WEIRDEST THING YOU'VE CAUGHT OR SEEN CAUGHT

• gordonk
    Inactive

Many moons ago when I was just a lad living in Sheboygan, the fall salmon run was a daily event for me. I accidentally snagged a salmon, (no, really, I did. Hated the snaggers and still do.) The critter broke me off. Two days later, fishing far upriver, I got a huge jolt on the end of my line and when I reeled in, it was the lure I lost. I know it was mine, since I did a custom paint job on them. I still have that lucky lure, but by now, the paint has worn off.

When I was in fourth or fifth grade, my dad and I were on our annual camping, fishing trip. I snagged an illegal trotline. It fought like the dickens and as it got closer to the boat, I saw a big bass and thought I’d hooked a real trophy. Seconds later, I saw a northern. More excitement, followed by huge confusion. Did the pike eat my bass? Then we saw the green line. It had ten bass, three pike and two walleyes. To my dads credit, he threw them all back and took the line back to show the warden.

Jack
    Stillwater, MN

I reeled in an unopened beer can once, and know someone who snagged an iphone

31lifer

On a Canadian fishing trip my uncle said he had a nice one but when he got it to the boat it turned out to be a full can of pop. Hooked it perfectly on the tab. The same trip he caught a clam.

Matt Ny

Had a muskrat come up through the ice hole while a buddy and I were fishing, flipped the house up and the thing ran between my buddies legs and then back toward me, I jumped over it and it ran like hell, got back to fishing after about a 1/2hr of laughter!

My brother dropped his phone though the ice hole once, caught it after it soaked for 18hrs, threw it in a bag of rice when he got home and turned it on after a couple days and it worked!

Same brother dropped his keys down the hole and I grabbed the biggest lindy darter I have and jigged off the bottom and snagged them! Needless to say I bought him catch cover grates for all the holes in the fishhouse!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was fishing in the early morning well before first light, and snagged the poor thing with a top water Bass Bug and an 8 weight fly rod. After getting the hook out (barbless!) he sat in the water and yelled at me for at least 10 minutes. Then he popped up on the other side of the boat and started in on me again. He was pissed! I ended up moving down the lake just to get away from him.

SR

That’s funny! And now you know the rest of the story.

Did you try talking to him the entire 20 minutes to reassure him it was an accident?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>
    I was fishing in the early morning well before first light, and snagged the poor thing with a top water Bass Bug and an 8 weight fly rod. After getting the hook out (barbless!) he sat in the water and yelled at me for at least 10 minutes. Then he popped up on the other side of the boat and started in on me again. He was pissed! I ended up moving down the lake just to get away from him.

SR

Did you try talking to him the entire 20 minutes to reassure him it was an accident?

\

No, but I did apologize. Felt bad for the little guy.

SR

GEEMAN
    Fort Atkinson , WI

Many years ago a buddy of mine and his brother hooked a human skull. Long story short, After notifying the authorities, it turned out to be skull from a prehistoric Indian burial that the river had washed out.

As for me, I’ve caught a stack of plastic drinking cups, A flag/arm from a Beaver Dam tipup and a stringer that had a Carp and two Buffalo on it. LOL I also hooked a tackle bag that had a box that had 30 or 40 of those European floats in it. The bag also had a couple of crawdads in it. Hahaha

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I reeled in an unopened beer can once…

Well, did you drink it? I would have to.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I just received a custom Thorne Brothers rod with a Black Betty reel for Christmas. 10 min into fishing with it for the first time, my dead stick caught a pike. I free spooled the 6061 and put the rod on the ice. The pike caught the line of it and with the spool laying on the ice it didn’t free spool. Down the hole it went. 2 hours later I went to take a leak and dropped all my lines to the bottom so I would not lose another rod. My minnow swam around the handle of the reel and I reeled back up my rod. I was happy again

Bassn Dan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mplspug wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>

SR

\

No, but I did apologize. Felt bad for the little guy.

SR

The muskrat I caught swam off with a Texas rigged worm that I was flipping to some weeds and brush and got hooked in the chest. It was nearly dark when I caught it and I thought at first it was a small bass under a pile of coontail, but when I bent down and got a better look I saw the muskrat. He was NOT pleased. I ended up cutting the line because a 4/0 barbed worm hook wasn’t going to come out without me getting bitten.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’ve caught normal stuff like fishing rods, a rope with an anchor attached, rock, clam, line with a lure, etc. I’ve also caught a mud puppy and a water logged pillow.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Caught my own hat right off my head. While baitcasting a spoon for pike up in Canada I felt something smack me hard on the back of the head. For a split second I wondered what the heck was that ’til I saw my hat traveling out into the lake. Didn’t put up much of a fight to bring it back in though. grin

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

My uncle caught this old beer can.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0195.jpg

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

List

(3) Seagulls
    (2) Loons
    (1) Goose
    (1) Landing Net
    (4) Fishing Rods
    (1) Fish basket
    (1) Part of a shot gun
    (3) Pliers
    (10+) Beer cans
    (4) Anchors
    (1) Boot
    (2) shoes… they didn’t match

The best was a hemostat (pliers) that I lost years before out on 7 mile ML. Hooked it and pulled it up. It was discolored but in perfect working order.

Josh Bothum

Best thing I ever witnessed was my dad was dragging a live bait rig and caught a net. Very nice Alumatec one, still my favorite net to date. Could not have been down there for very long. He joked was when he got it to the surface was
    “GET A FISH!!”

