Keeping secret spots…..SECRET!!!

• Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

So here’s the situation……..you’ve found yourself a new little honey hole, or it even could be an old reliable honey hole……one that only a few, if anybody, else knows about ……..you hunt it every once and a while, being carefull not to burn it out……..It’s a very consistent spot, that produces limits on a regular basis…..but isn’t an area that can stand any more pressure than it’s receiving at this point….

……Now you know you’re eventually going to be asked by people at the landing, friends, family members, work people, and other acquaintances (sp?) where you’re shootin all these birds……So here’s the question…….Other than your one or two closets hunting buddies, you obviously wouldn’t tell any of them EXACTLY where YOUR spot is……but do you give them the general area? or do you lie to them and tell them you’re hunting an area you’re not? or do you completely brush them off and tell them nothing?

Personally, I’ve tried that last idea (tell them I can’t tell them ), but have had a very negative reponse from people when I do it…….It’s hard to tell some of your family members or best friends that you can’t tell them where you’re hunting because they might go blabing it around …….but I also find lying to someones face (someone you know) just as hard

Need help on this one guys……cause I’m gonna be shootin a limit out of this spot Friday morning, and people are gonna wanna know

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

tell them you’re on private land..lol

I would tell them straight up…..”I DON’T WANT TO RUIN THIS AREA B/C NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT”. Tell them sorry, but you’ve worked too hard to just have it go to crap.

If they don’t like it. Too Bad. It’s just like a “secret” fishing hole. Don’t want people to go there? don’t tell people where it is. Pretty simple.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

tell them you’re on private land..lol

I would tell them straight up…..”I DON’T WANT TO RUIN THIS AREA B/C NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT”. Tell them sorry, but you’ve worked too hard to just have it go to crap.

If they don’t like it. Too Bad. It’s just like a “secret” fishing hole. Don’t want people to go there? don’t tell people where it is. Pretty simple.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I shot them on the river. The Mississippi is really big.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

By the way, I am free on Friday. Where are we hunting????

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

and I guess that brings up another question…….WHO do you take there? Do you strictly limit it to yourself?……or just you and your one or two close hunting buddies?…..Or anybody you hunt with on a regular basis?……Or for enough money, do you invite some random “Lenny” to join you one day?

Just like this Friday…..I know my main hunting buddy is not going to be able to go……but I would like to go with another person, if nothing more than to be able to shoot more than a one man limit of Greenheads (4 ain’t that many when they’re 15yd shots, right? )……I have another guy (from work) that I’m sure would go, but I know he hunts with other people, and even if I ask him not too, it’s more than likely he will tell them where we hunted……then the cycle begins…..and soon you get to your secret spot that nobody knows about to find another group there

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

and I guess that brings up another question…….WHO do you take there? Do you strictly limit it to yourself?……or just you and your one or two close hunting buddies?…..Or anybody you hunt with on a regular basis?……Or for enough money, do you invite some random “Lenny” to join you one day?

Just like this Friday…..I know my main hunting buddy is not going to be able to go……but I would like to go with another person, if nothing more than to be able to shoot more than a one man limit of Greenheads (4 ain’t that many when they’re 15yd shots, right? )……I have another guy (from work) that I’m sure would go, but I know he hunts with other people, and even if I ask him not too, it’s more than likely he will tell them where we hunted……then the cycle begins…..and soon you get to your secret spot that nobody knows about to find another group there

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I would take only close buddies, or guys that you barely know hunt, but would enjoy a day out, and aren’t gonna be around to even remember that spot after next week..

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I would take only close buddies, or guys that you barely know hunt, but would enjoy a day out, and aren’t gonna be around to even remember that spot after next week..

robby
    Quad Cities

Just be honest and tell them they will have to find their own honey hole. I am sure you understand this and this is the way it is. When it comes to hunting and fishing spots, even if you take your closest of friends to a great spot the temptation to return is more than most can stand. It has gotten very difficult to gain permission on private land near here. I was burned a few years ago by a friend. A certain farm I have permission to hunt is absolutely full of pheasants. I took a close friend with the handshake agreement that he would not return to the place unless I took him. A few days after our hunt he returned on his owm, did not ask permission, and went hunting. When the farmer confronted him he stated that “Rob” gave him permission. The farmer did not believe him and tossed his butt out of there after explaining that if he returned again he would leave in a squad car. I got chewed out even though the farmer knew that I did not give him permission that was not mine to give. I am fortunate to still have permission to hunt this farm. I have killed countless pheasants, some quail, rabbits, and many many deer on this property. Another time I took a “friend” wading a small creek that has small mouth bass in it. He agreed that if her returned he would not take any bass out of it. One evening I stopped by his house and found him cleaning a whole bunch of these creek bass. I never fished with him again. Can not trust him. Not many creeks around her contain small mouth, or any game fish. “Friends” will suprise us when they cannot stand temptation and the only one that we can really blame is ourselves for giving people too much credit. I would definately keep your honey hole secret, even if it is on public ground.

