mississippi ducks

• loshinit420

looking for some info on the river south of prarie ducheine,are there good numbers of birds yet or is it early?

marsh_monster
    Metro

Yeah its starting to pick up finally with larger numbers of migrators. After this weekened we could really tell that the cold has finally started driving them down. The local finicky birds are gone and the migrating uneducated birds are much easier to The area should be good through deer opener and for the next few weeks. Good luck!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I got a buddy that guides down there and it has been a slow year so far. I tried talking to him yesterday, but we kept missing each other’s calls. Been hearing varying reports from there to GB, but overall most are reporting it slow… As Capt. Matt said though “there’s a lot of season left.”

IMHO November to the end of the season is the best time of the year.

Mark

loshinit420

thanks for the tips fellas,i will use the info,was actually asking this question for a friend,myself personally have had a deasant season on my home turf price county ducks and geese were plentiful this season good veriety this year,woodies mallards ringbills redheads/lots of geese too…heres a few pics,enjoy the rest of the season………

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nice pics, you got a good looking pup there.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Marsh monster I am not sure where you are hunting but your time would be better spent in a tree than on the marsh. Have not seen new birds for over 3 weeks.

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

We’ve been doing good near Wabasha!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

If shooting a limit of woodies almost everytime out is good, we are killing it. If you want anything other than woodies, we have sucked balls.

nittany_lion

I am totally with you Moss Boss. Woodies galore and nothing else. I think our crew has only killed 3 other species (Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal, and Mallard) with a total of 8 ducks. This from a marsh that we always shoot gadwalls, wigeons, spoonies, and a couple of divers. Been a disappointing season so far.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I guess it’s all how you look at it. We haven’t even SHOT at an other since Oct. 15th.

But being able to scout little holes in the woods holding hundreds of woodies……Getting there in the morning knowing it’s not if the group is going to get a limit of them, but how long it’s going to take (has yet to be over 30 mins)…..decoying flocks into 5yds…..it’s a pretty cool thing.

In fact I found another hole holding about 80-100 in it last night…the silly little guys just won’t leave. Might have to be another quickie before work tomorrow.

The others will be here eventually…..just a theory, but I figure the longer they don’t show, the more fantastic it will be when the do.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Great job on the woodies to all and think how late in year it is and thankfully they have provided something to an otherwise slow fall.

Agree Jake and it sounds like the dakotas got ducks on the move finally in just the last two days as well…

And yet I heard on WGN9 weather with Tom Skilling that the first major cold to get to Chicago will be in the next 10-14 days, so when it happens, it could be furious provided it gets good ‘n cold!!!

Mark

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

See if I can get some pictures to post up with my advise from Jake. Mine are from a cell camera and not as photogenic as Jake’s.

kris_brantner
    My river

that is funny… i have been getting into the mallardos…

kris_brantner
    My river

that is a SWEET picture tho of all those woodies lined up!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

that is funny… i have been getting into the mallardos…

Kris, you been scouting again haven’t you???

Mark

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

New ducks are here. Shot 13 yesterday morning and 16 this afternoon…

whittsend

Yesterday. Pool 9.

Tens of thousands of cans on the water.

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

Got out this morning before school, limited by 9am. Thousands of new puddle ducks along with divers now in the area. Get out there!

loshinit420

i am not too framiliar with the mississippi river area,where is the pool 9 area,sounds like there are good numbers of ducks there,thanks for the info…

kris_brantner
    My river

heck with that stay home! man i have never seen so many guys on the river before in my life…get out there hours early for a guy to come 20 min before shoot time and down wind you 60 yards… bring on the gun season. maybe then will there only be 15 guys at the landing instead of 20

loshinit420

if theres honey your sure to have a few bears but if you can out call and out shoot the masses then youll be the victor,but you still didnt answer the question,where abouts is pool 9 on the map?

loshinit420

looked all over the wis gazetter/couldnt find it/perhaps im looking in the wrong state,i thought this is why you dum***** sit in front of the computer,helpful tips,but i guess im done here…….

codycroteau
    La Crosse, WI

south of lacrosse wisconsin is pool 9 area. DNR website will help with their map

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Anyone do well over the weekend? Did real well middle of last week, but was pretty medicore by Friday for me.

kris_brantner
    My river

yes but people that use the internet for scouting instead of actualy going are people that urine me off. moss, same here, this weekend sucked. killed limits of green almost every day last weekend. friday sat sun mon. stayed home tue and wed had an ok shoot. went by my self thur and fri had had 6 ducks thur and 4 mal fri within 10 min of shooting time. had a couple guys came with we could have done really well. sat sun and today wasnt good. hunted 2 of us all weekend and shot half limits each day with hardly seeing any birds. we need a giant cold snap. the 10 day forcast hardly tickles freezing lows. may be a lame end to the season if something dosent happen soon

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

yes but people that use the internet for scouting instead of actualy going are people that urine me off. moss, same here, this weekend sucked. killed limits of green almost every day last weekend. friday sat sun mon. stayed home tue and wed had an ok shoot. went by my self thur and fri had had 6 ducks thur and 4 mal fri within 10 min of shooting time. had a couple guys came with we could have done really well. sat sun and today wasnt good. hunted 2 of us all weekend and shot half limits each day with hardly seeing any birds. we need a giant cold snap. the 10 day forcast hardly tickles freezing lows. may be a lame end to the season if something dosent happen soon

Kris,

It may upset you that folks use the internet to scout, but it is 2011. The internet is a tool many of us use for many reasons. The whole point of a site like IDO is to share info and stories. If it really upsets you, please just avoid replying to those posts.

Thanks!

Kooty

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.