Shotgun Shells

• scott942
    Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin

What is your preference between Remington and Winchester? I have used both with my 12 gauge and like Remington better. I’ve have a few dry-fires with Winchester.

Scott

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

i like the winchester no particular reason just always used them especially on the honkers but last year for duck,pheasent,grouse,and dove’s i used the estate shells really cheap and i never had a problem with them at all!
    remington heavy-shot is supposed to be an awesome load though i have some buddies who guide geese and thats all there blasting!

Nick Dennison
    Rochester MN

i like the winchester no particular reason just always used them especially on the honkers but last year for duck,pheasent,grouse,and dove’s i used the estate shells really cheap and i never had a problem with them at all!
    remington heavy-shot is supposed to be an awesome load though i have some buddies who guide geese and thats all there blasting!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m a big fan of Kent Fasteel (fast steel?). I’ve heard patterning complaints from some, but I’ve never had a problem. Good shells and a good price. If I had to pick between Remington and Winchester, I’d pick Winchester. Their Supreme shells are my favorite, but too expensive for regular use.

John

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I’m a big fan of Kent Fasteel (fast steel?). I’ve heard patterning complaints from some, but I’ve never had a problem. Good shells and a good price. If I had to pick between Remington and Winchester, I’d pick Winchester. Their Supreme shells are my favorite, but too expensive for regular use.

John

Andy68
    Rochester

i’am like the estate shells. they are a good all around shell and they dont kick alot. the 3in 2s work good on ducks and geese. if you want proof look at the pics that jake has posted under the foggy youth day and you will see why.

Andy68
    Rochester

i’am like the estate shells. they are a good all around shell and they dont kick alot. the 3in 2s work good on ducks and geese. if you want proof look at the pics that jake has posted under the foggy youth day and you will see why.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

My personal favorites are the Winchster Hi volosity. the seem to pattern good and On youth day they brought down a Huge goose.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

My personal favorites are the Winchster Hi volosity. the seem to pattern good and On youth day they brought down a Huge goose.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Normally I would pick the winnies. Years ago I used to shoot peters shells exclusively. Then they made us use steel shot. Now days, I shoot Estate and Kent for two reasons. They are reasonably priced, and they are 1550 fps at a price WAY below anyone elses shells that are at least 1550 fps. If I can’t have density (lead), then I want SPEED but I dont wanna pay 20 bucks for 10 shells either.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Normally I would pick the winnies. Years ago I used to shoot peters shells exclusively. Then they made us use steel shot. Now days, I shoot Estate and Kent for two reasons. They are reasonably priced, and they are 1550 fps at a price WAY below anyone elses shells that are at least 1550 fps. If I can’t have density (lead), then I want SPEED but I dont wanna pay 20 bucks for 10 shells either.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

My vote goes to winchestes. I took a varitey of shells whin., rem., federal, kent, and some others all in the same shot size that I wanted to use and patterned them on a 4 ft. by 4ft. paper and my gun just patterened better with winchester.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

My vote goes to winchestes. I took a varitey of shells whin., rem., federal, kent, and some others all in the same shot size that I wanted to use and patterned them on a 4 ft. by 4ft. paper and my gun just patterened better with winchester.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

The winchester Hi-v also go 1550fps and around the same price as the Kents, but if you buy them at cabelas durring their fall sale they are around $20 cheaper per case, with a mail in coupon, than kent.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

The winchester Hi-v also go 1550fps and around the same price as the Kents, but if you buy them at cabelas durring their fall sale they are around $20 cheaper per case, with a mail in coupon, than kent.

lars
    Rochester, MN

I shoot a variety of shells for both my guns, a 12 ga. benelli M1-90 and a 10 ga. Rem. SP-10. I can say that I wish they sold Kent faststeel in 10 gauge because man that stuff is a great thing at a great price. The highest velocity at 1560, if you buy the right ammo, and it reaches out, way out. In the spring with the Benelli equipped with a pattern master, I have absolutely no problem bringing down snow geese with #4 Kent, and that is at ALL distances. Not to mention the lethality of #4 shot with a Imp. Cyl. at decoying Mallies!!

With my 10 I do prefer winchester just because I have had the most success with them, but for the right price I will use Federal. Remington is NOT on my list for several reasons, one is that when I first bought my 10 I purchased a 2 boxes of them and 7 misfired, ouch. The rest of them I fired had a lot of extra debris, gun powder?? that didn’t seem to burn???, I don’t really know but that much crap out of a barrel just can’t be good.

