Wet Floors in Garage

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Obviously it very humid this weekend. My detached garage floors are totally wet, like I’ve seen in the spring when frost is coming out. What’s weird to me is that my attached garage floors are dry, but the detached garage floors are wet. What’s the deal with that. I’ve got a blower blowing on the floor to get some air movement, but that only does so much. Why are my floors this wet in comparison to my other garage?

Attachments:
    1. 20240825_131923-scaled.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Lot of condensation from the humidity or the concrete below is sweating and pulling water due to no vapor barrier.
    Just get a fan or 2 out there and keep air moving.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^x2

Garage ceiling fans are extremely underrated. You can find decent cheap ones at Menards and they make a huge difference both with humidity/condensation and then in the winter circulating heat down to the floor. I can’t remember the last time ours were turned off.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

^x2

Garage ceiling fans are extremely underrated. You can find decent cheap ones at Menards and they make a huge difference both with humidity/condensation and then in the winter circulating heat down to the floor. I can’t remember the last time ours were turned off.

I was definitely thinking about that. Thanks for confirming.

B-man

The shop floor at our new place sweats. Not sure if the floor doesn’t have a vapor barrier or if it’s from the micro climate we live in, or both. It’s very common to have dense fog all day in the summer with NE winds from the lake.

The humidity in the shop got so bad that some fabrics on certain gear started to grow mold (the seats on my Otter shacks, various backpacks, clothing, etc). Some textiles were fine, while others weren’t.

Fans and opening windows on nice days helped some, but overall the humidity was still too high (70%+)

A few weeks ago I plugged in a portable dehumidifier in the middle of the shop and have it ran into the floor drain. It completely cured my problem. It cycles on and off as needed and keeps the shop at a consistent 55% waytogo

No more damp floors or mold.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

The shop floor at our new place sweats. Not sure if the floor doesn’t have a vapor barrier or if it’s from the micro climate we live in, or both. It’s very common to have dense fog all day in the summer with NE winds from the lake.

The humidity in the shop got so bad that some fabrics on certain gear started to grow mold (the seats on my Otter shacks, various backpacks, clothing, etc). Some did textiles were fine, while others weren’t.

Fans and opening windows on nice days helped some, but overall the humidity was still too high (70%+)

A few weeks ago I plugged in a portable dehumidifier in the middle of the shop and have it ran into the floor drain. It completely cured my problem. It cycles on and off as needed and keeps the shop at a consistent 55% waytogo

No more damp floors or mold.

Nice. Might have to do the same. Wish I had a floor drain.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

A vapor barrier under these conditions don’t help as the floor is colder than the dew point and moisture will condense on it. The only options are to keep air moving or a dehumidifier

Plunker

I bought a dehumidifier for my shop a couple years ago, made a world of difference in comfort and working out there. I don’t have a drain, but the there is a crack next to the sliding door where the concrete apron meets up, I just let it run right there and the water seeps into the crack at such a slow rate it doesn’t harm anything.

Even in the hottest weather we’ve had this year, temp in my shop never rose above 75, of course I also have some trees surrounding it to help keep some sun off of it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.