What a Moron

• Drizzy Musky
    Duluth

Lack of respect, lucky he was not swallowed. Most coasters have no idea what a great lake can do. Not knowing that thick fog can develop in the middle of July is a complete lack of preparation.

Dude said he “is safety oriented” if thats the case then he never would’ve made the trip.

B-man

That dipshit had no business attempting what he did.

I’ve taken my boat to Isle Royale several times. It’s known as the crossing, and is nothing to take lightly.

The waves, fog and cold water are real, and will kill you. To take a jet ski with limited or no instruments, no VHF radio and no flares to Isle Royale is evolution at its best.

It’s also illegal…..

He is beyond lucky that he somehow got a cell call out. It’s a miracle for how far offshore he was.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

He was probably making a you tube video and needed a bunch of likes on his social media

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Sad but true. This very well could have been the motivation. No solid plan or survival gear but probably had a handle bar mounted #attention-pro camera pointed at his face the whole time. Now looking for a movie deal.

He was probably making a you tube video and needed a bunch of likes on his social media

Ryan

macho man will think twice next time.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The waves, fog and cold water are real, and will kill you. To take a jet ski with limited or no instruments, no VHF radio and no flares to Isle Royale is evolution at its best.

Yeah, no radio, compass or gps is asinine for any watercraft making that crossing. Not to mention having plenty of fuel. That was my biggest concern on my first crossing. They don’t always have fuel out there either.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

“Verizon should put this guy in an ad campaign. Cell service in the middle of Lake Superior. Incredible.” Best comment ever

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Guaranteed!

Deuces

Idk, I give the guy kudos for the balls on making such a trek. He can take his chances all he wants on himself.

B-man

Idk, I give the guy kudos for the balls on making such a trek. He can take his chances all he wants on himself.

Kudos??? Are you kidding?

It’s a lot more involved than taking a chance on himself.

He cost us taxpayers thousands of dollars….

He cost the shipping vessel thousands of dollars….

And the “trek” very well could have cost him his life.

The guy is a complete moron.

CaptainMusky

Kudos??? Are you kidding?

It’s a lot more involved than taking a chance on himself.

He cost us taxpayers thousands of dollars….

He cost the shipping vessel thousands of dollars….

And the “trek” very well could have cost him his life.

The guy is a complete moron.

I am with you on this one. So many people think well he is only endangering himself, well, what about all the rescuers? What if he died and left a family behind? What a stupid and selfless act! If he was at all safety oriented as he claimed to be, he would have never done that as ill-prepared as he was.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

While I agree with you guys, I think mr butt-scratcher is trolling here.

Timmy

The article states that “after a few minutes admiring the coastline and clear waters, he started his return trip to Grand Portage”

Personal watercraft are prohibited in the park (which extends out 4.5 miles from land). I would like to know that he was, in fact, ticketed for that violation.

He should also be ticketed for visiting the park without the proper permit – as I doubt the permit would be issued if he listed that watercraft, as the watercraft you take is a mandated piece of info on the permit app.

Deuces

While I agree with you guys, I think mr butt-scratcher is trolling here.

No trolling here gillman.

Noone forced rescuers to take their jobs. They know the risks. Some might say thats what they anticipated and looked forward to.

Taxpayers? Let the fines find their way to him if there are any. I do hope the consequences are severe.

I didn’t read any mention of family, maybe I missed it. Sure would be a good reason for your argument but until it’s presented let’s not fictionalize.

Our country was founded on adventurers, we’ve lost alot of that in today’s society. Granted, not much left to be discovered but still, I like the gusto.

B-man

Butt Itcher, there’s nothing wrong with an adventure. But you need to be prepared for it.

His quest for discovery was negligent and unnecessarily put the lives of others at risk.

He was warned that it was a terrible idea, yet went forward with it.

The next time you or someone you know goes on a poorly planned “adventure,” please remember the helicopter crew members that recently died in a crash trying to save other people’s lives.

Deuces

Im not putting this guy on a pedestal here fellas.

I’m just saying at a dinner party after he’s recanted his tale, and everyone is thinking to themselves what a moron, rightfully so, I might be the guy giving him a small fist bump under the table. That’s it.

There’s many unsung heros all over the world who are dying from their occupations bman. I’ll reiterate what I said before, noone forced em to do it. It’s what they signed up for. If it is too dangerous the pay goes up and it brings em back in. Last time I took the mpls firefighter test there were several hundred people doing same thing for just a dozen or so spots to fill…..

Small rural communities are different and mostly volunteer so I guess there’s that as well….

B-man

Makes perfect sense….. Justifying stupid actions because your rescuers “signed up for it.”

Got it #fistbump

catmando
    wis

Now wait a minute., he said, he had lake exploring experience. Bad experience I am thinking. What a goomba!

Timmy

The guy is an ill-advised idiot that needlessly put himself in harms way – not because of bad circumstances, but because of foolish pride and bravado….. fist bump him all you want, it only appears foolish to most.

Deuces

#smallfistbumpundertable

Big difference, but I guess to think about it would take pulling your bunched up shorts out your ars first.

Timmy

I’ll see if I can un-bunch em(might take a while, as they used to be long johns!)

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Even if you think he’s adventurous that doesn’t change the fact that he’s an idiot. A jet ski to isle royal??? Only an idiot would attempt.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only unfortunate thing is he didn’t get what he deserved.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

A boat operator drives too fast on the Croix, injures passenger….IDO feels waves were too big… Boater is a victim. No fault.

Guy goes to superior… Is moron.

)

Anonymous
    Inactive

All worried about 1 guy on a jet ski, but I remember a long time ago quite a few people here thought texting & driving was OK…….

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

There’s many unsung heros all over the world who are dying from their occupations bman. I’ll reiterate what I said before, noone forced em to do it. It’s what they signed up for. If it is too dangerous the pay goes up and it brings em back in. Last time I took the mpls firefighter test there were several hundred people doing same thing for just a dozen or so spots to fill…..

Helicopter, fog, darkness, middle of Lake Superior. What part about that would the rescuers look forward to?

The next time you or someone you know goes on a poorly planned “adventure,” please remember the helicopter crew members that recently died in a crash trying to save other people’s lives.

This.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Helicopter, fog, darkness, middle of Lake Superior. What part about that would the rescuers look forward to?

The paycheck

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I personally think that both sides have made a point concerning this subject and think it is time for the cross fire to quiet down, please. coffee tia

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘What a Moron’ is closed to new replies.