What is this? Solenoid return tube?

• philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’ve having some work done on my Ranger Trail trailer, it’s a 2005, single axle. Ranger is building me a whole new swing away tongue with actuator and everything in there. I had the trailer at a shop to replace the master cylinder, but the whole coupler had got all messed up and that’s my only option now :(.

Anyways, I picked up the boat today from the shop while I wait for the part to get shipped to me, hopefully in time for my Canada trip next week. It’s a total cluster*$*%. They pointed out that this tube in these pictures had a slight cut in it, so they are going to have to cut a couple inches off of this tube/hose, but they are worried that it might not be long enough to hook into the master cylinder now.

My question is, what is it? I’ve been googling around and it looks like a ‘Solenoid return tube’, does this tube actually carry brake fluid or is it just air pressure or something?

I need to find a bit hose(~24″) to replace this, or to have handy so it can be replaced if necessary. Is this a special type of hose? I’d like to go out somewhere and buy it as opposed to ordering online, but I’m not sure what exactly it is or where to get it.

Any help is much appreciated, I’m now on basically week 2.5 of trying to get this fixed, and it’s looking like a 50/50 chance that I’ll be able to bring the new boat up to Canada, a sad day it will be :(.

Attachments:
    1. IMG-1813.jpg

2. IMG-1812.jpg

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

The first pic is the part that hooks up to the currently uninstalled master cylinder.

sji

It appears to be metal?

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

The reverse bypass? Reverse lights activate the selonoid allowing fluid to bypass back to the reservoir?

I would think rubber brake line would work fine. Seeing as how it would be the low pressure side.

They used zipties to seal the connections, so it’s definitely not high pressure. Not sure if rubber transmission line is rated for use with brake fluid, but it is readily available at auto parts stores in multiple sizes. Would work fine in a pinch.

sji

My thoughts also. Steel compression couplers is what I use on brake lines. Or have a hydraulic shop make up a hose.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

You want EPDM Brake Reservoir hose. Call some auto parts stores.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.