Anyone been out on the river lately ?

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

The few pockets I did see were iced over. Most of the areas with current were mostly open, but they were icing up when we left. We pretty much ended up near the firing line tonight, so we didn’t get too far back. There was some good shooting farther back from the sounds of things. Also a lot of ducks were coming more from the river than from the reserve . We will also be out this Friday-Sunday if things work out

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I had to break a solid 3/4-1″ of ice this afternoon to get a hole open. Not many ducks around up here either

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I had to break a solid 3/4-1″ of ice this afternoon to get a hole open. Not many ducks around up here either

buckmaster

Freezing is getting out of hand now. Need some wind or some warm weather to keep things open somewhat, anyways for the weekend. I will be there weather the water is open or there is 3 inches of ice, doesn’t bother me. One less place those hog mallys can go I guess.

buckmaster

Freezing is getting out of hand now. Need some wind or some warm weather to keep things open somewhat, anyways for the weekend. I will be there weather the water is open or there is 3 inches of ice, doesn’t bother me. One less place those hog mallys can go I guess.

mudcatkid
    On water

more ice the better….. i like busting out the ax every now and then. i recal my best years when nearly everything is frozen. then i go set up the feild blind on the ice…..sssshhhh

mudcatkid
    On water

more ice the better….. i like busting out the ax every now and then. i recal my best years when nearly everything is frozen. then i go set up the feild blind on the ice…..sssshhhh

buckmaster

You want ice????? I think the dream has come true, we are getting it and plenty of it. Took a little stroll today and I see everything and anything that doesn’t have current or a hot spring running thru it is starting to freeze. Talked with a buddy last night and he was out yesterday and the river is starting to do the same thing. Guess he had a pretty slow day only shooting his gun 3 times, but getting 2 ducks. Hope some birds arrive tonight so I can whack them.
    Good luck to all this weekend.

buckmaster

You want ice????? I think the dream has come true, we are getting it and plenty of it. Took a little stroll today and I see everything and anything that doesn’t have current or a hot spring running thru it is starting to freeze. Talked with a buddy last night and he was out yesterday and the river is starting to do the same thing. Guess he had a pretty slow day only shooting his gun 3 times, but getting 2 ducks. Hope some birds arrive tonight so I can whack them.
    Good luck to all this weekend.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

We were out this morning and didn’t even pull the trigger. In fact never even shot yesterday afternoon either . Very few ducks flying, few places that are ice free, mixed with a lot of hunters makes for a tough hunt. I did however find a spot that is totally stacked with ducks and geese. Only problem is, they are in an open hole surrounded by a lot of ice. They are right on lake Onalaska and clearly visable from the road. Anybody with an airboat want to take me hunting .

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

We were out this morning and didn’t even pull the trigger. In fact never even shot yesterday afternoon either . Very few ducks flying, few places that are ice free, mixed with a lot of hunters makes for a tough hunt. I did however find a spot that is totally stacked with ducks and geese. Only problem is, they are in an open hole surrounded by a lot of ice. They are right on lake Onalaska and clearly visable from the road. Anybody with an airboat want to take me hunting .

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Well….Looks like we’re throwin in the towel for the year too . Went out Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday…..Never took a shot……Heck, today we didn’t even SEE a duck .

All the backwaters are frozen, and the few open areas of big water that are open aren’t holding any ducks anyway.

We had a couple unbelievable hunts over the thanksgiving week, but those ducks were here and gone within 3 days.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Well….Looks like we’re throwin in the towel for the year too . Went out Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday…..Never took a shot……Heck, today we didn’t even SEE a duck .

All the backwaters are frozen, and the few open areas of big water that are open aren’t holding any ducks anyway.

We had a couple unbelievable hunts over the thanksgiving week, but those ducks were here and gone within 3 days.

Viewing 13 posts - 91 through 103 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.