What to buy for the boat?

• Walleye Hungry

Kind of a vague title i know, but not sure how else to word it. I came into about an extra $400 bucks after selling a few items in the garage and really want to reinvest it back into the boat. 17′ Lund ProV with terrova, dual bank charger, all new batteries, helix 5 and 7 g2 with DI (i will get to this later), net, all tackle and rods, new bilge and livewell pumps, and extra fuses and safety equipment, anchors and line.

Now, i said i would touch on it. The one thing i am tunnel visioned on is new graphs with side imaging and the networking feature as i want my terrova and graph up front to talk to the one at my tiller. Much more than $400 i know.

My question to you guys is what would you add to you rig that i may be overlooking. Anyone have something that they cant fish without that i could add rather than going with my gut and sell my helix 7 and 5 to upgrade to an SI unit (which would urine my wife off spending more money on “our” boat).

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Buy the wife something with the money. Trust me 400 now will go along ways later.

Paul Codner

Well you can’t go wrong with upgraded electronics or larger units. I don’t need much for my boat either but if I had some extra cash laying around I would upgrade my console graph to a 9 or 12″ Lowrance unit and move my HDS 7 touch to the bow and sell off the 7 non touch. Unfortunately I don’t have any extra cash yet….

toddrun

Another nicety, is a wash down pump, depending on what flooring you have.

I just purchased a new (used) boat for me, and finding that all the extra stuff $$$ adds up.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Is your terrova a link model? Is your helix 7 networkable? When in doubt, buy crankbaits. Or put it a way for a rainy day.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing
    Walleye Hungry

A wash down pump is a good idea but i have carpet so going to avoid that one haha.

My current graphs are not net-workable which is frustrating to me. Terrova is not the link model…at the time my thought was that the extra 800 for link could have bought me a new graph.

Rainy day fund and wife gifts come out of a different account. I tend to keep my garage bank separate from wife’s bank.

Walleye Hungry
    bigcrappie
    Blaine

$400 would get you a weekend on a lake up north this summer, enjoy.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

How, what and where do you spend your time fishing for?

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Some self inflating life jackets if you don’t have them already.

Cody Meyers

I vote for a weekend up north with the family also. Sounds like $400 aint gonna get you much mileage in your current set up. And I don’t like to spend strangers money via the internet.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Tuck it away in an envelope somewhere in your cab for use in an emergency.

-J.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I like the weekend away or envelope for the next thing to break on the boat. Sounds like you have a pretty good setup so far.

Here’s one for under $400 if you use it at night. Install additional interior lighting, red leds to be specific. Doesn’t kill your night vision and bugs aren’t attracted either. Did it on one boat and loved it. Have most of the supplies for my current boat and a project I’ll complete with my newfound free time.

Walleye Hungry

i know its probably something i can look up, but could you post or DM the materials used? This is something i forgot about but would love to do as i fish at night frequently

I like the weekend away or envelope for the next thing to break on the boat. Sounds like you have a pretty good setup so far.

Here’s one for under $400 if you use it at night. Install additional interior lighting, red leds to be specific. Doesn’t kill your night vision and bugs aren’t attracted either. Did it on one boat and loved it. Have most of the supplies for my current boat and a project I’ll complete with my newfound free time.

curleytail

If your Helix 7 is networkable, you may think about selling the 5, putting the 7 at the bow, and getting a side imaging unit that’s as big as your budget allows at the tiller. Then get the network cable to tie them together.

I think scheels has a helix 7 G2N side imaging unit for a really good price if they still have them in stock. Going bigger is better, but side imaging is pretty neat technology if you don’t have it yet.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Just added to my boat. With lights, as low as $200.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_00391029.jpg

2. IMG_00381031.jpg

Walleye Hungry

lighting and now that i look at your pics dave, rod holders is a good idea

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

lighting and now that i look at your pics dave, rod holders is a good idea

Tower with plastic rod holders was $150. Lights were $50 and I upgraded rod holders for $100. My setup per photos was $300 but could be done for $200 if going with the stock rod holders.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Dave if you don’t mine me asking where did you find a tower for that price? I’ve been going to fabricate one but it’s a lot of work and will still cost me $$$.

Thanks

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Dave if you don’t mine me asking where did you find a tower for that price? I’ve been going to fabricate one but it’s a lot of work and will still cost me $$$.

Thanks

Let me stress that this isn’t a thick wall tower like you see for $800 – $1,000 but seems very serviceable. With a good tubing/pipe cutter, very easy to customize size.

Go to https://oceansouth.us/shop/rocket-launchers/ma-100/

Sylvanboat

The advice above about buying something for your wife is VERY sound. However I bought the EZEE steps for my boat a couple years ago and my risk of injury dropped dramatically which my wife really appreciated. Good luck.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Walleye Hungry, your question about interior lighting is very easy and under $40. LED light tape on eBay, double stick tape, switch and some wire. I installed mine as under gunwale lighting.

B-man

Do you fish remote water, bigger water or the Great Lakes?? Do you hunt, hike, or camp outside of cell service?

If so, look into getting a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). It could save your life and all of those along with you.

I finally bit the bullet this year and bought an ACR PLB-400

Registration is free and there are no monthly or annual fees. It’s hails a distress call through satellites anywhere in the world.

The one I bought was $330 with a ditch bag, strobe, signal mirror and whistle.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200328_104218.jpg

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Dave

Tower with plastic rod holders was $150. Lights were $50 and I upgraded rod holders for $100. My setup per photos was $300 but could be done for $200 if going with the stock rod holders.

I’m looking to add a couple of lights to my boat. Where did you get the lights on your tower? They look nice.
    Thanks

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Dave

I’m looking to add a couple of lights to my boat. Where did you get the lights on your tower? They look nice.
    Thanks

The lights and the clamp mounting brackets were both from Amazon.

Bob Erfish

How about one of those grills John Gillespie grills his Johnsonvilles on?

…or maybe just save it for the next time you break something or need engine repairs

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.