Weed guard for trolling lines?

• spyder357

Anyone know of a good way to keep weeds either off the line or some sort of product to stop them before they get to the lure? Trolling is my favorite walleye method but the weeds have been awful this year so far.

deertracker

Try putting a swivel ahead of the bait and leave the tag ends of the line a little longer. It will give you a little extra time.
    DT

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

If you don’t mind running planer boards, they do a good job of collecting most of the weeds so they can’t travel down to your lure.

CaptainMusky

The above options work for floating weeds. Submerged weeds you are pretty much SOL unless you run over the top of them.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

May sound odd, but I had a buddy out once and he put a small three-way ahead of his crank with a six inch dropper and a bell sinker. It would grab up the weeds sliding down the line and buy him extra time.

I’ve done the split shot and even that will help.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I run a barrel swivel with a bead in front of it and then a 5 foot leader to the bait.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Try putting a swivel ahead of the bait and leave the tag ends of the line a little longer. It will give you a little extra time.
    DT

DT is spot on with this waytogo

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have never tried it but have heard of people taking small surgical tubing and cutting it so it flairs out like a tube jig. Thread it on backwards on the line (flair end towards your rod) and then attaching a ball swivel to hold it up with a 5’ leader.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Team outdoors makes one.

Attachments:
    1. weed-guard.jpg

spyder357

Lots of good ideas here, Tuma I found a company in canada that makes exactly what your talking about, they call em weed whiskers.

I also found another site where people were recommending using clip on weights to catch the weeds as they slide down the line.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

weed whisker

Attachments:
    1. weed20whiskers1.jpg

Kong

I have heard of people cutting up straws at fast food restaurants to make their own “weed whiskers”.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.