Guide suggestions

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I think mine are like that. I could break one out tonight and see if they are supposed to perform that way.

I wonder if a buzzbait will work in the snow….

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Blue!

I thought my bait casters were like that too, but I could not remember. I have only 2 Abu Garcias for Hucking baits that I do not use that often.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Some bait casting reels move the line guide when you cast…some don’t.

I am guessing if the gears are moving to slide the line guide back and forth it would create friction cutting your casting distance down some….that is probably why so many don’t allow the line guide to move.

I have a couple olde Abus that the guide moves on but the low profile reels I use for bottom bouncers don’t.

JB

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

What size reel?

Usually on bigger reels, the levelwind moves when you cast, but not all the time.

The levelwinds on my Shimano Curados stay put when I cast, but on my Abu 6500C3s and Pflueger Trion 66, they move when I cast.

If it’s functioning correctly otherwise, I would assume that is the way it’s supposed to work.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

From a guy who uses and owns a few Abus.

Some of the reels have the level wind disengage when they cast because it takes a significant amount of energy to do this and it makes for shorter casts, think more drag.

Some of the reels have the level wind stop moving during casting and some don’t. I have both, and for what I use them for it does not matter. If a guy was fishing Muskies or something that required a bunch of casting, it may make a bigger deal.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If it were designed to move on the cast and stopped working, it would “chatter” over the worm gear when you cast. You would definately know there were a problem.

-J.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Thanks Guys!

honest_john
    Twin Cities, Minn.

I have that reel and that is how it works. By the way, I like that reel a lot.

JF

birddog
    Mn.

My Morrum 5600C is that way as well. My other abu’s the line guide moves with the cast. I like them that way, seems like my newer abu’s cast much smoother and further. Maybe my Morrum just needs to be sent in for a overhaul? I know a bunch of guys like the Morrums and claim they cast a country mile, mine doesn’t, but is super smooth on the retrieve? Any thoughts on this guys, does it just need a cleaning and some hot sauce or send her in?

BIRDDOG

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I’d send it in for a cleaning. Or find someone who’s good at cleaning reels and have them do it.

All 4 of my Morrums cast forever.

backlash
    Owatonna MN

I have nine ambasadors and none of them move when free spooling.

birddog
    Mn.

After giving this some thought not only while using the reel but since this thread, I pulled my morrum out for a once over last night…a few thoughts. When the line guide stops after the retrieve, say it stops as far right as it goes, during the cast when the line starts to come off the the left side of the spool it does not come off nearly as smooth as when the line is coming off directly in line with the guide. The line comes off at quite an angle for much of the cast. Same if the guide is all the way to the left, line pulling off the right of the spool. During the season this “problem” was magnified when running a hard pulling bait. This made me think the combination of the hard pulling bait causing the line to “dig” a bit into the spool and the line guide being at such an angle, the line doesn’t come off as smooth.

SO being the fanatic/perfectionist I am …I went out side a few minutes ago and made a few casts with a bulldog ! Yes, in the 8 degree weather I was out there! Didn’t measure the cast, not bad distance, not great. Came back in the house, pulled the line guide off(just a test), I wanted to see if the angle that line is coming off is the culprit, went back out with the same bulldog. HOLY CRAP! I had to stop my cast or that bulldog was going to cross County road 12, if I would have let it go I surely would have hit a car!! So I went back to the field, the casting distance is GREATLY improved, night and day difference. This is proof enough for me that my culprit is the the lack of a moving line guide. I’m sure, that along with 80lb cord and hard pulling baits all magnify the “problem”. Well, it’ll make a overpriced trolling reel! Or, a BB reel, at least it has the clicker for that…on second thought maybe ebay…they go for a premium.

BIRDDOG

shaley
    Milford IA

Thats 1 reason I run Shimanos their line giude traveles with the line on a cast. We do have 1 morrum in the boat when its not in the shop. But it only gets used sparingly.

I’m on year 2 on my pair of Corvalus, year 3 or 4 on my old Corsair. I wish they still made those. I do troll with an Abu, but I got it cheap.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Hey guys, my buddy and I are thinking of hunting with a gudie this fall in the WI/IA area that hunts the Mississippi. Anybody know of a good one?

–Whitey

adamgdunn
    Iowa

If you would want to hunt a little further west, I’ll take you out on the Des Moines RV in Central IA.

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Never hunted their either. The last couple years we have hunted in North Dakota once or twice but it is not going to work out this year. We are just looking for some other options.

–Whitey

xrayman
    iowa

Whitey check out the guys around Rochester.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.