What is your once in a lifetime dream trip – Hunting or Fishing

• Deuces

Bucket list stuff, some I’ve gone on without luck for myself which keeps it on list…

Rainy sturgeon

Missouri paddlefish

Southern crappie

Pool 4 flathead

Appalachian smallmouth

Southern largemouth 10#+

Blue cats

Red river cats

Greenbacks

Columbia River eyes

Saltwater fish just don’t intrigue me rn nor ever have. Rather be on the beach getting jiggy w a mojito. Overseas stuff I’ve been talking with some fellas on biking thru countries, not a word of fishing involved. Guess priorities change w other fun hobbies. Fortunate enough to have most my list within grasp here in the states which should keep me busy for awhile

BrianF

Huge Canadian lake trout up shallow in the fall, Texas teener largemouth, and massive NZ brown trout would be on my bucket list. I don’t hunt, so nothing calls me in that regard.

Amazon peacock bass are mentioned frequently. A good buddy of mine did it about 10 years ago. I passed on the trip due to the cost and the hassle factor. Reflecting on the trip later, his reports of a $9K price tag, several required immunization shots, travel snafu’s, unsanitary conditions, tough fishing, and stiffling heat and humidity had me feeling I made the right decision.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m gearing up for the Great Loop that’s called the Adventure of a Lifetime, I guess. Some fishing involved but that’s not what the trip is about.

Traveling down the Mississippi to the Ohio, then over to the Tennessee River to the Tom Bigbie which will plop us out into Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Stick around Florida for a few months and hope to connect with a crazy Idoer down there.
    In the spring it will be up the East Coast until I see the Hudson River.
    I’m not sure of our exact route from there to the Great Lakes due to height restrictions.

Hugging the East side of Lake Michigan until I can see Chicago, then down the Cal-Sag to the IL waterway and cross our wake at Grafton IL. From there it’s just a few days back up the Mississippi and settle in Red Wing again.

Lot’s of things can change, but the target date is Sept 1st 2025. Planning on about a year trip. I’m looking ahead, excited, nervous and stressed all at the same time.

ThunderLund78

BK – that is outstanding! My Dad and Uncle went from Coville Park in Redwing To the Florida Keys via the Mississippi/Bigbie in a 25′ Larson Cabin Cruiser back in 2001 after my dad retired. They trailered the boat back home. It was a trip of a lifetime for them, but what you’re describing is so much more – I hope you get to do it and it all works out. What type of craft are you taking?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m gearing up for the Great Loop that’s called the Adventure of a Lifetime, I guess. Some fishing involved but that’s not what the trip is about.

Traveling down the Mississippi to the Ohio, then over to the Tennessee River to the Tom Bigbie which will plop us out into Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Stick around Florida for a few months and hope to connect with a crazy Idoer down there.
    I’m not sure of our exact route from there to the Great Lakes due to height restrictions.

Hugging the East side of Lake Michigan until I can see Chicago, then down the Cal-Sag to the IL waterway and cross our wake at Grafton IL. From there it’s just a few days back up the Mississippi and settle in Red Wing again.

Lot’s of things can change, but the target date is Sept 1st 2025. Planning on about a year trip. I’m looking ahead, excited, nervous and stressed all at the same time.

That sounds like an adventure for sure. You will need to do daily updates along the way on that trip for sure. I’m sure lots here would love to follow along with you on that trip.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

LOL! A fishing site that has a report of a hah tuna boat cruise??

It’s a 39′ Carver. Just got back from the 5th and final practice run down to Grafton (close to St Louis) and back. As they say, everything on a yacht is broken, just don’t know when. crazy

From what I’ve seen so far, the beauty of the river is incredible and they say the Canadian passage far exceeds Pools 6, 5 and 5a.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

My dream trip is quiting my job and traveling one fall for pheasants in a bunch of places west of the Mississippi. And camping.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Amazon peacock bass are mentioned frequently. A good buddy of mine did it about 10 years ago. I passed on the trip due to the cost and the hassle factor. Reflecting on the trip later, his reports of a $9K price tag, several required immunization shots, travel snafu’s, unsanitary conditions, tough fishing, and stiffling heat and humidity had me feeling I made the right decision.

