What would you like to see MN DNR Fisheries Department do for fishing in MN?

• buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Allow 2 lines..Also they should quit allowing lake associations to spray lakes with chemicals/herbicides/pesticides.No more homemade sand beaches and destruction of shoreline habitat and vegetation.And quit with all the road salt and other chemicals on the roadways that end up in the lakes and rivers.They want people to care about invasive species they say are ruining our lakes and rivers but then turn around and allow chemicals and road salt to be deposited in them.

We are now talking far beyond anything the MNDNR will ever have the ability to control, but I’m in agreement on the road salt. If we have a night below freezing and a few flakes, trucks are dumping it. There are legitimate piles of salt near the middle of roads on most highways. If MN decided they were done applying anything other than sand to roads throughout the entire state, I’d be the first to stick up for it.

matt

Yeah I realize its a far reach on them doing anything about roadsalt even tho they know its an issue.I live across the street from a lake the road butts rite up to it.An inch or two of snow and along comes the plow truck,plows the snow and dumps a bunch of salt.Hour or two later here comes the plow truck plowing another inch or two of snow along with the roadsalt he just dumped rite on to the ice.May as well back the salt truck over the ditch and dump it rite on the lake.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Interesting to me the same subject can produce 100 responses year after year. Mention two lines and you are guaranteed to get there. grin

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Curious…why does everyone want two lines?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Curious…why does everyone want two lines?

I’m fine with one line since most of my fishing requires two hands anyways. Like others have already mentioned, I think we should enforce existing laws before we start making new ones. More CO’s on the ground is my preference.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

One to cast, one to cork.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

2 for trolling.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Many reasons on why and how to fish 2 lines. Don’t let the one guy confuse you to much toast

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Hire CO’s and pay them commission on tracking down the garbage pigs out there.

AnotherFisherman

2 lines for trolling.

If I was riggin or jiggin, I’d probably still only use one line. But trolling is the answer for me 100%.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Reduce limits but add a second line? I guess that makes sense…:???: whistling

dirtywater

I agree with many people that more enforcement of laws would be nice. As for adding the number of CO’s, I believe they have had plenty of unfilled openings for a number of years (lots of baby boomers retiring) so it’s not a matter of not enough jobs, it’s not enough applicants.

Right now their website says not hiring. It does say they typically start hiring early in the year, so maybe they just haven’t started the 2021 hiring cycle yet.

Your post got me to thinking, though. If what you said is accurate, I wonder if in the future some of the tasks of a current CO might be performed by folks who are not peace officers. That would increase the applicant pool considerably. Lots of folks are interested in working in natural resources that don’t wanna be cops. I understand that, strictly speaking, we probably want the serious “enforcement” work done by LEOs. But perhaps our CO’s could be freed up to spend more time on the water and in the woods conducting enforcement if their job descriptions were limited.

Conservation officer work involves:

Law enforcement: COs enforce all authorized statutes and regulations; enforce all authorized recreational, environmental and emerging issues statutes and regulations; identify needs, develop methods and implement plans to detect violations; investigate complaints; process criminal violations and arrest violators; seize and preserve evidence; and conduct audits of natural-resource licensed commercial operations.

Safety and adult training: COs support hunter and recreational vehicle safety training courses, recruiting and maintaining a volunteer instructor pool, providing required training aids and assuring classes are scheduled.

Public relations: COs communicate DNR goals to the public by personal contact or actively seeking media and speaking opportunities, and provide assistance with injured or nuisance animals.

Cooperative relationships: COs maintain working relationships with other DNR units and all law enforcement and other related agencies.

Administration and reporting: COs work out of their homes and prepare and submit reports on their work.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.