Well, How was it?

• fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Anyone get any ducks? I heard some shooting. I went scouting…didn’t see much. But I found a few spots I am gonne try later this year.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It was the usual….hot,crowded, little shooting, but still fun Our spot on Saturday was a bust as far as birds go. Sunday morning was still slow and this evening was a little better as far as sightings, but hardly any shooting done by us.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It was the usual….hot,crowded, little shooting, but still fun Our spot on Saturday was a bust as far as birds go. Sunday morning was still slow and this evening was a little better as far as sightings, but hardly any shooting done by us.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i heard a heck of a lot of shooting…right on through the the day…even after we left at 6:45, they were still blasting out there…What time are they supposed to get off anyway?? Just wondering…

PS…The bass are firing up..If i were any of you duck hunters, i would bring a couple rods with while you sit there waiting for those ducks..

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

i heard a heck of a lot of shooting…right on through the the day…even after we left at 6:45, they were still blasting out there…What time are they supposed to get off anyway?? Just wondering…

PS…The bass are firing up..If i were any of you duck hunters, i would bring a couple rods with while you sit there waiting for those ducks..

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

DNort and I heard shots going off in the distance all morning……

The funny thing was, we had ducks ALL AROUND US . These ducks knew exactly where NOT to be….

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

DNort and I heard shots going off in the distance all morning……

The funny thing was, we had ducks ALL AROUND US . These ducks knew exactly where NOT to be….

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

So when we going duck hun…I mean Bass fishing Slop?

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

So when we going duck hun…I mean Bass fishing Slop?

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Nothing special to report from the backwaters of our opener area…….our group ended up with 15 ducks Saturday and 13 Sunday…..ALL woodies and teal.

Woodduck numbers seemed similar or a bit lower than last year, but teal were UP (compared to almost no teal around last year)…..A few mallards were around, but showed no interest in where we were hunting (not a big duck spot) .

Hunter numbers also seemed down

Also got out this morning a little closer to home for a quick hunt…..Similar duck numbers, but some big ducks around too……not much flying after 7:15 …….was able to scratch out 3 (a mallard, woodie, and greenwing) along with a bonus honker by 7:45 when I had to take off.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Nothing special to report from the backwaters of our opener area…….our group ended up with 15 ducks Saturday and 13 Sunday…..ALL woodies and teal.

Woodduck numbers seemed similar or a bit lower than last year, but teal were UP (compared to almost no teal around last year)…..A few mallards were around, but showed no interest in where we were hunting (not a big duck spot) .

Hunter numbers also seemed down

Also got out this morning a little closer to home for a quick hunt…..Similar duck numbers, but some big ducks around too……not much flying after 7:15 …….was able to scratch out 3 (a mallard, woodie, and greenwing) along with a bonus honker by 7:45 when I had to take off.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

The new woodie decoys looked SWEET out on the pond

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

The new woodie decoys looked SWEET out on the pond

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Is that a beaver hut in the background?????

What kind of Woodie dekes did you get? I got some Greenhead gear last year, they look awesome.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

What kind of Woodie dekes did you get? I got some Greenhead gear last year, they look awesome.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

What kind of Woodie dekes did you get?

Yep….that would be a “Beaver Hut”…..not to be confused with a “Pizza Hut” …….unfortunatly for my waders, the beaver had been very busy making repairs to his hut this year…….ended up Sundays hunt with a 10″ gash around the ankles of my boots from one of his darn cuttings .

The woodie dekes are actually Remingtons new style……the look VERY similar to the GHG’s and seem to hold up as well as any deke.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

What kind of Woodie dekes did you get?

Yep….that would be a “Beaver Hut”…..not to be confused with a “Pizza Hut” …….unfortunatly for my waders, the beaver had been very busy making repairs to his hut this year…….ended up Sundays hunt with a 10″ gash around the ankles of my boots from one of his darn cuttings .

The woodie dekes are actually Remingtons new style……the look VERY similar to the GHG’s and seem to hold up as well as any deke.

scott942
    Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin

We had an AWESOME opener!!! Lots of ducks flying…mainly woodies. Seemed like there were a few more mallards than other years. Since I’m new to duck hunting, in spite of aiming advice from my father-and brother-in-law I ended up shooting 50 shells in 45 minutes, two ducks. Of course, I heard about that the rest of the weekend, but it’s all in fun. I did borrow four more shells from my B.I.L. before we went in and did get one more, so my ratio improved.

Had our limit on Saturday by 1:15, went back and listened to the Badger game

scott942

We had an AWESOME opener!!! Lots of ducks flying…mainly woodies. Seemed like there were a few more mallards than other years. Since I’m new to duck hunting, in spite of aiming advice from my father-and brother-in-law I ended up shooting 50 shells in 45 minutes, two ducks. Of course, I heard about that the rest of the weekend, but it’s all in fun. I did borrow four more shells from my B.I.L. before we went in and did get one more, so my ratio improved.

Had our limit on Saturday by 1:15, went back and listened to the Badger game

buckmaster

Just a little FYI to everyone……you cann’t group hunt. Everyone must know what they shot and the amounts, but I figured most already know that. Just putting it out there so everyone knows and no-one gets in trouble.

Happy Hunting!

buckmaster

Just a little FYI to everyone……you cann’t group hunt. Everyone must know what they shot and the amounts, but I figured most already know that. Just putting it out there so everyone knows and no-one gets in trouble.

Happy Hunting!

scott942

Yup, I know about group hunting, but thanks for the reminder. Got two Woodies, one drake Mallard Saturday, Two Woodies Sunday. Breasted ’em out after I got home and will get the slow cooker, cream ‘o mushroom soup and bacon ready.

“A good time was had by all”

Scott

scott942

Yup, I know about group hunting, but thanks for the reminder. Got two Woodies, one drake Mallard Saturday, Two Woodies Sunday. Breasted ’em out after I got home and will get the slow cooker, cream ‘o mushroom soup and bacon ready.

“A good time was had by all”

Scott

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Jake, would I be correct in assuming that big ‘ol Beaver hut is in the big swamp?

It looks awful familiar…

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Jake, would I be correct in assuming that big ‘ol Beaver hut is in the big swamp?

It looks awful familiar…

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

ScottyDog,

Where you hunt in PDC?

Thanks

MuskratMike

muskratmikes
    Up nort or down south

ScottyDog,

Where you hunt in PDC?

Thanks

MuskratMike

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

4 for 4 But we got checked by a Federal warden in pool 5. He said it was a lousy opener.But on a up note he said he found very few violations. The party about 1/4 mile from me opened up about 2 minutes to nine and killed a single goose.Do you think I should have reported them

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

4 for 4 But we got checked by a Federal warden in pool 5. He said it was a lousy opener.But on a up note he said he found very few violations. The party about 1/4 mile from me opened up about 2 minutes to nine and killed a single goose.Do you think I should have reported them

scott942

muskratmike.s,

My in-laws have some land south of town. Since I married into the family, I guess that lets me be included in their hunting and fishing activities.

Scott

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.