What is best time of year for LOW NW Angle?

• JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

If you were setting up a LOW fishing trip in the NW Angle for open water, when would you go?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you were setting up a LOW fishing trip in the NW Angle for open water, when would you go?

For walleye? June. But the bite up there throughout the summer is very good. I’m a couple days away from heading up there over the 4th with the family and I’m confident we’ll see a very good bite.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

Thanks James. I had reservations for this weekend too (Sunset Lodge) but moved to the last weekend in July unless I hear otherwise from anyone else of a better time to fish. And yes, walleye. Weather looks dicey (wet and wind) and didn’t want to give the Mrs. a bad first impression of the area.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I think fishing is the best in June and Early July but have never struggled catching fish from late July to October. It’s just a matter of how you want to fish them!

dave_n
    Champlin, MN

I just got back from being up there last week and the fishing was up and down. The water temp went from 66 when we arrived up to 76 degrees when we left. We always fish the muskie opener the 3rd week of June and always have good fishing in general, for walleye, pike and bass. Good luck!

mnbigfishonly
    Southeast Metro

We were up at Sunset Lodge this past weekend (June 26-30) for 4 nights. We fished Canada for the most part as the reefs in the US were not holding walleyes – at least for us. In general we caught a large number of walleyes on the Canada reefs as well as success throwing raps for small mouth. We had great small mouth fishing and caught quite a few eyes throwing against the rocks.

Also caught a 38″ musky on a walleye jig – was pretty fun.

We caught eyes everywhere from 5 feet to 25 feet. 18-22 was best. The size was not a large as we have seen in the past couple years on the US side but got a 24″, couple 23’s, etc.

We had gone up in mid-July in the past and fished the US for the most part. So this was fun to fish more Canada and do more searching for the fish.

Good luck!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Sometimes the algae bloom gets bad in August-September, but otherwise you really can’t go wrong. I agree the June through early July is ideal.

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

We spent 3.5 days up there after the MTT Tourney. Fishing was absolutely outstanding. It is one special place and I would guess you would be hard pressed to find a bad time to go.

I wrote a lengthy report at http://www.teamshrimpy.com from our time on the water.
    I hope it helps if you are headed up that way.

Tight Lines

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

One difference in my last two trips up to the Angle. .

Last year during the 4th of July week the water temp was at or more than 10° cooler and there was a fantastic shoreline bite..

This year with the warmer Temps the shore fish moved out deeper and on the reefs..

Two totally different types of fishing..

We caught several fish using shoreline casting and lead core trolling so which ever technique you like most is an option !!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.