Confidence deke’s for field hunting.

• fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

OK here’s my question….

Who uses Confidence decoys while field hunting?

I already use them while open water hunting but have never used them in a field. As a test I picked up a few crow decoys to test the water this weekend.

If you are already using them. What is your opinion and how do you position them in relation to your Goose Deke’s? Close in? 5yds, 10yds, 25yds away?

Let me know your thoughts. With the weekend upon us I figure there should be a few guys thinking about similar scenereos.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’ve never used them and my first thought is that I dont recall seeing crows in with geese/ducks in the field. I’ll be interested to read later if others use this tactic.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I’ve never used them and my first thought is that I dont recall seeing crows in with geese/ducks in the field. I’ll be interested to read later if others use this tactic.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I have never used confidence decoys. I don’t think I have ever seen crows in with gesse. The gesse would probably run off the crows anyways. The crows usually stay out a 100 yards or more.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I have never used confidence decoys. I don’t think I have ever seen crows in with gesse. The gesse would probably run off the crows anyways. The crows usually stay out a 100 yards or more.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

So let me understand this you use crow decoys for confidence on the water, where do you find floater crow decoys ???

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

So let me understand this you use crow decoys for confidence on the water, where do you find floater crow decoys ???

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

OK here’s my question….

I already use them while open water hunting but have never used them in a field. As a test I picked up a few crow decoys to test the water this weekend.

If you are already using them. What is your opinion and how do you position them in relation to your Goose Deke’s? Close in? 5yds, 10yds, 25yds away?

Let me know your thoughts. With the weekend upon us I figure there should be a few guys thinking about similar scenereos.

ur kidding on the crow thingy,aren’t ya

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

OK here’s my question….

ur kidding on the crow thingy,aren’t ya

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

I have heard of people using crows b4 dont kno if they work. I also heard of people using sandhill crane decoys while goose hunting in fields, and heard they worked but who knows.

snowkid07
    Duluth,MN

I have heard of people using crows b4 dont kno if they work. I also heard of people using sandhill crane decoys while goose hunting in fields, and heard they worked but who knows.

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Wow, you are gettin’ beat-up pretty bad on this one chriss
    We have used confidence deacoys for years.
    On open water we have four floating gulls that also offer some good long distance pulling power because of the white bodies.
    On water near shore or muskrat houses, we have used blue herron or snowy egret decoys, you know how skitish those things can be. the snowy egret is actually one that I made out of a 1″x12″ years ago, with 1/4″ steel dowels for legs!
    Field hunting, I do not know.
    I do know that turkey hunters and deer hunters will use the opposing decoy for confidence.
    cheers

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Wow, you are gettin’ beat-up pretty bad on this one chriss
    We have used confidence deacoys for years.
    On open water we have four floating gulls that also offer some good long distance pulling power because of the white bodies.
    On water near shore or muskrat houses, we have used blue herron or snowy egret decoys, you know how skitish those things can be. the snowy egret is actually one that I made out of a 1″x12″ years ago, with 1/4″ steel dowels for legs!
    Field hunting, I do not know.
    I do know that turkey hunters and deer hunters will use the opposing decoy for confidence.
    cheers

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

OK here’s some clarification on the use of these Deke’s. This year we began using them in the field. I have 6 Crows that we put 50 to 75 yds down the field from the goose Decoys.

Last weekend My uncle gave them another shot. He placed them on the short side of the field. (This happened to be the up wind side.) For what ever reason the geese that took a hard look would circle. Then enter the spread coming down wind over the top of these Crow Decoys. There wasn’t a ton of wind but it certainly makes me think. The end where the birds committed forces the Geese fly over a tree line and into a narrow passage created by a farm house and corn crops. (This flite path is not normal for this field.) With all of the pressure in our area I am VERY suprised that the geese would choose this path.

There is still alot of testing to do but for now I am going to keep giving it a shot.

Here’s to all of the abuse. :moon

Here’s another one for you. I WON’T USE MECHANICAL DECOYS ANY MORE! Bring on the next round of fun!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

OK here’s some clarification on the use of these Deke’s. This year we began using them in the field. I have 6 Crows that we put 50 to 75 yds down the field from the goose Decoys.

Last weekend My uncle gave them another shot. He placed them on the short side of the field. (This happened to be the up wind side.) For what ever reason the geese that took a hard look would circle. Then enter the spread coming down wind over the top of these Crow Decoys. There wasn’t a ton of wind but it certainly makes me think. The end where the birds committed forces the Geese fly over a tree line and into a narrow passage created by a farm house and corn crops. (This flite path is not normal for this field.) With all of the pressure in our area I am VERY suprised that the geese would choose this path.

There is still alot of testing to do but for now I am going to keep giving it a shot.

Here’s to all of the abuse. :moon

Here’s another one for you. I WON’T USE MECHANICAL DECOYS ANY MORE! Bring on the next round of fun!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.