Goose Loads?

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’m going Goose hunting next Sunday. Its been awhile since I’ve chased any waterfowl. What do you recommend for ammo? I’m shooting a 3.5″ Reminington 870. Also what load for field hunting ducks as well? Can you also recommend which choke I need?
    Thanks

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Recommended load for early geese is no less than a #2 shot. Id prolly go the next size up though. Ive been using 2’s and Id swear theyre bouncing off them. Good Luck

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

# 2’s in close over deeks, #1 or BB’s if passing shots 30 to 45 yards. Mod, or Mod Full, or Full. Go pattern your chokes and use the best patterning choke period! Every shot gun has it’s quirks….You may find a choke that patterns great with 2’s aint worth crap when shooting #1 or BB’s… Good luck.

Have a friend whose been out for the early goose season and he and his dad have had great luck so far….

ryan86
    Ellsworth WI

I shoot winchesters BB’s in a 3 1/2 inch or rem hyper velocity rounds which are new last year those are 3 inch BB’s both pattern well in my gun. I would buy a couple diffrent boxs and test them. but if you dont have time go middle of the road on price and go from there. i have bought expensive rounds and not had very good luck with them. Best of luck with your choice, we have been out everyday and had great luck so far.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I have had good luck on geese with 3.5″ 1s and BBs.
    I use a modified choke in my extrema.

If they are going to be in close 1s are plenty good, if they are spooky and your shots will be a little longer as mentioned above….go with the BBs.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

3 inch 00 buck

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

I’m going Goose hunting next Sunday. Its been awhile since I’ve chased any waterfowl. What do you recommend for ammo? I’m shooting a 3.5″ Reminington 870. Also what load for field hunting ducks as well? Can you also recommend which choke I need?
    Thanks

I have used full and modified and both have given me good results.

Geese I would go 3 1/2″ BB
    Ducks I would go 3 or 3 1/2″ #2

kris_brantner
    My river

for steel i dont think you can come across a better load than a 3.5 winchester supreme. i shoot number 2s no matter what im hunting from teal to late season honkers. i shoot a pattermaster also in the extended range. i think bbs are ok for geese but a little over kill for ducks. number 2s are defnitally my fav all around load

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i shoot 3 inch, 1 1/4 oz BB, through a mod or improved mod choke, all year long, for everything.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.