Ya I hear and read some real mixed reports on Amazon Peacock Bass Trips. That trip would require lots of research 1st. The location and heat would not be for everyone – That’s for sure.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A new one I’ve added to my bucket list is a trip to either Scott Lake Lodge right on the border of Saskatchewan and the NW territories or to Wollaston Lake lodge in NE Saskatchewan for BIG PIKE and BIG Lake Trout. Both are remote locations but with high end accommodations, Food, and Guides. May have to turn that one into a retirement gift to myself.

KP
    Hudson, WI

BK that trip sounds amazing and please do share updates of your journey when you do go! I’ve always wanted to try this but just need to get the right vessel for it.

For me I would love to do a long Pheasant trip out west just not sure where yet and also a Canadian fly in fishing trip would be fun too.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

A new one I’ve added to my bucket list is a trip to either Scott Lake Lodge right on the border of Saskatchewan and the NW territories or to Wollaston Lake lodge in NE Saskatchewan for BIG PIKE and BIG Lake Trout. Both are remote locations but with high end accommodations, Food, and Guides. May have to turn that one into a retirement gift to myself.

Friend of mine & his son did Wollaston. From what he said it’s fantastic.

Brad Dimond

FIL did North Star Lodge on Knee Lake in Manitoba for several years. Travel to Winnipeg, they provide flights to the Lodge. High end both accommodations and price, great fishing. He brought home Manitoba Master Angler awards for pike several years running. Hoping to get there with my son.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not to be morbid but………..

We all have somebody we know who passed early in life. It’s always unbelievable that it happened to them. But it could also happen to us. Plan that bucket list now, don’t wait because we never know.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We all have somebody we know who passed early in life. It’s always unbelievable that it happened to them. But it could also happen to us. Plan that bucket list now, don’t wait because we never know.

100% agree. I always say ” You can always make more money, But you can’t get more time ” when that internal clock runs out, its over !!!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Friend of mine & his son did Wollaston. From what he said it’s fantastic.

My fishing buddy and his Daughter did Wollaston lake lodge in July 2022. They both said it was Great. Both caught a fair # of Pike over 40″ and both caught some Monster lake Trout.

Brad Dimond

Absolutely agree. Had a heart attack and bypass surgery in April. Recovering well but hitting the bucket list now. Working with my kid to get on his schedule for late June/July for a Knee Lake trip. He provides transport to Winnipeg (works for Delta), I float the remainder of the bills. May also hit San Diego for Yellowtail tuna, have a nephew out there who is the same age as my son. Again, if kid picks up transportation I pay for the fishing.

Jason Merritt

LOTW August 3-5 this year with my Son, Best Friend from High School and his son. My buddy has health issues and we aren’t getting any younger. My buddy”s son is moving away to college and my son lives away from home, so any chance too get away and enjoy the company of people you love and appreciate is a great trip for me. The older I get the more I enjoy the little things in life that involve the people I love and admire.

brandyman
    West central MN

Funny this thread got started again. I got the opportunity to take my dad to Alberta for a bull moose hunt in 2022. It was super short notice, but we brought home about 1200 lbs of awesome meat!
    I always wanted to do a “western” hunt so I kinda did my “once” already.
    That said, I still want to go to Alaska, hunting or fishing.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I had a coworker just retire a couple months ago who is beginning this trip soon.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

May walleye opener on vermilion with my own son, just like when I was a kid. Not much to do now but wait another 10 months or so, I think at 4 the boy will be ready to roll and roll.

btyreprich
    Rhinelander, WI

Hunting – never hunted for anything in my life but wild boar hunting in Texas sounds quite interesting to me. I need to take a hunter’s safety class in preparation of this adventure.
    Fishing – Alaska for coastal fishing of Halibut. Photos of a friend’s trip there this year has smiles on everyone!

Viewing 21 posts - 61 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.