What's wrong with a ugly stik

• JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

What’s wrong with an Ugly Stick you ask? Nothing! Unless you get beat with one…just ask BK, he is living proof! Lol

lundojam

Ugly is great for some things, not for others. Trolling and bobber fishing come to mind. It’s about value. You won’t catch more fish slip-bobbering with a Loomis, but you will jigging. Some guys bobber fish with a stella and a Loomis; that’s hilarious to me.
    That being said, if you have a high-end rod your odds go up, especially if you know how to fish already )

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Oh no! Knocking on the slip bobber fishing guy!

***slowly covers up the Stella***

LOL.

Aaron

I picked my St. Croix Legend off the bottom of the lake. Free was an excellent price for me.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

A Yugo, Ford Fiesta and a Chevy Vega will all transport you to work or school also. It’s what you want to use that makes the difference.

I disagree. A Yugo won’t transport you anywhere.

Buy what you can afford and figure out how to make it work. When you start making some money and can put some away, upgrade. Like said above, rummage sales, pawn shops, and auctions can provide some good prices.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I picked my St. Croix Legend off the bottom of the lake. Free was an excellent price for me.

Did it pull like a fish?

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Which must be true but would u rather have a 175$ rod or extra cash for other things.

It’s true, high end rods are worth it. I didn’t really buy in until 5-6 years ago, and then 4 years ago I went to the HIGH end rods. I realize finances are tight, I understand very well…I did the whole College deal. Just enough money for beer, gas and shotgun shells. Even to get into the $100 range with a St. Croix Triumph or a Shimano Compre would be worth the investment without a doubt.

Well said. Compre’s are great!

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

My first compre came from the bargin cave. A 9′ extra heavy musky rod. Telescoping. Whomever bought it over telescoped it and the eyelets are a few degrees from being inline with the reel seat. Never used. Plastic Wrap still intact.
    A deal like that isn’t that common, but they are out there. Cabelas wanted $75. I showed them the “defect” and knocked them down to $46

A $140 rod for $46.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Keep an eye on the classifieds on here and other fishing websites. I’ve got a lineup of St. Croix’s bought second hand for way less than retail, and on a fishing rod it’s pretty easy to see if it’s in good/newish condition or not.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.