Weed Control/Lake Blower/Aqua Blaster/BeachGroomer/HydroSweep

• jtstarvinmarvin
    Woodbury, MN

Does anyone use any lake blower for their pond/lake? How well do they work? Which one do you use? Any brand better than another?

**We get a lot of floating weeds from jetskis, etc and are looking for something to keep them off of our shoreline. Also, would like to keep our weeds down where we swim, etc.

I’ve seen the following brands:

Aqua Blaster/Thruster
    HydroSweep & HydroSweep Pro
    Aqua Sweep
    LakeMaid
    WeedRoller
    BeachGroomer

Thanks!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

I’ve seen them on a few docks, but beware as most sales people won’t tell you about the proper placement and possible need for MnDNR Permits required.

If they are moving any Lake Bottom Material or creating a cloudy area from moving Silt you need a permit.

Heard this in a seminar back in March.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

We had a WeedRoller but sold it after it stuck in the muck too many times. To be far to WeedRoller we have almost knee deep muck near the end of our dock and most likely did not run it enough. Closer to shore it did a great job of clearing the muck out. In our situation I would not buy another WeedRoller but if the muck or weeds near your dock are not as deep as that it should work just fine.

One extra thing to think about, the WeedRoller has holes in it to drain water but it can also fill with muck making the tubes really heavy. This most likely happened because we did not run it enough.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

My wife’s parents years ago used an old Bed Spring, the kind with all the open springs.

They’d set it on their beach and tie a cable to it and pull it around with the little fishing boat. Then carry it back onto the beach and do it again, dragging it out to 5-6 feet and back. Good idea if you can find one.

property was sold, No longer in the family

djshannon
    Crosslake

I have used an Aqua Blaster/Thruster for the last three years. It is mounted to the end of my 24 ft dock. The bottom of the unit is about 18 inches from the bottom and the top is about 6 inches from the surface.

It is installed with a auto-rotator that is set to sweeps about 200 degrees. I run it 24/7 from as soon as the dock is in April/May until mid September and it does a fairly good job of keeping a 20 foot radius circle free of weeds.

I had to help it by initially clearing the larger weeds by hand with a lake rake. I know from experience if you turn it off for a couple weeks the weeds will start to re-appear.

It cost about $1.50 a day to run.

The fish are not particularly fond of the continually moving water.

Would I do this again, yes, but I might buy a little larger unit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.