Now that’s funny!!

Kyhl
    Savage

A friend caught an ice chisel with a 5′ handle. It had a leather strap on the end that he hooked. Since it was long and he hooked it on one end he thought it really was a fish as it got heavier once lifted off the bottom. It was quite a struggle as he fought it for minutes. We’ve had many laughs since. Every time he hooks something that bends the rod, “is it a chisel?”

I almost snagged a gull. Bobber fishing a flowage with the bail open a gull snagged the line between the bobber and the rod. I was able to real him in before he reached the hook and freed him. He was not happy to be reeled into a boat.

Charlie Vaughan
    On the river

I caught a baby red tail cat out of the croix.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’ve told this story here before, but it’s worth repeating.

I lost a rod over the bow once while netting my fishing partners fish. We tried to snag it but could not get it. We joked about a hooked sheepshead swimming small circles around my rod trying to get away at the bottom of the river.

Several hours later I hooked a sheepshead while trolling in the same area. Noticed a familiar hook in its mouth, and proceeded to pull my hook, line, and rod/reel into the boat that I’d lost several hours before.

I have a witness!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Sleeping bag rolled up in it’s carry bag
    10 Speed bicycle
    Shirts
    A 12′ aluminum boat
    Paddle board
    Anchors
    Shoes
    A drift sock
    Fishing Rods
    a .22 rifle
    socks
    shorts
    cans
    bottles
    Lures and lead weights
    This list goes on and on. The variety in the Croix is great especially around the islands people camp on.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I’ve told this story here before, but it’s worth repeating.

I lost a rod over the bow once while netting my fishing partners fish. We tried to snag it but could not get it. We joked about a hooked sheepshead swimming small circles around my rod trying to get away at the bottom of the river.

Several hours later I hooked a sheepshead while trolling in the same area. Noticed a familiar hook in its mouth, and proceeded to pull my hook, line, and rod/reel into the boat that I’d lost several hours before.

I have a witness!

That’s classic

I’ve had 2 lines out the side of the boat 4 total and had 1 rod snag up and bust off and 1 of the other rods caught the lure that just busted off. This has happened more than once in my boat.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Catfish yanked my pole off the dock while lighted bobber fishing. Hour later, we could see the bobber dancing around two hundred yards out. This guy rose to the challenge.

Attachments:
    1. 216484_503723569812_6983_n.jpg

Jack
    Stillwater, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jack F wrote:</div>

No, looked like it was down there for a while.

Bass_attack

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jack F wrote:</div>

No, looked like it was down there for a while.

Thats fermentation!

Cinder block
    Rock
    Anchor
    Walleye with a foot of mono coming out of his fart box
    Lots of other peoples lures
    A smallie with one side normal other side he had what appeared to be infected road rash up and down one side
    Anybody catch any jewlery or something of a lot of value?

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

OK,
    This still creeps me out:
    Up on Namakan near twin alligators a few years back
    my buddy catches a walleye on a hook and minnow.
    It had been filleted and thrown back
    and was still swimming around.
    It looked like a skeleton.

catmando
    wis

Years ago I was like fishing with a daredevil ,fish hit, I set the hook,fish was lassoed in the neck. Spoon went in a circle caught the line.not one hook in its mouth. True.

Jonesy

3 that I can think of.

1. When I was about 15 I was fishing the chippewa river. Dragged in a cabbage patch doll. I was freaking out because it obviously looked like a baby until I got it up on shore.

2. Catfishing with my friends. On phone with my mom telling her I will be home late. Rod darts into the water. 2 hours later as we are packing up to leave my friend catches my rod (st. croix legend) and the fish was still there. 6 pound catfish.

3. Same friend but adults now. Fishing in my boat pitching a shoreline area for walleyes. He snagged a dead skunk. Wow that smell was awesome.

reefhawgwi
    Hudson WI
    Attachments:
    1. baby-musky1.jpg

Joe Bara

Two fish catches standout. First was a 5lb largemouth bass that had a snell hanging from it’s vent. The snell had been there a long time, algae covered, and hook was still inside the fish. Second was a northern pike around 5/6 lbs that had a plastic six-pack ring around its middle. The fish had grown considerably around the ring and had a good 3/4 inch indentation all around. Snipped it off and relesed the fish. I’m sure someone will catch it and wonder what happened to it. And no it wasn’t caught in an urban waterway but it was caught on Eagle Lake Ontario.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I caught a cowboy boot once. I also lost a rod in one of my favorite spots and caught it a year later to the day. My buddy Clark lost two of my rods and coined the spot the Bay of Lost Rods. Cats are known for yanking rods out of the boat on Mendota. Couple weeks later he caught one but the other is a goner

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

OK,
    This still creeps me out:
    Up on Namakan near twin alligators a few years back
    my buddy catches a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye on a hook and minnow.
    It had been filleted and thrown back
    and was still swimming around.
    It looked like a skeleton.

This thread, fun, funny and the macabre! Good one, the one about the woman’s thong and casting for the mermaid…ha! How does a thong fit on a mermaid? roll Funny though!
    This is creepy for sure…good for Halloween? This is what it was?

Attachments:
    1. Skeleton-Walleye-Decal-_-Fish-Skinz-Apparel.gif

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.