whats gonna be the “must have” lure this year?

• Coletrain27

whats gonna be the must have lure that everybody is gonna say you need this year? last year it seemed like the dinner bell and snyders flutter shakers were the ones everybody at red and LOTW was talking about.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Minnow.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

first jig that sticks to my finger and waxie. funny how these new lures catch more fisherman than fish roll

Fowldreams55398

Snyders Lures keeps putting great lures out there. The new 360 Death Roll looks to be another must have.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m going to cheat a little because it came out last year but it barely hit the shelves before it was gone everywhere. The Clam Silkie Trailer. I am biased towards Clam products but I’m telling you, this little trailer is insanely effective and you can change the way you rig it 3 or four different ways.

Otherwise I always look forward to trying the new plastics P3 plastics come up with.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

It’s funny how we ice fisherman seem to be always chasing down the hot lure. I remember years ago a buddy of mine was driving all around hitting different Gander and Fleet Farms trying to find the one hot color of Macho Minnow, he must have spent well over a C note just trying.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

#1 Bare Hook and Crappie Minnow (nothing better for jumbo river perch)

#2 Glow or Red Bare Hook and Fathead/Shiner (nothing better for URL/LOTW eyes while everyone else is throwing the tacklebox at fish)

Lures have caught far more fishermen than they have fish. I have a ton of different lures and they all have their place, but in the age of everyone going flashier, louder, etc….the old staples really shine. A couple years ago we were up on LOTW and I landed 52 fish the first day. The next best in our 4 person shack was 13. They were throwing every rattling spoon, rap, etc. they could throw down the hole. I quietly smiled and fished 2 deadsticks about 10″ off the bottom with just a fathead. The only lull I had during the day was when I had to visit a cooler for snacks or more beer.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I agree with Bucky….deadstick FTW if you are fishing mainly walleye.

I have bought a bunch of the hot new items….I find I use VMC tungsten flies for pannies or the old school single red dot jigs and a waxie. For walleyes, it’s a handful of tumbler type spoons in various colors. All the other stuff in my tackle box never gets touched.

Coletrain27

I’m going to cheat a little because it came out last year but it barely hit the shelves before it was gone everywhere. The Clam Silkie Trailer. I am biased towards Clam products but I’m telling you, this little trailer is insanely effective and you can change the way you rig it 3 or four different ways.

Otherwise I always look forward to trying the new plastics P3 plastics come up with.

Those silky trailers look interesting. Never heard of them until now. Cool idea since you could put them on anything

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Those silky trailers look interesting. Never heard of them until now. Cool idea since you could put them on anything

They catch fish too. They have action that is tough to beat and it gets more natural the more it soaks up the water.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The demon. In and out every year is the jest jig around. Every species loves them and come in many sizes and colors. I have my 2 favorite colors and run with them. It’s amazing how many jigs and spoons I own that never get touched.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

The demon. In and out every year is the jest jig around. Every species loves them and come in many sizes and colors. I have my 2 favorite colors and run with them. It’s amazing how many jigs and spoons I own that never get touched.

Question do you use them on the deadsticks or are you jigging with it? I have only used them on the deadstick.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Tungsten bullfly has a new glow purple color, probably try those

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Question do you use them on the deadsticks or are you jigging with it? I have only used them on the deadstick.

Both jig them and dead stick them. About 8 years ago I found a jig box with over a 100 of them in there. I have since found out why that guy had so many

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Cool I will be trying that this year. Whole minnow or just heads?

CaptainMusky

Though its not new, I got a few of them last year and they were very hard to find the salmo rail shad is a nice walleye (or obviously large pike lure because they got 2 of mine on one trip last year) jigging rap. I always fish with 1 set line which is generally a plain hook or jig of some sort and then have a jigging line. Those that fish with 2 set lines must be very bored LOL.
    I have to be jigging something all the time.
    One strange phenomena that I have noticed particularly on LOW is that I will reel up by jigging line several feet off the bottom and just put it in the rod holder. It always always leads to a fish magically appearing. Lots of times they are larger walleyes too.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

…something with a spinning blade attachment.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

1/8 oz jigging rap (color doesn’t matter) with a minnow head. Plain red hook is close 2nd.

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

Vertiglo Demon size 4 is all I drop down for a dead stick with a fathead. Crappies & eyes. Good weight to them. The size 2 is just too big unless you’re using shiners.

LabDaddy1

Darter-style lures(with JB gem n eye’s and flutter spoons close behind) or the staple that is a plain hook and split shot

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

If I go through 150 of these in a season you know the walleye fishing is good..

Berkley Firetail MF Hot Firetiger Flicker Shad Shallow Crankbait
    SKU: 101460805
    Size: 5 cm

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If I go through 150 of these in a season you know the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye fishing is good..

How does one use a crank bait through the ice ? whistling

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

That’s what I was wondering?

Coletrain27

Ha,I was wondering the same thing

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Evan_peterson12 wrote:</div>
    If I go through 150 of these in a season you know the <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye fishing is good..

How does one use a crank bait through the ice ? whistling

You’re telling me you don’t troll with your snowmobile?

Nodak

Minnows but I can fish four rods so I usually have a ripping rap to jig occasionally. It’s the only artificial I have had results on. I aggressively jig that lure every so often to bring in any nearby fish. If fish come in, then they usually hit a minnow rod. Occasionally a pike will viciously attack that ripping rap though.

I kinda use that lure as a decoy.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.