Christmas Kansas Trip – Long

• nittany_lion

A “quick” summary of our annual trip to Kansas for the holidays:
    ———
    Saturday (12/24): We shot 12 Canada Geese and 8 Specs. 1 of the Specs was banded (July 2007 in the Yukon Territories of Alaska). A phenomenal hunt in a winter wheat field on geese that had not been hunted this year. The 3″ of rain on Thursday limited our spots – we had to hunt out of fence line, but it didn’t matter this day.

Sunday (12/25): 10 more Canada Geese on a different winter wheat field. We set up in a waterway. Took my nephew, as most guys had young kids who couldn’t miss Christmas morning – priorities?

Monday (12/26): 6 of us (plus my 9 year old nephew Nolan) got 11 Canada Geese (5 Cacklers) in the same wheat field we hunted on day 1. Chad shot video with his new camera – awesome!

Tuesday (12/27): Lucas hadn’t been around over the holidays and wanted to kill a duck. Chad and I piled in his truck to head to the Flint Hills NWR. Unfortunately, none of us had been there recently to scout, either water conditions (drought earlier this fall) or birds. We knew which marshes to drive by to make it easy to scout. First one had water but not birds. Second one had water and birds! Wow, did it have birds! We loaded the gear on to our backs and made our 3/4 mile walk. Nobody else was hunting, so we got the exact spot where the birds were landing. We couldn’t keep the birds away. We finished with 14 mallards and 1 beautiful drake pintail. Should have had the last 3 for our 3-man limit, but…..

Wednesday (12/28): The 3 of us went back to the exact same spot. We wanted to make sure that no one beat us to the spot, so we got there at 5 am (shooting time at 7:11). Nobody came until after 6 am. We took the deer cart this time to make carrying decoys and gear a little easier. This marsh is obviously a night roosting spot, as we flushed over 1,000 birds walking in. There was skim ice on the water. After getting set up, we finished with 10 mallards and 1 spoonie. Lucas and I had to be home for lunch, so we quit at 10.

A fairly productive week of hunting! Thanks to everyone who scouted, provided gear (especially the 4-wheelers and trailers), drove, etc! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! To the Kansas gang – see you in September when we start all over again!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

That’s an awesome way to spend the holidays!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.