% of the walleye’s caught are on a fathead/shiner/sucker on a plain hook down on a rattle reel.

ALWAYS BRING BAIT! rotflol

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Buckshot and Rattlin Flyer, everything else is to see if they work too rotflol And agree the plain ol’ red hook is tough to beat.

papaperch

1. Rippin Rap
    2. Blade baits ( Heddon Sonar and the many imitations.)
    3. Sebile Vibrato
    4. Sebile Flatt Shad smallest one
    5. Drop Shot rig with large live minnows

My top five not in any order.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Plain hook.

I’ve spent most my <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing walleye pursuits on Mille Lacs…a great destination to test “favorite lures” because there are typically many willing biters, but not so easy that whatever you drop down there guarantee’s a walleye.

I completely agree Andy. I catch way more walleye on the ice with a deadstick and a sucker/shiner than I do jigging. Hands down.

Ice Cap

I plan on fishing a lot more with a rattle reel and just a red hook and minnow up at Red this year rather than just at night. I mean really why have a dead stick set up next to your jigging rod if you have rattle reels you are going to bring out later anyhow?

I know a couple guys who go up to Red and never bring a jigging rod. Get in the house drop the rattle reels and start the beer parade and they catch a lot of fish not to mention saving all that money by not buying TUCR equipment.
    Not knocking TUCR I have one and one on the way. I think I need that exercise of bouncing a jig or spoon and staring at my sonar!

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Firetiger jiggin raps and firetiger jiggin minnows. I would spray paint my minnows firetiger if I could. I’ve tried it, it doesn’t work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.