still shooten some

• blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Just curious fishermanpepin, are all these “guided” hunts that you are posting and trying to promote on private land?

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Butch is….but maybe isn’t anymore…the mayor of stutgart. But you know what, who cares no one blows RNT calls anyways!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Butch is….but maybe isn’t anymore…the mayor of stutgart. But you know what, who cares no one blows RNT calls anyways!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kris_brantner
    My river

who blows rnt calls??? how about the people who wanna shoot some ducks, thats who. i have two other highdollar duck calls, i use them yes, i have an echo open water and a big guys best sweet talker. the call i sound best on and the one i have more confidence in is the rnt. im pretty sure i pissed the guy off at cabelas when i sat and called on every call in there and took like an hour and never bought one, but ne ways i couldnt get any other call there to sound better than the rnt. and btw, 90% of these hunts are on public land. just out of the way places that nobody hunts cuz its too much work and they cant just pull their boat up and hunt out of there. i do have a little spring fed pond that the mallards just pile into when they are coming down and msot of the other water is froze. ive estimated up to 300 ducks in a little pond that is probably 40 yards long by 15 wide. lets us know if you are interested in bangen some birds!!!

kris_brantner
    My river

who blows rnt calls??? how about the people who wanna shoot some ducks, thats who. i have two other highdollar duck calls, i use them yes, i have an echo open water and a big guys best sweet talker. the call i sound best on and the one i have more confidence in is the rnt. im pretty sure i pissed the guy off at cabelas when i sat and called on every call in there and took like an hour and never bought one, but ne ways i couldnt get any other call there to sound better than the rnt. and btw, 90% of these hunts are on public land. just out of the way places that nobody hunts cuz its too much work and they cant just pull their boat up and hunt out of there. i do have a little spring fed pond that the mallards just pile into when they are coming down and msot of the other water is froze. ive estimated up to 300 ducks in a little pond that is probably 40 yards long by 15 wide. lets us know if you are interested in bangen some birds!!!

buckmaster

For your information it is the caller not the call. I know a guy that I would be willing to bet a million can out call most people with a Olt 66. Key to killing ducks is knowing what call to make at what time. You think the ducks can tell the difference between a $8 call and a $125 dollar call? Listen to a lone hen on a pond if you want to hear something that sounds like crap or what we hunters think sounds like crap.

Like my pops used to tell me, “a good caller can make a bad call sound good and a bad caller can make a good call sound bad.”

buckmaster

For your information it is the caller not the call. I know a guy that I would be willing to bet a million can out call most people with a Olt 66. Key to killing ducks is knowing what call to make at what time. You think the ducks can tell the difference between a $8 call and a $125 dollar call? Listen to a lone hen on a pond if you want to hear something that sounds like crap or what we hunters think sounds like crap.

Like my pops used to tell me, “a good caller can make a bad call sound good and a bad caller can make a good call sound bad.”

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Your “pops” is a very wise man

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Your “pops” is a very wise man

buckmaster

You said it Duckilr! It’s no lie either. While out hunting this year that old saying has really come into play listening to a lot of people do the flooded mercury, laughing mallard and some kind of spit, growl and rolling feeding chuckle/call that I have never heard a duck even attempt to make before. Here is a little tip: Don’t do a feed chuckle when the ducks are flying away from you…. Just don’t understand some peoples way of thinking, but I soon relize why people only shoot 1 or 2 ducks a weekend after listening to them call.

Back the point……….”caller not the call”

buckmaster

You said it Duckilr! It’s no lie either. While out hunting this year that old saying has really come into play listening to a lot of people do the flooded mercury, laughing mallard and some kind of spit, growl and rolling feeding chuckle/call that I have never heard a duck even attempt to make before. Here is a little tip: Don’t do a feed chuckle when the ducks are flying away from you…. Just don’t understand some peoples way of thinking, but I soon relize why people only shoot 1 or 2 ducks a weekend after listening to them call.

