What size Otter Hub?

• Jonny Anderson
    Morris,MN

Hi all,
    I’m looking to purchase an Otter Hub. Trying to decide between The Lodge and The Resort. I have a 2 man flip over for fishing alone or with a buddy. I’m looking for a hub to accommodate 4 guys with gear or 2 to 3 couples. I’m on the prairie so wind is a consideration in sizing. Also do you need to tie down all sides every time when fishing.Ice Anchors? Or Cordless Impact and Lag Bolts?
    Any advice would be great. Thanks

Al Case

I’d go with the Clam 1660 Mag Thermal. The Otter Resort looks great and that’s what I’m going to buy. I don’t ever plan on fishing with more than 4 people and more often with 2, maybe 3. But, it’s a little smaller than the Clam and that’s going to make a difference for as many people as you want to fish with. The Clam will cost you less, the Resort is lighter, the Clam is taller and has netting on two sides of the roof, which I find extremely handy. They’re both made well.
    If you’re going to have two to 3 couples, I’d go with the Clam.
    Just my opinion.
    Al

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

If you plan on fishing with more than 4 people, I would recommend the Otter XTH Resort. The XTH Lodge will get tight with more than 4 adults and gear.

If you compare the Otter XTH Resort to the other brands, you will see the Otter is the best buy. It has the largest fishable area of the hubs in its class that have full-thermal shells.

It also has a lower profile that is slightly tipped-in which will allow it to handle the wind better than hubs with up-straight vertical walls. The anchor are razor-sharp with tapered shanks that will drive in very easy without the use of power-drills.

But the biggest difference is the Thermal-Tec frabic shell that eliminates condensation & light since there are no-weld spots and minimal sewn seams, reducing the transfer of air and any chance for frost to build-up. Basically a layering system with a full thermal inner layer locking in heat, in combination with an outer layer that has minimal seam/stitch lines. Together, the two help eliminate frost build-up/condensation. All the benefits of a thermal shack, without the tradeoffs air-leakage, frost build-up and light transfer.

And don’t sweat the netting. Otter has a 3-Pocket Cargo Net and a mesh Storage Hammock coming out somewhere around late December.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments:
    1. Resort-Hub-Comparison.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I picked up the Resort, It’s fliipin huge.
    I plan on welding up galvanized lags with a fender washer and using my impact driver.

ICE! I need ice!

turkeynate
    Iowa

I picked up the Resort, It’s fliipin huge.
    I plan on welding up galvanized lags with a fender washer and using my impact driver.

ICE! I need ice!

Or you can use the supplied ice anchors and get an attachment to use the same drill. Eskimo’s one is cheap and works well. Plus it’s all steel unlike certain other attachments from a competitor that seem to break cause they are plastic… Ha!

Attachments:
    1. 0001367_eskimo-ice-anchor-drill-adapter_700.jpeg

2. ice-anchor1.jpg

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I put up a video that might be helpful for an idea of size

Jonny Anderson
    Morris,MN

I put up a video that might be helpful for an idea of size

<div class=”oembed-wrap”><div class=”fluid-width-video-wrapper” style=”padding-top: 56.23529411764706%;”><iframe src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/awd_t4192xQ?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”” id=”fitvid974495″></iframe></div></div>

Nice video. Thanks for all the replies. After some extensive research I have decided to go with The Resort. The Otter Hub houses will blow the doors off any other competitors hub house! Plus they are priced right.
    Bring on the ICE!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.