robby
    Quad Cities

Just be honest and tell them they will have to find their own honey hole. I am sure you understand this and this is the way it is. When it comes to hunting and fishing spots, even if you take your closest of friends to a great spot the temptation to return is more than most can stand. It has gotten very difficult to gain permission on private land near here. I was burned a few years ago by a friend. A certain farm I have permission to hunt is absolutely full of pheasants. I took a close friend with the handshake agreement that he would not return to the place unless I took him. A few days after our hunt he returned on his owm, did not ask permission, and went hunting. When the farmer confronted him he stated that “Rob” gave him permission. The farmer did not believe him and tossed his butt out of there after explaining that if he returned again he would leave in a squad car. I got chewed out even though the farmer knew that I did not give him permission that was not mine to give. I am fortunate to still have permission to hunt this farm. I have killed countless pheasants, some quail, rabbits, and many many deer on this property. Another time I took a “friend” wading a small creek that has small mouth bass in it. He agreed that if her returned he would not take any bass out of it. One evening I stopped by his house and found him cleaning a whole bunch of these creek bass. I never fished with him again. Can not trust him. Not many creeks around her contain small mouth, or any game fish. “Friends” will suprise us when they cannot stand temptation and the only one that we can really blame is ourselves for giving people too much credit. I would definately keep your honey hole secret, even if it is on public ground.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Quote:

Thats my response…unless its regarding fishing, then sometimes I get even more GENERAL…”In the Water”.

If we trust each other enough that we could loan each other money, I will tell you exactly where, if not…oh well.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Quote:

Thats my response…unless its regarding fishing, then sometimes I get even more GENERAL…”In the Water”.

If we trust each other enough that we could loan each other money, I will tell you exactly where, if not…oh well.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Keep it to yourself, that is the best advice I can give you. I have learned from experience that “secret” spots will not be secret very long if you take others. Good hunting areas are few and far between and you do not want to ruin them.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Keep it to yourself, that is the best advice I can give you. I have learned from experience that “secret” spots will not be secret very long if you take others. Good hunting areas are few and far between and you do not want to ruin them.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The question that’s very near and dear to my heart!

When I go out with someone else, one of the first things I tell them (now) is..”don’t take me to ANY of your secret spots”. I don’t want to have the burden of knowing and if I don’t know and someone happens to go there…you can’t blame me for blabbing. (This happens more frequently than you might expect~ from the school of hard knocks)

When I take someone out, I have no “secret” spots. Because I want them to do well just as much as I do. Now posting that spot on the net…is another story of course.

Couple questions…how did you find the “secret spot”?
    If it’s that good…how many ducks do you have in the freezer? How many do you need?

Sharing a good time with a friend is what it’s all about to me…I’ll say it again…”to ME.” This doesn’t make it the right answer for YOU.

PS I don’t hunt any longer…but if I did..that would be my thought process as it is with fishing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The question that’s very near and dear to my heart!

When I go out with someone else, one of the first things I tell them (now) is..”don’t take me to ANY of your secret spots”. I don’t want to have the burden of knowing and if I don’t know and someone happens to go there…you can’t blame me for blabbing. (This happens more frequently than you might expect~ from the school of hard knocks)

When I take someone out, I have no “secret” spots. Because I want them to do well just as much as I do. Now posting that spot on the net…is another story of course.

Couple questions…how did you find the “secret spot”?
    If it’s that good…how many ducks do you have in the freezer? How many do you need?

Sharing a good time with a friend is what it’s all about to me…I’ll say it again…”to ME.” This doesn’t make it the right answer for YOU.

PS I don’t hunt any longer…but if I did..that would be my thought process as it is with fishing.

SLee
    Crystal,MN

Jake,

Don’t take anyone there! I am in the same boat this weekend…but I have learned to trust no one! It is far better to hunt alnoe than bring someone else you do not have trust in….and then worry about it forever. You never know when that trust will be broken. How about 2 years down the road? They will think you have forgotten. And the worst thing is there is nothing you can do.

If you do take someone….take someone who rarely hunts. Buy a liscense for them if you have to.

SLee
    Crystal,MN

Jake,

Don’t take anyone there! I am in the same boat this weekend…but I have learned to trust no one! It is far better to hunt alnoe than bring someone else you do not have trust in….and then worry about it forever. You never know when that trust will be broken. How about 2 years down the road? They will think you have forgotten. And the worst thing is there is nothing you can do.