Back the point……….”caller not the call”

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Hey doemaster, I mean buckmaster, I am going to have to disagree with you. I can only do so much with a call and it seems to get me a bird here and there. remember not everyone is a pro so for those of us that are not as good as others remember it is being in the outdoors not about killing some birds. Just my $.02. thanks, jeweler

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Hey doemaster, I mean buckmaster, I am going to have to disagree with you. I can only do so much with a call and it seems to get me a bird here and there. remember not everyone is a pro so for those of us that are not as good as others remember it is being in the outdoors not about killing some birds. Just my $.02. thanks, jeweler

kris_brantner
    My river

Quote:

You think the ducks can tell the difference between a $8 call and a $125 dollar call?

“a good caller can make a bad call sound good and a bad caller can make a good call sound bad.”

whats your defination of a bad call??? well with a good call, you can get so many more variations, change the loudness however you want, and usually the ease of operation increases with a good call.

kris_brantner
    My river

Quote:

You think the ducks can tell the difference between a $8 call and a $125 dollar call?

“a good caller can make a bad call sound good and a bad caller can make a good call sound bad.”

whats your defination of a bad call??? well with a good call, you can get so many more variations, change the loudness however you want, and usually the ease of operation increases with a good call.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

A good caller can usually make a 125 dollar call sound alot better than a 8 dollar call. A bad caller can usually make a 125 dollar call sound better than a 8 dollar call too, but may not be able to make a 125 dollar call sound better than the good caller on the 8 dollar call. Is any of this news? What was the argument again?

Expensive calls sounds better than cheap calls with any given caller for the most part. How much better? That’s a whole nother question. I have a cocoloba Echo Timber call. They also make the same “guts” in a cheaper poly call, and a more expensive acrylic. The wood sounds the most mellow, the acrylic the most crisp, but in reality the poly sounds VERY close to the other calls. I like the look of the wood, and the feel of the wood better, which is why I bought it. I have heard some very sweet sounding OLT’s, and my buddy has a Haydel’s Redleg that sounds awesome, I had the same call, and we just couldn’t tune it to sound like his.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

A good caller can usually make a 125 dollar call sound alot better than a 8 dollar call. A bad caller can usually make a 125 dollar call sound better than a 8 dollar call too, but may not be able to make a 125 dollar call sound better than the good caller on the 8 dollar call. Is any of this news? What was the argument again?

Expensive calls sounds better than cheap calls with any given caller for the most part. How much better? That’s a whole nother question. I have a cocoloba Echo Timber call. They also make the same “guts” in a cheaper poly call, and a more expensive acrylic. The wood sounds the most mellow, the acrylic the most crisp, but in reality the poly sounds VERY close to the other calls. I like the look of the wood, and the feel of the wood better, which is why I bought it. I have heard some very sweet sounding OLT’s, and my buddy has a Haydel’s Redleg that sounds awesome, I had the same call, and we just couldn’t tune it to sound like his.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

Expensive calls sounds better than cheap calls with any given caller for the most part.

I think you have it all wrong… I think the point Buckmaster was trying to make was simply that if you are a bad caller, it makes no difference whether or not you have a 200$ call or a 8$ call. All a 200$ call means is that you are 192$ further in the hole and you still can’t make a sound like a duck.

At the same time I have dozens of calls, some are 150$ calls, some are 10$ calls. Which do I use the most? Well I can tell you this….the ducks will never know!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Quote:

Expensive calls sounds better than cheap calls with any given caller for the most part.

I think you have it all wrong… I think the point Buckmaster was trying to make was simply that if you are a bad caller, it makes no difference whether or not you have a 200$ call or a 8$ call. All a 200$ call means is that you are 192$ further in the hole and you still can’t make a sound like a duck.

At the same time I have dozens of calls, some are 150$ calls, some are 10$ calls. Which do I use the most? Well I can tell you this….the ducks will never know!

kris_brantner
    My river

how about everone on the duck forum gets to gether sometime in dec and hav us a little calling contest

kris_brantner
    My river

how about everone on the duck forum gets to gether sometime in dec and hav us a little calling contest

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

[quoteI think the point Buckmaster was trying to make was simply that if you are a bad caller, it makes no difference whether or not you have a 200$ call or a 8$ call. All a 200$ call means is that you are 192$ further in the hole and you still can’t make a sound like a duck.

