Duck recipes

• Andy68
    Rochester

i was wondering if anyone has a good duck recipes for on the grill. My favorite is season the ducks up with a little salt and pepper. Then you sprinkle on a little lawreys salt and then grill them until they are done

kris_brantner
    My river

maranade them in your favorite sauce, wrap them in bacon and grill about medium rare. you always want a little red in the middle or else they get way to tough

kris_brantner
    My river

maranade them in your favorite sauce, wrap them in bacon and grill about medium rare. you always want a little red in the middle or else they get way to tough

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I like to soak them in milk overnight to get rid of some of the “gamey” taste and alot of the blood. Then marinade them overnight with whatever you like. Wrap in bacon and put in the oven until done. Take them out, eat the bacon and throw away the duck. Try the milk though. It helps to remove some of the “dark taste” and some blood.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I like to soak them in milk overnight to get rid of some of the “gamey” taste and alot of the blood. Then marinade them overnight with whatever you like. Wrap in bacon and put in the oven until done. Take them out, eat the bacon and throw away the duck. Try the milk though. It helps to remove some of the “dark taste” and some blood.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Here’s one.

-Take a pile of duck breasts (exact quantity dictated by quality of hunters shooting)

-1 Clove of fresh minced garlic

-1 Jar of your favorite barbaque sauce (Famous Dave’s Sweet and Sassy is one of my favs)

-1 1/2 Cup of extra virgin olive oil

-Various seasonings (fresh ground peppercorns red, white, black; a little Lawry’s, just a little crushed red pepper flakes, and brown sugar)

The key to making this great is meat preparation and marinade time. A mechanical meat tenderizing is ideal, run each breast through a couple of times so the meat is pretty torn up but still staying together. If you don’t have one I have also used a mallet and pounded the breasts completley flat. Or if it really comes down to it a fork works fine but you really need to tear up the meat, not just poke holes in it.

Fill a large tupperware container with the marinade mix, and stir well. The oil won’t mix in real well, so let the jar of bbq sauce get to room temp. Then just put the breasts in, put the cover on, refrigerate and shake it twice a day for at least two days, I have marinaded for as long as five. The longer you wait the better the overall flavor will be. If you really want a treat, wrap the breasts in thick cut bacon over wide slivers of sweet vadalia onions, and secure with tootpicks. Without bacon grill the breasts over medium-high flame turning just once, don’t over cook them, they should have the same firmness as a medium rare steak. If you are using bacon, turn the heat down and cook the breasts longer and slower so the flavor of the bacon and the onion can meld with the meat.

Denny up at Trail’s End Pro Bass in Fridley shared this recipe with me some years back, and even people that say they don’t like wild duck can’t tell unless you clue them in. I still can’t make it exactly like Denny, industry secrets he calls it, but I continue to experiment with various spices.

Good luck, and “good eating”

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Here’s one.

-Take a pile of duck breasts (exact quantity dictated by quality of hunters shooting)

-1 Clove of fresh minced garlic

-1 Jar of your favorite barbaque sauce (Famous Dave’s Sweet and Sassy is one of my favs)

-1 1/2 Cup of extra virgin olive oil

-Various seasonings (fresh ground peppercorns red, white, black; a little Lawry’s, just a little crushed red pepper flakes, and brown sugar)

The key to making this great is meat preparation and marinade time. A mechanical meat tenderizing is ideal, run each breast through a couple of times so the meat is pretty torn up but still staying together. If you don’t have one I have also used a mallet and pounded the breasts completley flat. Or if it really comes down to it a fork works fine but you really need to tear up the meat, not just poke holes in it.

Fill a large tupperware container with the marinade mix, and stir well. The oil won’t mix in real well, so let the jar of bbq sauce get to room temp. Then just put the breasts in, put the cover on, refrigerate and shake it twice a day for at least two days, I have marinaded for as long as five. The longer you wait the better the overall flavor will be. If you really want a treat, wrap the breasts in thick cut bacon over wide slivers of sweet vadalia onions, and secure with tootpicks. Without bacon grill the breasts over medium-high flame turning just once, don’t over cook them, they should have the same firmness as a medium rare steak. If you are using bacon, turn the heat down and cook the breasts longer and slower so the flavor of the bacon and the onion can meld with the meat.

Denny up at Trail’s End Pro Bass in Fridley shared this recipe with me some years back, and even people that say they don’t like wild duck can’t tell unless you clue them in. I still can’t make it exactly like Denny, industry secrets he calls it, but I continue to experiment with various spices.

Good luck, and “good eating”

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Not for the grill. But hears my Fav..

Blackend Duck Tacos.

Cube 2-3 breasts.
    Place a combitation garlic powder and blackend seasoning in a bag. “Mix to Taste”

Place breast cubes in bag.
    Shake until fully coated.

