How to you eat your Duck?

• col._klink
    St Paul

I save all the meat from the ducks and geese we get toss em in a bag and we have a local guy (Lino Lakes) make them into the best duck and goose brats I have ever had in my life better then Johnsonville beer brats.

Someone has to have some other tasty way to eat them???

Right??

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Quote:

Right??

Yep, give ’em to somebody else!!! Actually we smoke all of ours, works much better when we take them to the locker, sometimes I struggle to make those liver buzzards taste like anything but unwashed feet.

sean-lyons

Quote:

Right??

Yep, give ’em to somebody else!!! Actually we smoke all of ours, works much better when we take them to the locker, sometimes I struggle to make those liver buzzards taste like anything but unwashed feet.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Right??

Yep, give ’em to somebody else!!!

Heres a good recipe.

Soak breast in milk,hot sauce and whiskey overnight.

Set oven to 450

Wrap breast in bacon and sprinkle with pepper.

Cook until bacon is crisp.

Disgard breast, eat the bacon and finish the whiskey.

I usually smoked it as well.. Apple chips were always best.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Right??

Yep, give ’em to somebody else!!!

Heres a good recipe.

Set oven to 450

I usually smoked it as well.. Apple chips were always best.

sean-lyons

Here’s a recipe for the mudhens, I know the cheeseheads shoot ’em when the migration’s slow!!!!

Iowan’s Coot Recipe

1. Take the coot, a beer and a tack hammer and set them on your picnic table or workbench.

2. Drink the beer.

3. Tenderize the coot (Still Feathered) w/ the tack hammer for approximately ten minutes.

4. Look at the coot, if you still want to eat it, repeat step two as many times as are necessary (You’ll eventually lose interest)

sean-lyons

Here’s a recipe for the mudhens, I know the cheeseheads shoot ’em when the migration’s slow!!!!

Iowan’s Coot Recipe

1. Take the coot, a beer and a tack hammer and set them on your picnic table or workbench.

2. Drink the beer.

3. Tenderize the coot (Still Feathered) w/ the tack hammer for approximately ten minutes.

4. Look at the coot, if you still want to eat it, repeat step two as many times as are necessary (You’ll eventually lose interest)

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like ducks unlike many of these other guys. It taste great as long as you dont overcook it.

Let the breast soak in bbq sauce for a couple hours and wrap it in bacon and grill it.. when the bacon is done, so is the bird. Many marinades work great.

Another way is to stuff it with apple and onions and bake it.. just dont eat the stuffing.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I like ducks unlike many of these other guys. It taste great as long as you dont overcook it.

Let the breast soak in bbq sauce for a couple hours and wrap it in bacon and grill it.. when the bacon is done, so is the bird. Many marinades work great.

Another way is to stuff it with apple and onions and bake it.. just dont eat the stuffing.

cav90
    Chisago City, MN

I’ve heard that if you soak the meat in a can of coke overnight the acids in the coke take out alot of the wild game flavor and it tendorizes the meat. Personally, I haven’t tried it, but I have heard it works pretty well. I also heard it works on venison.

cav90
    Chisago City, MN

I’ve heard that if you soak the meat in a can of coke overnight the acids in the coke take out alot of the wild game flavor and it tendorizes the meat. Personally, I haven’t tried it, but I have heard it works pretty well. I also heard it works on venison.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

My favorite recipe is to:
    Tenderize breast
    Butterfly them (almost cut them in half)
    Soak in BBQ couple hours
    Add pepper jack slice of cheese, green pepper
    Wrap in bacon
    put toothpick to hold it together
    grill till done
    I served this to my duck hunting buddies in ND last year. They don’t normally eat duck. I didn’t cook enough.

Good Luck

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

My favorite recipe is to:
    Tenderize breast
    Butterfly them (almost cut them in half)
    Soak in BBQ couple hours
    Add pepper jack slice of cheese, green pepper
    Wrap in bacon
    put toothpick to hold it together
    grill till done
    I served this to my duck hunting buddies in ND last year. They don’t normally eat duck. I didn’t cook enough.

