good duck decoys!?

• predator_2

What are you guys using? I got a bunch of Avery GHG mallards that look 20 years old cause the paint peels off just looking at them.
    Colors look great right out of the box. but paint is crap!!!!
    So what do ya think the best decoy for the money is?

kris_brantner
    My river

up untill 6 or 7 years ago, g and h were the top dog as far as decoys. they arent the prettiest, but they do last. i run pretty much all avery now, and have only had minimal problems with the paint. no decoy is going to keep 100 percent of its paint, i dont care what kind it is, and the paint that i ahve lost on my ghg isnt enough to make me want to switch back to g&h. i still have a bunch that i like to use for walk in hunting because they are alot ligher than the ghg. thats about the only thing i dont like about ghg is how heavy they are. makes it pretty tough on a guy to lug a couple dozen to the spots i hunt. sometimes its a couple of miles

predator_2

I must of got a bad batch. I bought 6 dozen 4 years ago and the ones i am usin now have minnimal use compared to the amount of wear. I still have a dozen new in the box. The green on the green heads is the worst.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

I think there was a paint problem with Avery GHG when they first came out–but we run all GHG now and love them. Even use their goose and mallard full bodies

–Whitey

kris_brantner
    My river

i did get a bad batch now that i think about it. not with the paint, but with the bottom of the decoy cracking where the front of the keel slid up to. avery sent me a new batch and they are still good. the new ones with the fixed keels you can tell are way better quality.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Using a 12 pouch decoy bag helps a lot too!

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Honestly we use ours hard. They are kept in regular decoy bags, we toss, throw and kick them around working fast to get them set–they are holding up GREAT!

–Whitey

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Quote:

Honestly we use ours hard. They are kept in regular decoy bags, we toss, throw and kick them around working fast to get them set–they are holding up GREAT!

Same here.
    –Whitey

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Avery/GHG did have problems with paint that was not compatible with plastic. oops
    For plastic dekes, my favorite are still G&H because of the depth/relief of the feathers in the mold. the high spots will always loose paint, but the recessed areas hold well and seem to look good for longer.
    I hunt from a 17′ V and all of my dekes get piled up front without bagging. For this reason, I’m slowly converting everything over to cork and armored foam blocks. I do not care about weight, just durability and appearance.
    Oh yeah, and due to the fact that we hunt a lot of divers, the decoys are frequently peppered with pellets.
    All plastic decoys suck after some abuse , especially Black cloud #2.
    Supposedly new dekes and repainted dekes can be preserved by spraying with upto 4 coats of matte finish Krylon clear coat. have not tried it yet.
    Good luck.
    cheers

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Guide series from Cabelas are great and have the removeable keels. My second choice are the Higdon foam filled Mags. Third choice are the Herter supreme burlaps heavy but very durable. Ive had some of these for 6-7 years now and they still look great.

predator_2

thanks for the tips. Im gonna nurse my mallards through this season. I have cherry picked the best 2 dozen for the final half of the season. i plan on doin a bunch of diver huntin the next 4 days with maybe one puddler hunt mixed in. all i been doin is mostly mallard huntin. Time to shoot some cans and bills. Later

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.