What a Moron

• Deuces

Wasn’t my intention but I guess, geez. toast

Attachments:
    1. MEME20190718_121319.jpg

matt

Rescuers chose their profession.No one held a gun to their head and forced them to put their lives on the line.Whether its to rescue someone who did a dumb thing or someone involved in a completely accidental situation.Sick of hearing people put them in danger,they chose to put themselves in danger.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You know what. Butt-scratcher and FBRM are right. Using this opportunity to promote boating safety was wrong. I guess I’m the moron.

Timmy

I agree, the guy is an idiot. But what about the guy who is stand up paddleboarding from Duluth to the Arctic Ocean, and who previously paddleboarded around all of Lake Superior in 2015?

http://www.fox21online.com/2019/06/10/local-attempts-stand-up-paddle-boarding-from-duluth-to-arctic-ocean/

Well planned out and LEGAL, as opposed to not planned out and ILLEGAL. (not that I think it is a great idea, but everybody gets their jollies differently)

B-man

#smallfistbumpundertable

Big difference, but I guess to think about it would take pulling your bunched up shorts out your ars first.

I’ve made that crossing 10 or 12 times. How many times have you?

On more than a few of them my butt hole clenched down on my shorts and I was thankful to get to safe harbor to pull them out.

It’s a beautiful place, but it demands the utmost respect of the lake. Superior can be a mean bitch, even when you think she won’t. It can go from bluebird skies and 20 mile visibility to blinding 20 yard visibility in literally minutes.

I speak from experience, not keyboard jockeying.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170830_095600.jpg

B-man

Here’s a Modis pic from a couple days ago to show you what fog looks like from space (look at the areas east and west of IR on the lake)

Lake Superior is notorious for fog, especially in the summer months with large differences in air and water temps.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190718-131455.png

Deuces

I just can’t discuss this with you anymore B-man. Knowing we have the same grill, thus from henceforth we are to be grill brothers.

Just want to come find you and give ya a big ol fistbump toast

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20170717_163938698.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just learned we are brothers of a different manufacturer.

B-man

BBQ 4 Life Bros toast

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I just can’t discuss this with you anymore B-man. Knowing we have the same grill, thus from henceforth we are to be grill brothers.

Just want to come find you and give ya a big ol fistbump toast

Woah, what are the odds, I have one of those too hahaha

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Is this like Eskimo brothers?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Did we just become best friends? Yup!!!

Deuces

Only rule of BBQ bros is don’t touch each other’s meat.

Unless he has a bedazzled spatula, then you should have known better to share a grill with him.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

they chose to put themselves in danger.

No…you chose to put yourself in danger…we’re trying to get you out of it! and if it’s that bad that we may die or get severely injured, kiss your arse goodnight cause we plan on going home to our families.

big_g
    Isle, MN

LOL !!!

Attachments:
    1. JET-SKIER.jpg

matt

Sorry,they took the job knowing full well they may have to put themselves in danger even risk death to save an idiot who did something dumb.Sounds like a part of the job some rescuers may not like.Guess they should have chose a different profession.Had a cop tell me she didnt like scraping people off the road that didnt wear their seatbelt,I told her to find a new occupation.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I respect those rescue boats, but man, have you SEEN the wakes they create? They are just as much a danger to a jet skier as that fog!!!

Iowaboy1

EPG,you should have added this to the beginning of the post.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The guy is an ill-advised idiot that needlessly put himself in harms way – not because of bad circumstances, but because of foolish pride and bravado….. fist bump him all you want, it only appears foolish to most.

Anyone that’s made the crossing is likely to understand why this guy is a complete fool to be shunned, ridiculed, and rejected.

bigpike

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Timmy wrote:</div>
    The guy is an ill-advised idiot that needlessly put himself in harms way – not because of bad circumstances, but because of foolish pride and bravado….. fist bump him all you want, it only appears foolish to most.

Anyone that’s made the crossing is likely to understand why this guy is a complete fool to be shunned, ridiculed, and rejected.

And in the words of the great Wayne Larrivee ” There is your dagger!”

(Keymaster dagger at that)

Snap

The responses here are so disappointing. Our modern world has all but completely eliminated our most basic human sense of adventure. We’re no longer allowed to try crazy things or embark on crazy adventures.