LARS

the GREEN one is the BEST one!!!

lars
    Rochester, MN

I shoot a variety of shells for both my guns, a 12 ga. benelli M1-90 and a 10 ga. Rem. SP-10. I can say that I wish they sold Kent faststeel in 10 gauge because man that stuff is a great thing at a great price. The highest velocity at 1560, if you buy the right ammo, and it reaches out, way out. In the spring with the Benelli equipped with a pattern master, I have absolutely no problem bringing down snow geese with #4 Kent, and that is at ALL distances. Not to mention the lethality of #4 shot with a Imp. Cyl. at decoying Mallies!!

With my 10 I do prefer winchester just because I have had the most success with them, but for the right price I will use Federal. Remington is NOT on my list for several reasons, one is that when I first bought my 10 I purchased a 2 boxes of them and 7 misfired, ouch. The rest of them I fired had a lot of extra debris, gun powder?? that didn’t seem to burn???, I don’t really know but that much crap out of a barrel just can’t be good.

LARS

the GREEN one is the BEST one!!!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I like the new “real life” photos of ducks and geese Remington put on their boxes this year……For that reason alone, I’ll be shooting their Hi-Speed Steel

But honestly….since I started working at a shotgun shell retailer, I’ve heard plenty of bad things about both (miss fires, poor patterns (especially from the estate brand)) ……..Although the number of positive comments for Winchester far out number the positive comments towards Remington (if that makes any sense).

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I like the new “real life” photos of ducks and geese Remington put on their boxes this year……For that reason alone, I’ll be shooting their Hi-Speed Steel

But honestly….since I started working at a shotgun shell retailer, I’ve heard plenty of bad things about both (miss fires, poor patterns (especially from the estate brand)) ……..Although the number of positive comments for Winchester far out number the positive comments towards Remington (if that makes any sense).

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Not steel, but at any rate… I have shot estates for trap league since it started. Not the fastest, I think they are 1255, but they are the cheapest so thats why I shoot them at 3.19 a box. Never had a single problem with them at all.

I reload all my own steel shot… try buying 1800 fps… speed kills!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Not steel, but at any rate… I have shot estates for trap league since it started. Not the fastest, I think they are 1255, but they are the cheapest so thats why I shoot them at 3.19 a box. Never had a single problem with them at all.

I reload all my own steel shot… try buying 1800 fps… speed kills!

dandrews
    Jesup, Iowa

I started using the Fiochi 3.5″,BB’s and 1’s goose loads 2 years ago and they are DEADLY!!! I then tried their 3″ 3’s load on ducks and worked great also. They are very fast and 10-14 dollars a box depending on where you look.

dandrews
    Jesup, Iowa

I started using the Fiochi 3.5″,BB’s and 1’s goose loads 2 years ago and they are DEADLY!!! I then tried their 3″ 3’s load on ducks and worked great also. They are very fast and 10-14 dollars a box depending on where you look.

ralphthenoober
    Las Vegas

both shells are good, i perfer remington, but i also carry a box of winchester hi-vol.dry lock. i got a new box of heavy steel from a customer that comes to my store in the mall of america. so i’ll try these freebies out. 3′ b shot for geese. if any members are at the mall stop by at al’s farm toys and say hi.

ralphthenoober
    Las Vegas

both shells are good, i perfer remington, but i also carry a box of winchester hi-vol.dry lock. i got a new box of heavy steel from a customer that comes to my store in the mall of america. so i’ll try these freebies out. 3′ b shot for geese. if any members are at the mall stop by at al’s farm toys and say hi.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hi Ralph,
    Are you the owner of Al’s farm toys? What ever happened to Al?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hi Ralph,
    Are you the owner of Al’s farm toys? What ever happened to Al?

kris_brantner
    My river

im very impressed with the new hevi steel. it worked wonders on the geese. still a little too spendy to buy a whole case, costing around 200 plus, but better than buying 10 shells for 20 bucks. i ususally use the winchesters for ducks, but i have a box and a half of the hevi steel that i will use for the ducks now

kris_brantner
    My river

im very impressed with the new hevi steel. it worked wonders on the geese. still a little too spendy to buy a whole case, costing around 200 plus, but better than buying 10 shells for 20 bucks. i ususally use the winchesters for ducks, but i have a box and a half of the hevi steel that i will use for the ducks now

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I like the Winchester Supremes, but the regular Winchesters and Remington’s do nothing for me. I find the Kent, Estate, PMC, and blue box Federals to be just as good for less money.

How much is the heavi-steel by the box?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.