What Do You Enjoy the Most About Ice Fishing

• AnotherFisherman

After reading through the annoying things about ice fishing. I’d like to hear what everyone’s favorite aspects of ice fishing are?

For me:
    Fishing throughout the whole year!
    Using different baits/tactics (jigging spoons, Leech Flutter Spoon, etc.)
    There is just something about reeling in a 25+ inch walleye through an 8 inch hole using a 3 ft pole that I love!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Fishing waytogo

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Not having to buy ice for the beer to go fishing!

X2 on solitude nothing better then being out in the middle of the lake on crisp clear night and no one around.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

The unknown of what is coming up through the hole. You can’t see what is is until it’s close to the hole unlike open water. That and being out fishing when most normal people don’t do it.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i’m a full blown spearchucker, so watching the behavior of the fish below me is awesome. sometimes i’m glad noone is around me to hear me laughing at some of the things they do!!!!

when i do angle…..i sometimes have my underwater camera down, fun to watch.
    catching is just a bonus!!!
    otherwise like everyone said……….solitude, no ice needed for beer, no bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I’ve never had a boat. This is the only time I get out on lakes. The rest of the year I’m on the bank or wading. Shacks are also like really cool forts that I wanted as a kid.

TH

I like the interaction with the fish. Watching them on live sonar and teasing them, trying to get them to bite. The wind isn’t blowing me all over. There’s too many other things I like to do in the summer so I rarely fish. Winter, there is not much else to do but fish, so I’ll see you on the lake.

mnfisherman18

I love many things about ice fishing. Just the ambiance of being on an empty lake surrounded by pine trees and falling snow is pretty awesome. I also like that it forces me to sit and relax. I am constantly moving and looking for fish in my boat, but I tend to set up on my best spot and wait until dark when I ice fish.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

1. Being able to fish lakes that I can’t reach in open water. Backwoods lakes that I just can’t walk to anymore after knee surgeries.

2. Spending time with my dad, he’s getting up there and has had some serious health problems over the years. His passion was always musky fishing, but physically he just can’t anymore. He’s not comfortable on a boat, so sitting in the shack with him is pretty damn cool.

Cameron white

This.

Attachments:
    1. F6A81C21-8F16-4701-9D09-6DA9C6BAC7BB-scaled.jpeg

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Solitude

X10000000

Yep

Attachments:
    1. B3BB7C3C-B493-4302-B1F6-C2254F29BD29.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

100% on the sunsets! Can’t beat the views you get on the ice!

Attachments:
    1. 5E071FCE-6FAD-4C8B-934E-A20179144FEB.jpeg

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

X2 on sunsets and solitude

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yes the views are priceless and we need to just enjoy them more, whether on the dock, ice, duck blind or deer stand.

Matho that looks like the channel between Chisago and Lindstrom?

Red Eye

Being the only one out and being on em is priceless.

Attachments:
    1. AF6737E9-88BF-403E-BD57-2265D884E14E.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Yes the views are priceless and we need to just enjoy them more, whether on the dock, ice, duck blind or deer stand.

Matho that looks like the channel between Chisago and Lindstrom?

Prior Lake.

Corey sunderman

Plain and simple….. Catching fish. Big ones and lots of them

castle-rock-clown

I love ice camping. I love the fishing action and hanging out with other anglers during the day. But in the evening the lake becomes deserted except for me in most cases. Then it’s the sunsets and solitude. I sleep well and nor enjoy the ice booms and rippers during the night. My wake up alarm is the sound of the crackling of ice in the morning as the first anglers come out onto the lake and the sound of their ice augers drilling holes.

Attachments:
    1. 5A8E5893-93F3-4DB7-9BA3-F3EEC2235E50.jpeg

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Whatever the weather is outside it’s always the same in the house. Unless the wind is blowing like a banshee.

Dan Baker

Being able to fish after dark.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I like facing the elements.

I also agree with what someone else said – fish houses feel like cool little forts. I enjoy being nice and cozy inside my fish house while the weather is raging outside.

The sunrises, sunsets, and stars also cant be beat

blackbay

Watching a bobber bounce a couple of times then disappear down the hole. woot

KP
    Hudson, WI

My buddy brings out his kids with us when we go out and seeing their excitement when they catch a fish is what I enjoy the most.

Nodak

Ice camping. I love waking up and fishing in bed. I love how comfortable I can make it and finding my favorite gear. Watching electronics is like watching a campfire. I love the slow days to. I play video games, cook awesome food, drink pop, watch 80s movies, listen to music/libertarian podcasts, and fantasy audio books if I can’t sleep. Sometimes a fish interrupts my fun. I love the smell of a hot shack, the solitude, and sounds of the ice. I love being alone but I do feel safer with another. Occasionally I’ll take a novice but most people are into other things. The one fishing partner that loved it as much as I do moved.

queenswake
    NULL

I love many things about ice fishing. Just the ambiance of being on an empty lake surrounded by pine trees and falling snow is pretty awesome. I also like that it forces me to sit and relax. I am constantly moving and looking for fish in my boat, but I tend to set up on my best spot and wait until dark when I ice fish.

Yes, the relaxation part. During summer I spend so much time looking at the graph and standing and trying to move 5 feet over to that better area, that I often don’t relax much unless I anchor and bobber. But in winter, I am not a run and gunner, so it forces me to just sit there and relax.

tim hurley

Catching fish.
    Too obvious? I was ripping in pannies one day and I thought this would be so much better if it were threw the ice. Why? Not sure.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.