I understood his point completely. I didn’t really think it was news that bad callers would still be bad callers regardless of the money they spent. I was basically just adding that my point was, expensive calls do often sound better in the hands of a good caller. The Fishermanpepin shoots alot of ducks, I imagine he is at least an adequate caller. I bet a RNT or whatever will make him sound some better than most cheap calls. How much better is up for debate, but to his ear, the money spent was worth it.

I also think there is a wide range of calling skills, from terrible to awesome and everywhere in between. You don’t have to be a contest level caller to get ducks in. Just sound like a duck and make the right calls at the right time, and know when to shut up. (I think Buckmaster made this point above as well.)

To me, understanding when to call (and when not, maybe moreso), and what call to make (comeback, lonesome hen, greeting, cluck, etc.) is more important than than pure sound. Ever listen to a pile of mallards? Some sound great, some sound muffled, some high, some low, some raspier than others. Some are quacking, some are clucking, all at the same time. I like a couple of different sounding calls in the blind at the same time. Sounds more like a real group of ducks.

However, I stand by the line you quoted from me as a stand alone.

“Expensive calls sounds better than cheap calls with any given caller for the most part.” Maybe it should say “for any given caller of at least average ability”.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

[quoteI think the point Buckmaster was trying to make was simply that if you are a bad caller, it makes no difference whether or not you have a 200$ call or a 8$ call. All a 200$ call means is that you are 192$ further in the hole and you still can’t make a sound like a duck.

I understood his point completely. I didn’t really think it was news that bad callers would still be bad callers regardless of the money they spent. I was basically just adding that my point was, expensive calls do often sound better in the hands of a good caller. The Fishermanpepin shoots alot of ducks, I imagine he is at least an adequate caller. I bet a RNT or whatever will make him sound some better than most cheap calls. How much better is up for debate, but to his ear, the money spent was worth it.

I also think there is a wide range of calling skills, from terrible to awesome and everywhere in between. You don’t have to be a contest level caller to get ducks in. Just sound like a duck and make the right calls at the right time, and know when to shut up. (I think Buckmaster made this point above as well.)

To me, understanding when to call (and when not, maybe moreso), and what call to make (comeback, lonesome hen, greeting, cluck, etc.) is more important than than pure sound. Ever listen to a pile of mallards? Some sound great, some sound muffled, some high, some low, some raspier than others. Some are quacking, some are clucking, all at the same time. I like a couple of different sounding calls in the blind at the same time. Sounds more like a real group of ducks.

However, I stand by the line you quoted from me as a stand alone.

“Expensive calls sounds better than cheap calls with any given caller for the most part.” Maybe it should say “for any given caller of at least average ability”.

buckmaster

Jeweler,

I am not a pro caller by any means and I still manage to kill ducks day in and day out. Sometimes a limit and sometimes not, but either way I am killing ducks. If I wanted to JUST be in the outdoors I would go walk the trails at the state park my friend. For you it is being in the outdoors and for me it is killing ducks.

That is just my 2 cents!

buckmaster

Jeweler,

I am not a pro caller by any means and I still manage to kill ducks day in and day out. Sometimes a limit and sometimes not, but either way I am killing ducks. If I wanted to JUST be in the outdoors I would go walk the trails at the state park my friend. For you it is being in the outdoors and for me it is killing ducks.

That is just my 2 cents!

buckmaster

Quote:

Your right it is nothing new to anyone. Learn the basics and this duck calling stuff is pretty easy. The point of this is being that is it the caller not the call!

buckmaster

Quote:

Your right it is nothing new to anyone. Learn the basics and this duck calling stuff is pretty easy. The point of this is being that is it the caller not the call!

buckmaster

Quote:

Fish,

You still aren’t hunting in Dec.? For me I will be hunting still around that time. Hung up the dekes, waders and gun on the 9th of Jan. last year……….

FOR THE CONTEST:
    Contest calling is a heck of a lot different then field calling, but the WWA holds a duck calling contest every year at the end of August or begining of September. You probably already know about it though with your buddy being a guide and you helping him. It is a chance to show your skills and win a trip to the Calling Championship in Stuttgart,AK………It is a good time…….Hope you can make it! See a lot of good callers here.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.