Duck Hunting Montana Style

• wing_nutt3

Being a student out in Montana I still have to get my fill of ducks in. These greenheads were taken on a floating trip. In the Pacific flyway we can have a limit of 7 ducks and all can be greenheads. A little different then what I am use to back in Mn. Thought I would share with you guys…. Tim

has
    Hudson, WI

Tim,
    Great pic. How the weather out there, looks cold. Nice wether here = Fishing time. I’ll be out in Western MN shooting Pheasants all of Thanksgiving, all the sloughs are frozen so I imagin the ducks past over. At least one of us are getting ducks.

has
    Hudson, WI

Tim,
    Great pic. How the weather out there, looks cold. Nice wether here = Fishing time. I’ll be out in Western MN shooting Pheasants all of Thanksgiving, all the sloughs are frozen so I imagin the ducks past over. At least one of us are getting ducks.

wing_nutt3

I’m in Missoula and it’s been cold , in that pic it was about 20’s I suppose , we floated in ice the whole way. All the backwaters and lakes for the most part are iced up with near an inch. I’ll be home for thanksgiving, but I won’t get to any rooster ,,, I already have too many licenses. Tim

wing_nutt3

I’m in Missoula and it’s been cold , in that pic it was about 20’s I suppose , we floated in ice the whole way. All the backwaters and lakes for the most part are iced up with near an inch. I’ll be home for thanksgiving, but I won’t get to any rooster ,,, I already have too many licenses. Tim

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Thanks for sharing wing_nutt. Love those greenies.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Thanks for sharing wing_nutt. Love those greenies.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thats a cool picture !!

thanks for sharing wing_nutt3

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Thats a cool picture !!

thanks for sharing wing_nutt3

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Nice picture, those are some awesome looking greenheads.
    Are there a lot of people that duck hunt in Montana? I have relatives there and they have never said anything about ducks.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Nice picture, those are some awesome looking greenheads.
    Are there a lot of people that duck hunt in Montana? I have relatives there and they have never said anything about ducks.

wing_nutt3

Since I’m in the western part I don’t run into hardly anyone and if I do we always exchange numbers, always looking for other duck hunters. In the Eastern part it is much like North Dakota’s potholes. They seem to have a little pressure, but not like what I am use too. We made a trip to Plentywood,(north east part) and shot the potholes, we did really well there. We did not see the mallards, but we got Gads,Widgeons, and a few other’s. The pheasant hunting out there is unreal and I mean it, we would go out and get a limit of 3 in a half hour if the spot was right. I have to talked to people from Mn that come out here in Mt to duck hunt, I think it might be the next North Dakota in the Eastern part , once the word get’s out. Tim

wing_nutt3

Since I’m in the western part I don’t run into hardly anyone and if I do we always exchange numbers, always looking for other duck hunters. In the Eastern part it is much like North Dakota’s potholes. They seem to have a little pressure, but not like what I am use too. We made a trip to Plentywood,(north east part) and shot the potholes, we did really well there. We did not see the mallards, but we got Gads,Widgeons, and a few other’s. The pheasant hunting out there is unreal and I mean it, we would go out and get a limit of 3 in a half hour if the spot was right. I have to talked to people from Mn that come out here in Mt to duck hunt, I think it might be the next North Dakota in the Eastern part , once the word get’s out. Tim

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Tim:

About how long does it take to drive from say the Twin Cities to eastern Montana pothole region?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Tim:

About how long does it take to drive from say the Twin Cities to eastern Montana pothole region?

wing_nutt3

Shoot it’s far , There is two way’s out here either 94 and go through the Dakota’s or take I-90 all the way out, but then your a little bit too south. It take’s 19 hours to Missoula, so it takes about 11 hours. I mapped it out from St.Paul to Plentywood. A popular area is the Fort Peck area or the Missouri River is very popular , so is Medicine Lake, that water is awesome . Tim

wing_nutt3

Shoot it’s far , There is two way’s out here either 94 and go through the Dakota’s or take I-90 all the way out, but then your a little bit too south. It take’s 19 hours to Missoula, so it takes about 11 hours. I mapped it out from St.Paul to Plentywood. A popular area is the Fort Peck area or the Missouri River is very popular , so is Medicine Lake, that water is awesome . Tim

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Nice load of ducks. I don’t see any deeks in the raft. Did you guys just float the river or did you use deeks and call them?

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Nice load of ducks. I don’t see any deeks in the raft. Did you guys just float the river or did you use deeks and call them?

Gator Hunter

wing_nutt3

Yeah this trip we floated then would stop and sneek up on them if we could. I would much rather have ducks come into dekes that’s for sure, but for the most part it’s all locked up and it’s such a narrow river. The ducks sit on the river bends or a little side sloughs that have a spring to keep some water open. We came around one bend to jump up I bet over 100 mallards and nothing else. There were even swans sitting in with the Mallards. We also jumped up prolly well over 200 geese in one area. Those ofcourse got up way before we even got close. I am not big into jump shooting , but it was something different. Tim

wing_nutt3

Yeah this trip we floated then would stop and sneek up on them if we could. I would much rather have ducks come into dekes that’s for sure, but for the most part it’s all locked up and it’s such a narrow river. The ducks sit on the river bends or a little side sloughs that have a spring to keep some water open. We came around one bend to jump up I bet over 100 mallards and nothing else. There were even swans sitting in with the Mallards. We also jumped up prolly well over 200 geese in one area. Those ofcourse got up way before we even got close. I am not big into jump shooting , but it was something different. Tim

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.