AR Duck Hunts – Long

• nittany_lion

I finally was able to do an Arkansas timber duck hunt!

Here is a quick summary and some pictures of our 3 day hunt over the weekend to close out the 2010 hunting season.

We hunted a public area. I like their rules for these management areas – you can only hunt until noon, you can only take in 15 shells, and you can only launch your boat after 4:30 am. We were checked by the wardens on our way in the first day. He was writing a different group a ticket (it looked like too many shells, no life jackets, no boat registration, no plug……) – ouch!

Day 1 morning – We finished with 44 mallards, all shot as they worked their way down through the trees. Absolutely phenomenal! This total matched our season total for Wisconsin, that’s how putrid we did in WI this year! Weather was great (40 warming to 55 with blue skies). Hard to believe how good the 3 callers we had with us are at convincing those mallards to drop to the water. It was nice to be able to walk on hard bottom (versus our mud in the WI marsh). You just had to be careful about tree limbs that had fallen in last years ice storm.

Day 2 morning – We finished with 26 mallards. We had a flock of ~ 150 on the water after crashing their way through the trees about 10 minutes before shooting time. I filmed it, but it was too dark to turn out. One of the coolest things I have ever seen in my life! I had 2 drakes land within 5 feet of the tree I was hiding behind! Weather was even better (45 warming to 65 with bright blue skies).

Day 3 morning – the locals we were hunting with were tired of the “sky busters” and the many groups that were fairly close to us on Saturday (I didn’t think either were that bad), so we went to a different area of the public land we were hunting. This was a walk-in area (first 2 days we boated and then walked). We managed 3 mallards and 3 woodies. We moved 4 times trying to find the right spot. No pictures, as I went super light since we were walking.

Hard to believe the season is over.

Already looking forward to our September Kansas dove hunt to kick-off the 2011 hunting season!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

44 mallards before noon on the 1st day – Looks like a blast…thanks for sharing the story and great pictures!

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/SJU

sounds like an amazing hunt and it is for sure something that i want to do someday….

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve always wanted to do a quality timber hunt! Congrats on your succesful trip and I love the pictures!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.