If you do take someone….take someone who rarely hunts. Buy a liscense for them if you have to.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Excellent post! I have been contimplating(?) this too. I hunt after work during the week by myself. Got a guy that I work with that just started duck hunting to go with me, better than by yourself. Well to say the least I stay WAY clear of my secret spots and try new ones. You never know you might find new secret spots with this guy and you two can enjoy them together. I tell him every day that this is our spot and not to tell anyone and not even his own family members. when I am around him talking on the phone he says “secret spot” although this spot has produced very few birds than the ones I know I could kill/shot at on my own. Yeah I do not shoot a lot of birds, but when I get a few I keep it to myself. I do not remeber who said it, but if you loan them money you can trust them! Well ok, but it will always, I mean always, cross your mind. If you feel that strongly about the spot, hunt it sat. with your REALLY good hunting partner who would NO MATTTER what never go there without you. Now play the devils advicate, if you find that spot with your “new buddy” do you hunt it without him???? I can not answer that. My new buddy does not have a boat or anything to pull the boat with, but we together find spots. If I am part of the new spot, I take my wife and my family that is it. As for the landing. I may take the long way around seeing as people can see/hear you come from a general direction and may hear the shooting and figure there are birds there, lets look. I do not want to confuse anyone, this is a never ending battle. My new hunting partner has shot his first duck, an awesome mounter wood duck which is at the taxidermist, shot his first goose, and shot more than his father who (not to brag) goes on guided hunts, all because we found new spots together that I might not otherwise have found. Like I said I hope I did not confuse anyone or not answer your question, but just got some stuff off my chest and maybe brought up some important/relevant points that others can build from.
    Thanks/sorry,
    jeweler

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Excellent post! I have been contimplating(?) this too. I hunt after work during the week by myself. Got a guy that I work with that just started duck hunting to go with me, better than by yourself. Well to say the least I stay WAY clear of my secret spots and try new ones. You never know you might find new secret spots with this guy and you two can enjoy them together. I tell him every day that this is our spot and not to tell anyone and not even his own family members. when I am around him talking on the phone he says “secret spot” although this spot has produced very few birds than the ones I know I could kill/shot at on my own. Yeah I do not shoot a lot of birds, but when I get a few I keep it to myself. I do not remeber who said it, but if you loan them money you can trust them! Well ok, but it will always, I mean always, cross your mind. If you feel that strongly about the spot, hunt it sat. with your REALLY good hunting partner who would NO MATTTER what never go there without you. Now play the devils advicate, if you find that spot with your “new buddy” do you hunt it without him???? I can not answer that. My new buddy does not have a boat or anything to pull the boat with, but we together find spots. If I am part of the new spot, I take my wife and my family that is it. As for the landing. I may take the long way around seeing as people can see/hear you come from a general direction and may hear the shooting and figure there are birds there, lets look. I do not want to confuse anyone, this is a never ending battle. My new hunting partner has shot his first duck, an awesome mounter wood duck which is at the taxidermist, shot his first goose, and shot more than his father who (not to brag) goes on guided hunts, all because we found new spots together that I might not otherwise have found. Like I said I hope I did not confuse anyone or not answer your question, but just got some stuff off my chest and maybe brought up some important/relevant points that others can build from.
    Thanks/sorry,
    jeweler

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

those guys have loose lips big time..somebody the rarely get’s into birds is gonna run his mouth!!

Best advice is take ur close hunting buddy or go by urself..ur spot will be discovered anyways so shoot’em up while u can cause it don’t last long!!

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Quote:

those guys have loose lips big time..somebody the rarely get’s into birds is gonna run his mouth!!

Best advice is take ur close hunting buddy or go by urself..ur spot will be discovered anyways so shoot’em up while u can cause it don’t last long!!

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

if you are worried about it, shut up and hunt. If you feel compelled to share… give it up and say hi to the crowds. Understand that not that many people look at this site, get over it…. I don’t even remember your handle, and that was just seconds ago…

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

if you are worried about it, shut up and hunt. If you feel compelled to share… give it up and say hi to the crowds. Understand that not that many people look at this site, get over it…. I don’t even remember your handle, and that was just seconds ago…

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Jake, now that you have advertised that you are going there Friday, I will be in vehicle # 57 following you. Tell them that its a small area that can be burned out real fast and that you have given your word not to give the location away. [now promise yourself not to give the spot away so you would be telling the truth].
    Thanks, Bill

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Jake, now that you have advertised that you are going there Friday, I will be in vehicle # 57 following you. Tell them that its a small area that can be burned out real fast and that you have given your word not to give the location away. [now promise yourself not to give the spot away so you would be telling the truth].
    Thanks, Bill

herb
    6ft under

Keep it to yourself Jake. Even your best friends have friends if you know what I mean. Once somebody else locates your secret spot, whether you showed them or not, it’s no longer a secret.
    Also, if this spot is that good, sooner or later somebody will spot you or follow you there.
    Heck, I’ve got crappie spots on the river I wouldn’t even show my pet trolls, the little squealers!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.