“The Wright Brothers were fools. Everyone knows man can’t fly. They’ll just kill themselves.”

“Christopher Columbus a moron for attempting such a reckless voyage. Endangering the lives of his crew. Risking the lives of any potential rescuers. Our taxes (i.e. legal theft) pays for that!”

The thought of attempting 22 mile adventure across open water to an island destination on a Jet Ski stirs some lost sense of excitement in me. Something I probably wouldn’t attempt but I might casually day dream of it while sitting in rush hour traffic. Kudos to this guy for living his dream.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

This is why you no longer see ‘the old guys’ on here. Nobody can have a respectable opinion anymore.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I personally think that both sides have made a point concerning this subject and think it is time for the cross fire to quiet down, please. coffee tia

Thank you. coffee

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The responses here are so disappointing. Our modern world has all but completely eliminated our most basic human sense of adventure. We’re no longer allowed to try crazy things or embark on crazy adventures.

“The Wright Brothers were fools. Everyone knows man can’t fly. They’ll just kill themselves.”

“Christopher Columbus a moron for attempting such a reckless voyage. Endangering the lives of his crew. Risking the lives of any potential rescuers. Our taxes (i.e. legal theft) pays for that!”

The thought of attempting 22 mile adventure across open water to an island destination on a Jet Ski stirs some lost sense of excitement in me. Something I probably wouldn’t attempt but I might casually day dream of it while sitting in rush hour traffic. Kudos to this guy for living his dream.

You’re comparing this guy to the wright brothers and Coloumbus? There are some minor differences there. The word preparation comes to mind. This guy had none.

B-man

The guy in the story didn’t invent the jet ski and use it to discover Isle Royale.

If he did, it would have been awesome…..but….he didn’t.

I took a vessel with half the horsepower, years earlier, in the fog, to Isle Royale. Some have compared me to Ferdinand Magellan and Vasco da Gama (or not). lol

He’s very lucky to have gotten a call out with coordinates. If he didn’t, the Coast Guard would have had to spend a ton more money and man hours looking to save his dumbass.

To compare his actions to Columbus is beyond comical. The word compass comes to mind.

“I’m embarrassed this happened,” Crevenston said. “I have experience exploring lakes. The fog came in, and I became disoriented.”

Lund4Life

Putting this yahoo in the same sentence as the Wright brothers gave me a good laugh and is another reason why I love the internet.

Deuces

I don’t think anyone here has NOT said his lack of preparation was moronic. When a $5 compass from Harbor Freight probably would’ve saved his butt it really goes without saying.

It’s the fact when a person does something adventurous and fails its considered the worst thing in this world nowadays. No wonder the world is so full of helicopter parents and kids afraid to leave their own backyard. At the same time those same parents blame the youth for not doing the same things that they used to do. Viscous cycle.

It’s Friday, ill leave my grill bros to finish this one up. No fun left in it anymore tongue

B-man

The big question is even if he had a compass would he have known how to use it? Did he know the bearing to the north gap, or the bearing from the gap back to GP? (I’m guessing negative)

Most boaters don’t the difference between a bearing and a heading, magnetic north or true north, how to plot a course, or how to use a chart. It’s the world we live in and those core basics have been forgotten by most.

If someone told you to follow a 130 degree heading would you know what direction that is? Is it NW? SE? SSW? Most sixth graders could tell you, but the vast majority of adults would have no clue.

For Christ’s sake he had a cell phone with GPS and still got lost. You don’t need cell service to use your phone’s GPS.

Granted navigating in thick fog with handle bars and a cell phone would have been difficult, but he still could have made slow headway in the right general direction.

What it boils down to is this guy had no idea what he was doing, other than seeing the island and driving towards it. My 4 year olds could do that….

He’s not a lake explorer. He’s a dolt from DC that wouldn’t listen to the Native Americans that have lived on the lake for countless generations. They named it “the great sea” for a reason.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Really? We all have different opinions and that’s the way it works. But I don’t understand the name calling in this thread. Maybe I’m the idiot.

Let’s try to be friends eh??

Meanwhile for your viewing pleasure…. from 11 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘What a Moron’ is closed to new replies.