Boat blind recommendations?

• cdn
    West Central, MN

This winter I finally picked up a boat that I always wanted and needed…a 1448 Alumacraft modified V. Now, I need to get a good boat blind for it.

I’ve had my eye on mostly Beavertail blinds, and I’m interested to see what everyone else uses.

Before anyone recommends building my own, it’s not going to happen. I’ve been there/done that and I want something that is easily removeable, lightweight and easy to store.

I’m mostly curious what people think of different styles like the flip over models compared to the blinds that kinda bi-fold together in the center. Opinions?

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

kick the bad habit before you even start. unless you absolutely have to hunt out of a boat, i would not even waste my money on a blind. it is so much more effective hunting right from shore in natural cover.

just my $.02

lars
    Rochester, MN

Ditto.

I have a better than average boat blind and the only reason I have it is incase I HAVE to hunt from the boat. The shore and natural cover will win every time.

aitkinguy

i agree to a point about on shore or high ground but i also think their is a time and a place for boat blinds i use mine about 50% of the time and its worth it when i do use it i would look if your going to buy one buy a good one like a mud buddy shaggy blind a couple guys that i hunt with have them and they are really nice worth every penny

lars
    Rochester, MN

Well then here’s what I’ve got: I have an Avery pop-up blind that I refurnished to my own liking. Took off their own netting and zip-tied some Tangle-Free reeds to the canvas and to the flip-down wings that cover the center.

I like the Avery to an extent. It is generally easy to deploy and take down, but it’s kind of bunk to ride with, corners can be trouble some. It is also recommended that you do not drive with it up, not that I would, but for chasing a cripple would be nice. I tried it once and it is a good idea to take it back down.

One thing is, after it is up, there is more room in the boat than any other blind I’ve been in.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

This is what I run and I love it
    http://www.popupblind.com/boatblinds.html
    Keep in mind though, I focus heavily on big water, off-shore diver hunting.
    Mine is mounted on a Alumacraft Lunker with an Etec 50 HP.
    Works great for what we do
    Good luck
    cheers

cdn
    West Central, MN

My question wasn’t if I needed a blind or not…I think 25 years of waterfowling I know there is a time and place for a boat blind. I’d say 80% of the lakes I hunt in my area you need one for full concealment, there is no shore to hide in, all boggy habitat/floating cattails.

It’s time for a comfortable blind set-up I plan to customize.

Thanks for the comments on blinds, keep them coming. I have time to consider it all.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Here are a few representations of the Pop-Up blinds that we use.
    #1 I can easily hunt three guys in this rig.
    #2 Stable shooting platform and a great view!
    #3 Just about to start breaking ice. This is how the blind is stowed for going down the highway.
    #4 Going to pick up dead birds. this is partially knocked down.
    #5 Dockside the night before an opener
    Yes, I do duck hunt out of a white boat
    This blind attaches with four set screws to the gunnel. set up and knockdown take all of 1-2 minutes. It is windproof and waterproof. it does not flap arround in the wind. Add the Mr. Heater and youre hunting in style.
    Don’t forget the single burner and coffee pot.
    Good luck
    cheers

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Good looking setup drakesdemise! Thanks for sharing!

cdn
    West Central, MN

Nice set up! Who needs a camo painted boat..

I see you hunt the same waters I frequent by the looks of that public access. Here’s a pic of my old duck boat at that same place, really late season. The only advantage to a really lightweight rig….can drag on the ice.

drakesdemise

You’re probably younger and in better shape than I am
    I have learned alot of things over the past several years, when hunting the late season, nasty weather divers…
    We make every attempt to never get out of the boat, unless it is on land
    Cheers

cdn
    West Central, MN

Now that we are almost a month from the start of my favorite season , I’ve finally picked up a blind that is going to work wonders for my needs. 1600 Series Beavertail blind with lots of Ghillie grass mats and Ghillie bundles to mix in. I assembled the blind on the boat, and within a few seconds I can take it off if I don’t need it. A great system if I decide to go fishing and want it completely out of the way. In the next couple weeks I’ll continue to set this blind up, and get the grasses situated in the vegitation straps.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Looks like you have an awesome setup!!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Looking good CDN!

cdn
    West Central, MN

Thanks.
    It’s been fun tinkering with this set-up in my free time. So far I’m thoroughly impressed with this blind and how easy it flips over and out of the way. It will make setting up decoy spreads and retrievals much less hassle.

cdn
    West Central, MN

Finished product that brought some excellent success in the extremely shallow muddy cattail bogs we hunted on opener.

Ghillie grass is extremely light and affixed to the blind. Flip over and hunt. Birds never knew what hit ’em.

chevytrucks
    sothern, MN

Ya i just got a duck boat also and i am planning on making a blind for it myself this spring. And it will look a lot like yours. looks nice!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.