Noon Opener

• Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Does everybody usually go out on Saturday at noon or do you just wait untill Sunday morning? Do you set up any differently for the noon opener than a regular morning hunt?

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

i don’t know about anybody else, but going out saturday has become tradition for a group of us guys, head out early in the morning and grill out and just wait for noon to roll around. now we are camping out the night before. It is just one great time. weel worth the whole day in the swamp.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

i don’t know about anybody else, but going out saturday has become tradition for a group of us guys, head out early in the morning and grill out and just wait for noon to roll around. now we are camping out the night before. It is just one great time. weel worth the whole day in the swamp.

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Going on the opening day is the best part, because you can get out there early enough that you and your buddies can bull [censored] around alittle and it gives you enough time to make last secound changes to your blind or decoys. The only way we hunt different is we will pass shot alot more then try to call them in to the decoys. On opening day the ducks are always every where trying to figure out what’s going on!

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Going on the opening day is the best part, because you can get out there early enough that you and your buddies can bull [censored] around alittle and it gives you enough time to make last secound changes to your blind or decoys. The only way we hunt different is we will pass shot alot more then try to call them in to the decoys. On opening day the ducks are always every where trying to figure out what’s going on!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Can someone explain why Minnesota has a noon opener for duck season, but the very next day it starts at day-break?

Thanks!!

kooty
    Keymaster

Can someone explain why Minnesota has a noon opener for duck season, but the very next day it starts at day-break?

Thanks!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Well, this has been debated in the past in Wisconsin. The two things I have heard are 1) safety and 2) saves on the ducks for the first flight in the morning.

I myself believe it is about 90% based on #2 above. I mean, everyone manages to safely make it out every other day of the duck season in the morning, and I actually think it is easier to see if a spot is occupied at night with lights. Some years, I absolutely hate the noon opener. Nothing like spending 6 hours in the rain waiting for the season to open if it happens to be wet out.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Well, this has been debated in the past in Wisconsin. The two things I have heard are 1) safety and 2) saves on the ducks for the first flight in the morning.

I myself believe it is about 90% based on #2 above. I mean, everyone manages to safely make it out every other day of the duck season in the morning, and I actually think it is easier to see if a spot is occupied at night with lights. Some years, I absolutely hate the noon opener. Nothing like spending 6 hours in the rain waiting for the season to open if it happens to be wet out.

kooty
    Keymaster

I don’t understand it at all. What’s the difference if you shoot the ducks right away in the morning the first day or for the rest of the season. In my opinion, they should open the season on Friday at noon or wait until Sunday morning to open it. If anyone has statistics that the DNR uses to justify this rule, please share. I’d like to understand this. How long has MN been doing this?

kooty
    Keymaster

I don’t understand it at all. What’s the difference if you shoot the ducks right away in the morning the first day or for the rest of the season. In my opinion, they should open the season on Friday at noon or wait until Sunday morning to open it. If anyone has statistics that the DNR uses to justify this rule, please share. I’d like to understand this. How long has MN been doing this?

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i think it has something to do with the number of people that go out on opening day. if they opened it 1/2hr before sunrise like normal, there would be a huge jam up at the landings with everyone wanting to go out at the same time. then people are racing to the best spots in the dark and it just makes for a bad situation. by not opening it until noon it cuts down on the caos at the landing in the mornings .

i would defintaly be in favor of the 9:00 opener that they were proposing this year. there seemed to be a lot of support for it. I bet that it’ll pass in the next couple of years .

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i think it has something to do with the number of people that go out on opening day. if they opened it 1/2hr before sunrise like normal, there would be a huge jam up at the landings with everyone wanting to go out at the same time. then people are racing to the best spots in the dark and it just makes for a bad situation. by not opening it until noon it cuts down on the caos at the landing in the mornings .

i would defintaly be in favor of the 9:00 opener that they were proposing this year. there seemed to be a lot of support for it. I bet that it’ll pass in the next couple of years .

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Interesting Jake. I would be in full support of 9 am.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Interesting Jake. I would be in full support of 9 am.

kooty
    Keymaster

I can appreciate the chaos issue, but what makes Saturday any different than Sunday morning?? Just playing devils advocate.

kooty
    Keymaster

I can appreciate the chaos issue, but what makes Saturday any different than Sunday morning?? Just playing devils advocate.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I will play the other devil’s position too, since I don’t like the noon opener.

I think you will actually see a few less people out the 2nd day than the first. Also, with a day of hunting under their belts, some people have a little less spunk to get up real early and get out and push for a spot.

I have to admit though, there is probably not very much difference between the two days.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I will play the other devil’s position too, since I don’t like the noon opener.

I think you will actually see a few less people out the 2nd day than the first. Also, with a day of hunting under their belts, some people have a little less spunk to get up real early and get out and push for a spot.

