What kind of droppings are these ?

• sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Tree frog or Toad
    Final Answer

B-man

Is there a light above it that’s on at night?

At our old house we had a tree frog named Fred that lived next to our exterior light and crapped all over exactly like that.

Wildlifeguy

INSIDE the garage? Is it finished (ie has a ceiling?) Looks like bat droppings to me, and I’ve seen A LOT. Tree frog droppings are usually larger than bats, ironically since they are much smaller, and they are almost never inside a structure, usually outside entries with lights. My guess would be, if it’s not finished, you have bats up there coming in after feeding for the night and doing their business before settling in to roost elsewhere in the garage roof. If it’s finished, I’d really need to see what it looks like. As far as toads go, I don’t get a lot of calls for those, but I would agree they should look similar to any other insect eater.

CaptainMusky

No worries bigwerm just giving you a hard time LOL

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We found a batin the attic so ding ding ding. Bat is the final answer. You guys and your toads, really had me questioning my self. Now to wait for the bat to leave and seal up the hole.

Wildlifeguy

I’d consider a one-way door, over the spot they are coming in, if it didn’t just fly in the door that is..

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Only because it might not be alone.

You are correct. That is what I will be doing. Do you have a suggestion what way to make one ?

Wildlifeguy

Way I do it is 1/4 inch hardware cloth, cut a rectangle maybe 7″-9″ by 15″ to 17″, make a half tube, wider at the top, put the wide end to the hole or gap, staple the screen down to the shingles, siding, whatever surface you’re on. Bats have to land and crawl in, they don’t just fly in a hole like a bird. If it’s vinyl, brick, LP etc… tape works, but be careful what you use. Bats can’t chew, so it doesn’t need to be anything super durable. This applies to things like soffit gaps, what we call “overlaps”, I think the technical term is soffit returns, siding holes, whatever. If it’s something like a fascia corner or drip edge, where you don’t have a long enough flat surface to attach, you can still use the screen, just make a full cone, and make sure you angle it down a a decent angle, or you can use aluminum flashing. If you look online, it’ll tell you you need a valve or, some window screen or something at the end, in my experience you don’t, as long as you’re gonna seal it up quickly, just extending the entry away from the hole is enough. Hope that wasn’t too long winded…

LabDaddy1

Oh so it’s bats.

All you need is a couple pots and pans, a fishing net and a broom.

“IT’S OZZY OSBOURNE!!!!” rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Oh so it’s bats.

All you need is a couple pots and pans, a fishing net and a broom.

“IT’S OZZY OSBOURNE!!!!” rotflol

One of the best movies ever lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Way I do it is 1/4 inch hardware cloth, cut a rectangle maybe 7″-9″ by 15″ to 17″, make a half tube, wider at the top, put the wide end to the hole or gap, staple the screen down to the shingles, siding, whatever surface you’re on. Bats have to land and crawl in, they don’t just fly in a hole like a bird. If it’s vinyl, brick, LP etc… tape works, but be careful what you use. Bats can’t chew, so it doesn’t need to be anything super durable. This applies to things like soffit gaps, what we call “overlaps”, I think the technical term is soffit returns, siding holes, whatever. If it’s something like a fascia corner or drip edge, where you don’t have a long enough flat surface to attach, you can still use the screen, just make a full cone, and make sure you angle it down a a decent angle, or you can use aluminum flashing. If you look online, it’ll tell you you need a valve or, some window screen or something at the end, in my experience you don’t, as long as you’re gonna seal it up quickly, just extending the entry away from the hole is enough. Hope that wasn’t too long winded…

Not to long winded at all. I understand and can visualize it. I’m going to go do it in the morning. I appreciate the response

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

The last couple of weeks I’ve have had what looks like the same kind of droppings in the detached garage. I have a lawn chair sitting there and they are almost always under the chair. Would a bat fly that low to do its job? So I’m thinking a toad for me.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Get the Twins’ hitting coach out there. They haven’t had bats in years. whistling

Lou W

Put up a trail cam

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

If it’s a bat they usually sleep in the same spot so poop on the rug makes sense. Why not just go out and squash it with a 2×4?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If it’s a bat they usually sleep in the same spot so poop on the rug makes sense. Why not just go out and squash it with a 2×4?

Well first off bats are protected in mn and Secondly bats are good to have around. They mean no harm, just need to have him find a new home, which so far after setting up my contraptions he left and hasn’t been back.

JEREMY
    BP

They can be protected but im killing everyone I have a chance to.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They can be protected but im killing everyone I have a chance to.

No need for me to kill them. They can fly around all they want at our house. We have tons of bats at out place and very little mosquitoes

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

No need for me to kill them. They can fly around all they want at our house. We have tons of bats at out place and very little mosquitoes

This for the win. Bats are great to have around. When staying on an island in Canada the owner had a couple bat houses in the trees and they would come out at dusk and eat every bug they could. While staying there I almost never saw a mosquito.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I went back tonight because she thought the bat was back, I went in in the garage with a mission and I trapped this guy tonight, he was not a happy camper. But I found him finally and got rid of him. Told my mom she won’t want to be in the garage now, the mosquitos are probably going to take over lol.

Attachments:
    1. 20240619_181614-scaled.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

glad you found the culprit BC

bats and snakes should be protected at all costs in MN if you ask me. as long as the snakes are outside, we are good. mice have done enough damage at our place so we are happy to have the snakes around to help control them, mostly fox snakes.

we had a mouse crawl through the furnace exhaust into our new furnace blower and die inside the condensate jamming the motor. then we had flies feed on the dead corpse and lay maggots that I had to pick out.

we have several bat houses and they actually work better than any bug spray. i cannot remember the last time i was stung by a skeeter on my property. horse flys and ticks are a different story tho

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

glad you found the culprit BC

bats and snakes should be protected at all costs in MN if you ask me. as long as the snakes are outside, we are good. mice have done enough damage at our place so we are happy to have the snakes around to help control them, mostly fox snakes.

we had a mouse crawl through the furnace exhaust into our new furnace blower and die inside the condensate jamming the motor. then we had flies feed on the dead corpse and lay maggots that I had to pick out.

we have several bat houses and they actually work better than any bug spray. i cannot remember the last time i was stung by a skeeter on my property. horse flys and ticks are a different story tho

I’m going to look in to putting up bat houses on her property, skeeters are always bad, she has 2 big ponds in the yard. There is never a shortage of skeeters in their yard. As for snakes I love them and they play a very important role around the house, especially being near the woods. We welcome them to hang around as much as possible. I have only seen 1 mouse in my garage in the 4 or 5 years we have lived here. But we catch bull snakes in the area pretty often.

JEREMY
    BP

I dont mind bats outside but if one gets in the house I can put my pink panties on. I be screaming like a like a little girl.

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.