STEEL SHOT VS STEEL SHOT

• jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

So many variables…. Shot size, shell length, brand, choke, hunting situation etc…. What do you suppose the best all around combo is?? I use mostly 3.5 deuces now, yet 10 years ago we used 2.75 in number 7 shot early in the season most of the time for Teal and Woodies. Small shot works for small fast birds, I hate losing mallards tho! Hate cripples in general. I had bought a Foils choke and went to 3.5″ in hope to have more one shot kills, and maybe that is wrong??? Big difference there 2.75″ vs 3.5″! IDK whats best, I would love to get some feedback on this. Hear what works for you. The other thing is personally I have always used the cheapest steel I can find. Any one use expensive steel? Maybe pattern compare them or experience results first hand?

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I seem to do better with some of the faster loads out there. A buddy gave me a couple boxes of Winchester “Blind Side” last year and was very happy with its performance. I don’t necessarily think it is the shells, it’s how they are coming out of your gun. I will probably be using 3″ 4 shot this weekend. I shoot an o/u and can switch barrels as fast as flipping the safety off. If there are some bigger ducks around my first shot would be a 4 and the second barrel would be a 2. For me speed kills. Really noticed this at the trap range a few years ago. I shot a round with friends and maybe hit 6 or 7. We shot another round and my brother gave me a box of his shells. I hit 23 I think. The shells were a better quality of shell.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I agree “SPEED KILLS”. I also like to use one bigger shot size than I think, just because I really want the one shot kill. I hate crips, so for all ducks I use #2 Kent fasteel, later season ducks and all season geese I use BB shot. I may miss more with a smaller pattern(less shot), but when I hit there is no question, dead bird.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I try to use the faster loads as well. I typically shoot 3.5″ #2 or #1 shot. I mostly use Kent or Winchester and I opt for the shells with speeds of 1500+.

If I am focusing on geese I will bump up to BBs but the same idea….fastest loads I can find.

Fast doesn’t always mean most expensive either which is kinda nice too.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I have not shot these shells, but my buddies in SD are really in love with 3.5″ BBB Black Cloud. This stuff didn’t exist back when I hunted.

It’s nice to know there are some affordable alternatives to the high end stuff out there.

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

Speed kills!!1 Bah ha! I love it. well, you convinced me already. Goona do that. I suppose if a person connects more it would be cheaper in the end to buy faster shells…. I agree w/ 4 shot prolly being the best all around load. Faster Steel, I like that! Thanks Super Do!

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

Ha SPEED KILLS, Sorry hadn’t read your post yet..Makes sense. We all hate Crips too. That was my thought on 3.5 deuces. A few yrs ago I cut open a 3″ 4 shot and it had less shot in it than a 3.5″ 2. Why not shoot the faster shell w/ more and bigger shot? The choke helped also. The tight pattern rocks!!!! As you said either miss or Dump em’! I really hadnt given a great thought to speed. I could see where a person wouldn’t shoot behind as many birds and have better penetration also tho…

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

So, you say you don’t think it is worth the expnsive shells because you can buy 1500 fps + for an affordable price? All you guys mention speed, that says a lot right there. I alwys figure a person would just have to swing a little deeper with slower shot? lol, rational thought anyhow….

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Faster means more energy when hitting the target. More energy will cause more damage like broken bones.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

Day in and day out I flat out shoot more 3″ #2s than anything. I’ve bought the cheapest cases possible, the fastest loads possible, and switched shot sizes out while calling. The single item that I have identified as integrally important to my shooting is my choke. Years ago I switched to a patternmaster and have never looked back. Having a choke or wad design that does not blow through the pattern is important in my opinion. Having a choke/shell combination with a smaller and tighter pattern means more dead birds, less cripples, and cleaner misses. I will admit that I have not had the opportunity to shoot significant quantities of upper end shells. However, I will say that I have killed many birds with many brands, sizes, and speeds. These days I tend to buy a shell that is moderately cheap, on the faster end of the market, and has good shot shape when I cut them open; Federal it has been lately. I usually don’t buy larger shot just for geese any more, a head full of pellets is a head full of pellets (however, if some one bodies shoots it will matter).

1775prov

FWIW

As a former hardcore duck hunter, I aways bought the fastest steel loads on the market. 3.0″ #3’s were aways my choice loads. They killed ducks, and geese, as long as they were decoying.

Pass shooting was the only time i would bump up to 3.5″ BB for geese,I never liked the long range pattern that you GET with BBB.

And Kents when they first came out were my choice loads, I will tell you though I do not like the noise of firing the 3.5 Kent loads.

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

I love DEUCES!!! I like everyone’s response about speed, WACK ‘EM!!!!! but like you say a tight pattern is a major key! Virtually Speed means nothing if pellets dont connect!!!! I love my foils choke in my old bps. If I remember right ??? on average there were 20% more pellets in the zone over standard choke, a considerable amount! My brother and I had compared diff load after diff load. I am going to put a new wad stripper in my new SBE 2 when I pick it up, just Not sure which one yet?

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

Former hardcore duck hunter???? Something about that just doesn’t sound quite right…. Hope you are still able to throw some 3″ #3 ‘s at em!!!

1775prov

Quote:

Former hardcore duck hunter????

I layed the guns down 5 years ago, my old gear is spread out from here to ND. Turned most of it over to the young turks.
    I hope they will be enjoying it this weekend.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.