What height scope rings?

• Reef W

Hopefully this is my last question about this setup…

I have a Savage 110 Timberline and ended up getting a Vortex Diamondback 3-9×40 for now. I was going to get the DNZ Game Reaper 2 rings because… somebody said they were good I guess, I don’t remember why. They come in three heights though. Is it based simply on which ones are high enough for the scope to fit or do you factor in your cheek weld and how that lines up? Is is possible I would want higher ones than the minimum required? As you can tell I don’t know anything about this stuff.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

On paper, you’ll generally ensure a higher level of accuracy the closer you can mount it to the receiver, but as you alluded to, we all have different faces so your cheek weld may require something a little higher. If it were me, I usually try to shoot for as low as possible on a hunting rifle, and then IF there are any discrepancies (usually no issues) I’ll adjust my cheek weld to suit.

Talley Lightweights are another good ring option.

Coletrain27

too low and your bolt may hit the scope. i ran into that problem on a savage axis and had to go with taller ones

Reef W

Thanks guys. Scope should be here in a couple days and I’ll see what I can figure out before ordering rings.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Ring height is determined by a combination of scope objective size, gun configuration, and shooting position/comfort preferences.

Makers of scope mounting rings have specs and guides for ring height that will give you a good starting point. I found this for DNZ:

https://dnzproducts.com/DNZ-Products-Scope-Mount-Height-Chart/

Otherwise call the maker’s customer service line and ask.what they recommend

Grouse

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.