What power of trolling motor for a Lund Pro Sport 1600?

• Kipp Hughes

I just bought a 2005 Lund Pro sport 1600 and want to get a bow mount trolling motor for it. I’m thinking that a 48″-52″ shaft should work but wanted some input regarding power before making my purchase. I will be fishing mainly small to medium lakes in Arizona but may take it north to fish Walleys in the future. This is my first post on this forum, thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Muskee50

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Pro Sport?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

You could probably get away with a 55 lbs but you would be at your limit or possibly under powered in the wind. Going to a 24v system at 70 lbs or more would be the best for being conservative.

mojogunter

I would agree with Dave. If you can, go with a 24 volt system so you will be at 70 lbs to 80 lbs of thrust depending on what motor you would go with. I had a 1775 pro V years ago that was a 24v and I think 48 lbs thrust, and it was under powered in too many situations.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve got at 2001 pro sport 1600 and also agree on going 24V.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Does the Super Sport sit lower in the water? I have 1700 Fisherman, and run the 24 volt… 80# and couldn’t imagine a shorter than 60″ shaft. I would always buy a longer vs shorter shaft if any doubt.

The 80# 24 volt system really is nice. More power, last longer – sucks having two big expensive batteries, but benefits are all there.

DonG

I think your 48″ is going to be too short. I have a 60 on my Rebel and it almost all the way down to put the motor a foot in the water.

djshannon
    Crosslake

Most of the 16′ Lund boats have a bow depth of about 36″.

I have a Minnkota “Pontoon” on my 16′ Pike. Because I got got a great deal off of Craigslist. Almost new trolling motor, 2 deep discharge interstate batteries, and Minnkota dual bank charger for …$200.

A “Pontoon” is really a 24v #63 “PowerDrive 2″ with a 48″ shaft.

I have since added an I-pilot link, it works just fine.

Having the head close to the deck makes it difficult to deploy and stow. A 60” shaft would be much easier to work with.

Hope this helps.

Kipp Hughes

Thanks guys for all the great input. I will definitely look at the 70# – 80# trolling motors that are 24 volt. There is a faint waterline mark on the hull of my boat and it looks to be aprox 28″ from the mounting surface where the motor would be.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve got a 60″ on mine (terrova 80lb) and there have still been times the prop has come out of the water fighting rougher water. Nice thing with the terrova/power drive type units you can adjust how much shaft is in the water so on nice days if I am up shallow I can just shallow the shaft up some. I debated if I really needed a shaft that long before buying it, glad I did now.

Kipp Hughes

On your Pro Sport where did you mount the second battery? Mine looks to have only enough room for a single battery in the foward compartment. I’m assuming that you mounted the second battery in the right or left compartments directly in front of the windshield. Did you put the second battery on the left side to balance the weight? Thanks.

Muskee50

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’ve got both in the compartment in front of the port/left console, it was set up that way when I bought it but no onboard charger. (looking at a schematic of the 05 looks like you have a center front compartment that the 01 doesn’t have) I mounted my on board charger in the compartment under the bow and ran the cables back to that compartment (had to pull the floor up if I recall correctly). I’m pretty descent sized fella so any imbalance from the two batteries I’m sure I more than counter it.

I’d go snap some pictures to illustrate but the boat winters in a friend’s shed so it’s not handy to get at.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

In that compartment one battery tray is mounted against the back end of the compartment with the long direction running right to left, then the second is on the inside wall running long direction front to back. If they kept the same size hatches in the 05 version it’s ‘fun’ to get them loaded down in there as the whole is pretty much the same size as a size 31 battery, but it works.

Kipp Hughes

Thanks for all the great advise. I ended up getting a Minn Kota Power drive unit with co-pilot. I got the 70# with a 60″ shift. Next project will be installing the unit. I think I’ll pick up a quick detach mounting plate for it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.