A Great Dog

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I thought a few of you would enjoy a short tribute I wrote for my old buddy Geranimo.I had to put him down in March of 2002.Here it is.
    I had to put my old buddy down last week.He was a 12 year old cocker spaniel named Geranimo,Jerry for short.He did alot of things with the family.Jerry loved to go out in the boat in the summer,go ice fishing,and even did a little duck hunting.Now he didn’t have the style of my setter,or the drive of my golden retriever,but every year we would get him out duck hunting a few times.He was a good little water dog and retrieved ducks like he was a champion.We always had to understand that he would be a little slower retrieving but it was really fun watching that little cocker work.One year he had close to 30 water retrieves,a triple,and a few doubles.My brother-in-law shot his first ducks over Jerry and had a great time.I new his health was getting bad so I thought he would love to get out a last time.We shot a few mallards for him that day and he found a cripple along the shore.To see that old dog swim out and pick those last few ducks up he would ever pick up, it was very hard to think that this was it.I know alot of you have lost great dogs just like Jerry and it’s a tough decision to put a great dog down.If any of you have a old dog around make sure you enjoy his last days as you will miss them very much when there gone.
    It’s been a year and a half since I wrote that little tribute.And I still miss Jerry everyday.I wish all of you the best of times with your older dogs.
    Ryan Hale

med
    Austin, MN

Awesome story Ryan!!!!!!!! I have a 4 year springer spanial and do’nt know what I’d do with out him. He is my best friend. thanks for story.

MED

med
    Austin, MN

Awesome story Ryan!!!!!!!! I have a 4 year springer spanial and do’nt know what I’d do with out him. He is my best friend. thanks for story.

MED

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Your right Ryan, we’ve all been there. I had an awesome yellow lab, George, that was run over the week before duck opener. It was a tough season that year.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Your right Ryan, we’ve all been there. I had an awesome yellow lab, George, that was run over the week before duck opener. It was a tough season that year.

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Ryan it is one of the worst things to do—let that friend go. I have had to do it 3 times. But as I type this, I have a new friend at my feet right now. Jessie, my 4 month old black lab. WIll get her out with me a few times this year, but expectation is seeing her with the sights and sounds of the marsh. Good hunting to all John

john_r
    LaCrosse Wi

Ryan it is one of the worst things to do—let that friend go. I have had to do it 3 times. But as I type this, I have a new friend at my feet right now. Jessie, my 4 month old black lab. WIll get her out with me a few times this year, but expectation is seeing her with the sights and sounds of the marsh. Good hunting to all John

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Ryan,
    Abby is my first hunting dog, she is 7 now I am not looking forward to the day that I have to deal with this. I have had several dogs that were family pets as a kid growing up, it is never easy to say good bye to our best friends. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us not to take them for granted

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Ryan,
    Abby is my first hunting dog, she is 7 now I am not looking forward to the day that I have to deal with this. I have had several dogs that were family pets as a kid growing up, it is never easy to say good bye to our best friends. Thank you for sharing your story and reminding us not to take them for granted

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Ryan, 9years ago I had to put down my black lab Buddy after he defended our house from a juvinile trespasser.My ins. co wouldn’t pay the 32,000.00 medical bill untill they got a vet signed death cert. I still feel like I let him down and miss him to this day.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Ryan, 9years ago I had to put down my black lab Buddy after he defended our house from a juvinile trespasser.My ins. co wouldn’t pay the 32,000.00 medical bill untill they got a vet signed death cert. I still feel like I let him down and miss him to this day.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.