Good Luck

spd800
    NW Metro

We take all of our ducks & geese to our local butcher and have them made in to hot sticks (beer sticks). Great snack for the boat or blind you can even sneak them in at Holiday parties and people have no idea what there eating.

spd800
    NW Metro

We take all of our ducks & geese to our local butcher and have them made in to hot sticks (beer sticks). Great snack for the boat or blind you can even sneak them in at Holiday parties and people have no idea what there eating.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I must be old school. I pluck mine, soak in a mild salt brine for about 30 mins. Then stuff with your favorite stuffing recipe and bake em like a turkey or chicken. MMMMMMM

Other option is breast them out, butterfly, then marinade in italian dressing overnight. wrap a jalepno pepper in the meat, wrap with bacon and grill till the bacon is done. TASTY!

I only shoot puddle ducks and geese though. These recipes wonlt work for mergansers, coots or diving ducks…

Diver recipe..

1″x6″ cedar plank 10-12 inches long, soak in red wine over night.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Spilt breast and lay on plank.
    Salt and pepper (or other favorite seasoning) to taste. Place in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
    Remove from oven.
    Throw bird in trash and eat plank. (this recipe woirks for seagull too)

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I must be old school. I pluck mine, soak in a mild salt brine for about 30 mins. Then stuff with your favorite stuffing recipe and bake em like a turkey or chicken. MMMMMMM

Other option is breast them out, butterfly, then marinade in italian dressing overnight. wrap a jalepno pepper in the meat, wrap with bacon and grill till the bacon is done. TASTY!

I only shoot puddle ducks and geese though. These recipes wonlt work for mergansers, coots or diving ducks…

Diver recipe..

1″x6″ cedar plank 10-12 inches long, soak in red wine over night.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Spilt breast and lay on plank.
    Salt and pepper (or other favorite seasoning) to taste. Place in oven for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
    Remove from oven.
    Throw bird in trash and eat plank. (this recipe woirks for seagull too)

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

I like making jerkey out of mine its actully not half bad it goes down quick.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

I like making jerkey out of mine its actully not half bad it goes down quick.

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

I usually put mine in the Crockpot for 8-10 hrs on high with a bunch of potatoes, carrots, an onion and a couple cans of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom. Then add some seasoning, salt, pepper, etc.

Josh

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

I usually put mine in the Crockpot for 8-10 hrs on high with a bunch of potatoes, carrots, an onion and a couple cans of cream of chicken or cream of mushroom. Then add some seasoning, salt, pepper, etc.

Josh

phishirman
    Madison, WI

You guys have to try this!!! what we do is hammer the breasts out cut them into strips and wrap it with bacon around a sport pepper and grill em. Serve it with a side of ranch. As far as I’m concerned, its the only way to eat duck

phishirman
    Madison, WI

You guys have to try this!!! what we do is hammer the breasts out cut them into strips and wrap it with bacon around a sport pepper and grill em. Serve it with a side of ranch. As far as I’m concerned, its the only way to eat duck

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Clean breats well. Soak 24 hours in Zesty Italian Dressing. Wrap with thick bacon. Grille until bacon is done. Won’t believe how good and tender it is.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Clean breats well. Soak 24 hours in Zesty Italian Dressing. Wrap with thick bacon. Grille until bacon is done. Won’t believe how good and tender it is.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Set oven to 450

I think the biggest problem with us cooking water fowl is that we breast it out, instead of plucking (because it is such a pain in the ) Soaking in milk over night will get rid of the gamey flavor in any wild game. Butterflying your meat and searing it or wrapping in bacon is the best way I have tried.

prieser
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Set oven to 450

I think the biggest problem with us cooking water fowl is that we breast it out, instead of plucking (because it is such a pain in the ) Soaking in milk over night will get rid of the gamey flavor in any wild game. Butterflying your meat and searing it or wrapping in bacon is the best way I have tried.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Blackend Duck Tacos

Cube breast into small pieces.
    Cover with Blackend powder of your choice.
    Fry in a HOT skillet with butter until Medium rare.(Should only take a few minutes.)
    Serve in a tortilla with lettuce, tomato, Cheese and ceaser dressing.

YUM!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Blackend Duck Tacos

Cube breast into small pieces.
    Cover with Blackend powder of your choice.
    Fry in a HOT skillet with butter until Medium rare.(Should only take a few minutes.)
    Serve in a tortilla with lettuce, tomato, Cheese and ceaser dressing.

YUM!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

I like making jerkey

It’s the only way to go.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.