Banded bird stories ? Got one?

• jasonjabe
    La Crosse/St. Charles

I see mine was also banded by Richard Kahl.From the
    Science operations center.

dcolsen
    Linwood, MN

Quote:

I haven’t found what the two bands mean. Did you hear anything about that when you called in the bands?

I might be mistaken but I thought double banded birds usually carried a $100 reward.

kris_brantner
    My river

usually they do. i have heard of when they recapture an old bird with a worn out band they put another one on or replace it.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

I have been fortunate enough to kill bands from geese, mallard and woodduck. My furthest goose was banded in Hudson Bay and harvested in central Illinois. Furthest mallard was banded in Pennsylvania and recovered in Wisconsin. To me, it is a feeling liking taking a big buck or finding a shed…they are few and far between.

waterfowler99
    Midwest

My best memory is that I have been able to take part in banding sessions. Attaching the feeling of joy to the leg of a bird that will be a new band story to be told over and over for years to come. My favorite session to date was being able to have my daughters participate.
    This day we captured 425 geese at 2 seperate locations
    (pic 1)
    My oldest holding her first goose
    (pic 2)
    My youngest watching the action
    (pic 3)
    After the band is installed, the release back to the river
    (pic 4)

jasonjabe
    La Crosse/St. Charles

Quote:

usually they do. i have heard of when they recapture an old bird with a worn out band they put another one on or replace it.

The bird I shot was a yearling. Both bands were like new.

kris_brantner
    My river

and they were both 1 800 bands?

jasonjabe
    La Crosse/St. Charles

yes

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Cool pics. How do you get the opportunity to help band birds? Is there somewhere you can call?

kris_brantner
    My river

i got me another one this morning been goin out the last couple mornings by my self. shot my 4 mallards the day before by 645 and got my 4 mallards and a gadwall today by about 635. no one else to claim the dang bird when you are alone! i got so far that it was banded in 2006 in minnesota

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Good shoot’in there KB ~ another Band. Congrats! Looks like your Lab wants a gad’ for lunch. You probably owe ‘er one

I was out with a great friend Sunday afternoon, and things were looking good until a boat load of skybusters show’d up. Would not lay off the call, set up like 80 yards from us…shot at everything Prior to them showing up, we had a gadwall and a nice big Mallard…For all the shooting we saw them do, they only had 2 ducks as well. When we had ducks wanting to work our set, they’d blast on the call and knock our birds off course. Not very considerate! Geez, for the price of shells maybe they’re wealthy and don’t care, but sure was obnoxious went the shot started to rain down on us…..

kris_brantner
    My river

thats what i like about hunting during the week. no weekend warriors out there! wait untill it gets too cold, or when the gun deer season starts, and you can shoot all the ducks you want. i have no respect for people that hunt public land, that get there 20 min before shooting time, to find that there arent any available spots left. so they budge in between you and someone else that were too close to begin with anyways!

kris_brantner
    My river

jason, did they happen to look like they are two different materials? i have seen on a few other forums, that people have been shooting dbl bands, they are both 1800, but made of different types of metal. i gues they are doing a study to see which one holds up longer from what i hear. i think alot of the alum bands wear down too fast. have heard of a few guys that had to send them in to get acid tested to read the numbers.

jasonjabe
    La Crosse/St. Charles

They look very similar and sound the same when you drop them…they are both alum. I’m guessing.

mudcatkid
    On water

For what its worth: The annodized reward bands used for recovery rate estimates on mallards are generally weaker than the standard 1800 USFWS bands, for whatever reason. They are similar aluminum, but must be of a different grade I pressume. They generally fall off or wear down before the standard USFWS band. This is just what I have noticed.

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.