I have to admit though, there is probably not very much difference between the two days.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

As for the noon opener, I was under the impression it’s to allow those people that can’t get out at the crack of dawn opening day an equal opportunity to hunt ducks. I really don’t care for the opening season. I like to duck hunt when the weather is at it’s worst. Those 5mil neoprenes keep me nice and warm. Bring on that heavy wet snow with a steady and not too stiff wind.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

As for the noon opener, I was under the impression it’s to allow those people that can’t get out at the crack of dawn opening day an equal opportunity to hunt ducks. I really don’t care for the opening season. I like to duck hunt when the weather is at it’s worst. Those 5mil neoprenes keep me nice and warm. Bring on that heavy wet snow with a steady and not too stiff wind.

kooty
    Keymaster

From a common sense standpoint, this rule just doesn’t seem to have any. I’m a weekend warrior when it comes to the outdoors, as most of us are. It stinks we have to lose half a day of hunting. If this rule has anything to do with the conservation of the duck population, then I’m all for it.

I do have to share a story that taught me a lot about duck hunting. One morning about 4 years ago, my two buddies from high school and I planned an early morning hunt. Well, we were/are still into the nightlife/adult beverage consumption. As you all know, this has a tendency to slow an individual when it comes to early morning wake ups. James gets up, heads outside thinking we would be up waiting for him. He sees both vehicles in the driveway yet, but decides to get something to eat, so he heads for the convenience store. Jeff gets up and sees one of the vehicles is gone, starts cussing thinking we left him. About this time James shows back up. Jeff needs some food now so they both take off. Shortly after, I wake up and head outside to find those son of guns left without me. I’m packing the truck, not realizing Jeff’s dog was still there, cursing them both. Of course they pulled back in driveway and could read the look on my face.

We got a good laugh out of each other and decided to get loaded up and head for the lake. It’s about 10:00 am at this point. By the time we got our gear on and decoy bags in tow, I’m sure it was around the 11am mark. We shot one large goose as we walked into our spot. I’m guessing it was shortly after noon by the time we had decoys out and were able to catch our breath.

We proceeded ot have non-stop action for the next several hours. We ended our day with multiple species of ducks and two big canadian geese. All this on a blue bird day.

My piont in this very long winded story, I know you can have great shoots at mid-day.

kooty
    Keymaster

From a common sense standpoint, this rule just doesn’t seem to have any. I’m a weekend warrior when it comes to the outdoors, as most of us are. It stinks we have to lose half a day of hunting. If this rule has anything to do with the conservation of the duck population, then I’m all for it.

I do have to share a story that taught me a lot about duck hunting. One morning about 4 years ago, my two buddies from high school and I planned an early morning hunt. Well, we were/are still into the nightlife/adult beverage consumption. As you all know, this has a tendency to slow an individual when it comes to early morning wake ups. James gets up, heads outside thinking we would be up waiting for him. He sees both vehicles in the driveway yet, but decides to get something to eat, so he heads for the convenience store. Jeff gets up and sees one of the vehicles is gone, starts cussing thinking we left him. About this time James shows back up. Jeff needs some food now so they both take off. Shortly after, I wake up and head outside to find those son of guns left without me. I’m packing the truck, not realizing Jeff’s dog was still there, cursing them both. Of course they pulled back in driveway and could read the look on my face.

We got a good laugh out of each other and decided to get loaded up and head for the lake. It’s about 10:00 am at this point. By the time we got our gear on and decoy bags in tow, I’m sure it was around the 11am mark. We shot one large goose as we walked into our spot. I’m guessing it was shortly after noon by the time we had decoys out and were able to catch our breath.

We proceeded ot have non-stop action for the next several hours. We ended our day with multiple species of ducks and two big canadian geese. All this on a blue bird day.

My piont in this very long winded story, I know you can have great shoots at mid-day.

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Guys you also are saying all of this because you just can’t wait untill you shoot you first duck of the season. I personaly don’t like having to go out at noon too, but I’ve just have taken it for what it is and use it to my advatange and get the last minute things done. But I really agree with the 9 AM thing too!

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Guys you also are saying all of this because you just can’t wait untill you shoot you first duck of the season. I personaly don’t like having to go out at noon too, but I’ve just have taken it for what it is and use it to my advatange and get the last minute things done. But I really agree with the 9 AM thing too!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Thing is, if you want to get your spot, you are STILL going out in the dark around here. TOOOOOO crowded on opener, and 6 hours is boring.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Thing is, if you want to get your spot, you are STILL going out in the dark around here. TOOOOOO crowded on opener, and 6 hours is boring.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

we have found a way to live with it we go out with our group and grill out and we can stand it just fine. talk with each other, make it a whole day it is a blast.

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

we have found a way to live with it we go out with our group and grill out and we can stand it just fine. talk with each other, make it a whole day it is a blast.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

We walk in for about a 1’2 mile, so the grill idea is pretty tough, as is any kind of chair to carry in.

It ain’t bad if the weather is OK. But sitting in the rain all that time blows.

I’ll still be out there, I just like to complain!!

Plus, I would like 9 am better. Then we could sit and shoot the bull AND blast Daffy if he flies in!!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.