Heat Skilet. The hotter the better!
    Melt 1/2 stick of butter in pan.
    Cook until done. I prefer the slightly red in the middle.

Serve in a tortilla with fixings of choice.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Not for the grill. But hears my Fav..

Blackend Duck Tacos.

Cube 2-3 breasts.
    Place a combitation garlic powder and blackend seasoning in a bag. “Mix to Taste”

Place breast cubes in bag.
    Shake until fully coated.

Heat Skilet. The hotter the better!
    Melt 1/2 stick of butter in pan.
    Cook until done. I prefer the slightly red in the middle.

Serve in a tortilla with fixings of choice.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

When it comes to trying things in a different way, I’m all for it. Here is a recipe good for duck or goose. Using the breast, cut onto 1×1 inch cubes, place cubed breast meat into your favorite teriyaki marinade for at least one day, if not more. while coals are gett’n ready, take some jalapenos and cut tops off and dig out seeds.(don’t use yor fingers, then scratch your privates!) Pack the inside of the hot pepper full of cream cheese, slice the cream cheese stuffed jalapeno. Get container of marinaded duck or goose breast out of the fridge, and grab another brew while you are at it. Cut a slit in each piece of meat, being careful not to cut all the way through. Insert one slice of jalapeno/cream cheese into the pocket you just cut in the meat. Wrap a 1/3 slice of thick cut bacon around meat, and secure on a kabob stick or toothpick (soak in water for 1 hour). Place them on the Weber, enjoy another beer, wait for the applause There you have it, duck/goose poppers. Make up a bunch at one time, they go fast. To date, I have not found a better teriyaki marinade than from a company called Yu Sing named Very Teriyaki, has the seasame seeds and everything, very good taste. I see this in the Asain foods section at Walmart now. It was very hard to find up to this point.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

When it comes to trying things in a different way, I’m all for it. Here is a recipe good for duck or goose. Using the breast, cut onto 1×1 inch cubes, place cubed breast meat into your favorite teriyaki marinade for at least one day, if not more. while coals are gett’n ready, take some jalapenos and cut tops off and dig out seeds.(don’t use yor fingers, then scratch your privates!) Pack the inside of the hot pepper full of cream cheese, slice the cream cheese stuffed jalapeno. Get container of marinaded duck or goose breast out of the fridge, and grab another brew while you are at it. Cut a slit in each piece of meat, being careful not to cut all the way through. Insert one slice of jalapeno/cream cheese into the pocket you just cut in the meat. Wrap a 1/3 slice of thick cut bacon around meat, and secure on a kabob stick or toothpick (soak in water for 1 hour). Place them on the Weber, enjoy another beer, wait for the applause There you have it, duck/goose poppers. Make up a bunch at one time, they go fast. To date, I have not found a better teriyaki marinade than from a company called Yu Sing named Very Teriyaki, has the seasame seeds and everything, very good taste. I see this in the Asain foods section at Walmart now. It was very hard to find up to this point.

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

i like to cut mine in 1/4″ strips, roll in flower and seasonings then fry in butter. better cold i think….

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

i like to cut mine in 1/4″ strips, roll in flower and seasonings then fry in butter. better cold i think….

scc
    LaX, WI

My favorite duck recipe for the grill is really simple:

-Mix 4 parts Soy Sauce and 1 part cooking oil in a large bowl
    -Take a bunch of breast fillets and poke holes in them with a fork (try to get as much of the fascia or silver skin off as you can)
    -Drop the fillets in the Soy/ oil mixture and marinate for about 30 minutes
    -Grill the fillets over HIGH heat- about 4 minutes per side for mallards, less for smaller ducks

The Soy Sauce gives them a bit of a salty flavor but does not overpower the meat. Done properly thay end up tasting about like a medium rare tenderloin

scc
    LaX, WI

My favorite duck recipe for the grill is really simple:

-Mix 4 parts Soy Sauce and 1 part cooking oil in a large bowl
    -Take a bunch of breast fillets and poke holes in them with a fork (try to get as much of the fascia or silver skin off as you can)
    -Drop the fillets in the Soy/ oil mixture and marinate for about 30 minutes
    -Grill the fillets over HIGH heat- about 4 minutes per side for mallards, less for smaller ducks

The Soy Sauce gives them a bit of a salty flavor but does not overpower the meat. Done properly thay end up tasting about like a medium rare tenderloin

Andy68
    Rochester

Thanks guys i really appericate all those recipes. i now have to improve my shooting so i can try all those recipes.

Andy68
    Rochester

Thanks guys i really appericate all those recipes. i now have to improve my shooting so i can try all those recipes.

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

I love that recipe as well SCC!

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

I love that recipe as well SCC!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.