My first solo goose!!

• Fishbone4
    Norwood, Minnesota

Last weekend John and I went field hunting for geese. It wasn’t my first field hunt, but it was the first one that we actually saw a goose on, so I guess that makes it an inaugural hunt of sorts.

So, I’m in my blind, pretty comfortable, and John breaks a goose off this flock, and it comes in just beautifully – set to land directly on my head. I’m lying perfectly still in awe as I watch this happening waiting for John to give me the go ahead. He yells “Take him”, and I pop out of the blind just like he’d shown me, start blazing away on this goose, manage to scare a few feathers to death, then watch Buckshot work his magic and the goose take the elevator directly to ground floor. It was SOOOOO cool!!!!

So now I’m hooked!

We went out again today. After a few fly-by visitors, a small flock came over looking a bit more interested. John talked to them on his calls, and a single took him up on the invitation. Determined not to let the excitement take over, I told myself “this time remain calm, aim, then shoot.” I watched once again as this goose swung around, put out his landing gear, and proceeded on course to join me in my blind. I waited for John’s directive, sat up, lined my sights up, pulled the trigger and folded that goose up like a fancy napkin. I was so PUMPED!! It was the coolest thing ever!!! I wanted to celebrate so bad, but before I got to my feet to do the happy dance , another flock was eyeing up our spread. We both quickly settled back into our blinds, and watched the landing preparations begin. Just as I was sure they were going to commit, John says “Uhhhh Heidi. Your goose is walking away.” Sure enough, there he was, nonchalantly strolling through the dekes. He wasn’t flapping around, trying to fly or escape, he was just taking a Saturday morning stroll through some plastic replicas of himself. So, much to my chagrin, I ended his leisurely expedition, and sent the incoming potential flaring every which way in mass confusion. I guess it was their lucky day. And mine too.

Here’s a picture of my 13+ pound bag.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Congrats!!

Very Cool!!

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Congrats!!

Very Cool!!

corey-studer

Nice job and way to hang in there!

corey-studer

Nice job and way to hang in there!

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Congrats! I still remember my first goose! What a great feeling. There will be many more to come!

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

Congrats! I still remember my first goose! What a great feeling. There will be many more to come!

mike_v
    carver Mn

Nice job Heidi, As always you are are showing the guys how to do it, or maybe just John. I’ll trade ya a pheasant hunt for a goose hunt.

Mike

mike_v
    carver Mn

Nice job Heidi, As always you are are showing the guys how to do it, or maybe just John. I’ll trade ya a pheasant hunt for a goose hunt.

Mike

honda75
    Iowa

congrats

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Hey, way to go. I am sure it will be the first of many.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Hey, way to go. I am sure it will be the first of many.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Nice shootin’ Brat
    Great narative as well
    I thought for sure that you were going to tell us that you forgot to reload for the second flock or that you peppered a few of Buckshot’s decoys when you finished off your inaugural bounty
    Welcome to the support site for waterfowl addicts
    Hi, my name is Drakesdemise and I’m a waterfowl addict…..
    Sorry, you made me flask back to our first meeting
    cheers

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Nice shootin’ Brat
    Great narative as well
    I thought for sure that you were going to tell us that you forgot to reload for the second flock or that you peppered a few of Buckshot’s decoys when you finished off your inaugural bounty
    Welcome to the support site for waterfowl addicts
    Hi, my name is Drakesdemise and I’m a waterfowl addict…..
    Sorry, you made me flask back to our first meeting
    cheers

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Nice going Brat!! See you and Buckshot soon!!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Nice going Brat!! See you and Buckshot soon!!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

It was really cool to see that honker fold up the way it did…I was floored when I saw it walking away.

Unfortunately we had plans to fish Sunday….3 buddies I know like to get together every year for a little braggin rights competition fishing green carp. They chose lake in west Henn county that I’d never been on before but brat and I found 3 fish but one was under 12″ so we had to throw it back but the 2 we weighed went 8lbs 7oz so they were good ones. The whole time we were out there watching geese flyin around we were kickin ourselves for not going goose hunting again.
    JB

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

It was really cool to see that honker fold up the way it did…I was floored when I saw it walking away.

Unfortunately we had plans to fish Sunday….3 buddies I know like to get together every year for a little braggin rights competition fishing green carp. They chose lake in west Henn county that I’d never been on before but brat and I found 3 fish but one was under 12″ so we had to throw it back but the 2 we weighed went 8lbs 7oz so they were good ones. The whole time we were out there watching geese flyin around we were kickin ourselves for not going goose hunting again.
    JB

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Way to go! Have you ever considered being a outdoor writer? It was so fun to read your adventure,nice to hear a female spin on a hunt. You also can BS as well as the boys, 13 lbs I want to see the scale you used that is a acceptionaly large goose.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Way to go! Have you ever considered being a outdoor writer? It was so fun to read your adventure,nice to hear a female spin on a hunt. You also can BS as well as the boys, 13 lbs I want to see the scale you used that is a acceptionaly large goose.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I was there with her and 13 pounds is accurate…it was the biggest goose I have witnessed being shot in a long time. Holding it I figured it at 13-14 and it was a hair over 13. She will have to post the pick of her holding it up…..it was a BIG honker.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I was there with her and 13 pounds is accurate…it was the biggest goose I have witnessed being shot in a long time. Holding it I figured it at 13-14 and it was a hair over 13. She will have to post the pick of her holding it up…..it was a BIG honker.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Granted….Hiedi’s not that big, In fact,I don’t know who’s bigger. Nice job Hiedi, Now your challenge is a Pheasant!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Granted….Hiedi’s not that big, In fact,I don’t know who’s bigger. Nice job Hiedi, Now your challenge is a Pheasant!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.